Search results to follow...

Four red cards at The Lamb as Southport take the points.

FT: Tamworth 0    1 Southport

23 April 2011

Dale Belford's second game in charge as caretaker manager saw Southport visit The Lamb with Tamworth needing a win against the Sandgrounders to all but ensure top flight non league football in 2011-12. However, a result the other way would see The Lambs forced to look to the final two games to try and hold off the challenges of Altrincham and Southport and stay out of the bottom four.

Belford made no changes to the side that recorded a fine 2-1 win at York City with Richard Tait and Danny Thomas hitting the 100 and 50 appearance milestones respectively.

On a gloriously sunny St. Georges Day welcoming the players onto the field - along with the teams ‘new' run-out tune - Haircut 100's ‘Love plus one', in what would no doubt prove to be a warm and draining affair, the visitors got the match underway, with Tamworth kicking towards the Meadow Street end.

Southport started brightly with Whalley trying to forge an opening down the left but he was thwarted by Barrow who conceded a corner on the right. The flag kick was cleared and The Lambs held possession down the Shed side of the ground.
Perry hit a wild shot over the bar from 20 yards on 5 and Sheridan tried to advance at McMillan but the keeper was quickest to the loose ball.
On 8, news came through that Newport were defeating Altrincham as Kissock forced Mitchell into a good save with a shot from the left forcing him to put the ball over the bar for a corner on the right and from the flag kick the ball was headed wide of the mark by Marsh-Evans.
A foul on Thomas in the left channel earned Williams a booking on 11 and Wilkinson struck it right footed but it was too long and went out past the far post for a goal kick.
A long range strike bounced just in front of Mitchell and he tipped it over the bar for another corner on the right on 14. The ball rebounded around the area and Barrow cleared off the line from Kedsham.
A handball on the left of the box gave Southport a freekick which Mitchell gratefully received.
It took the Lambs keeper two kicks to clear his lines on 16 and another freekick was given away on the left which Wilkinson eventually cleared.
Southport's Turner went down under a challenge from Christian Smith on 21 earning the Wrexham loanee a booking and allowing time for a drinks break.
Turner then made some headway into the area but Smith cleared and the clocked ticked on with the ball predominantly in the Lambs half in the possession of the Sandgrounders, but there was little to comment on in terms of attacking moves - in fact the ball spent more time in the air than actually touching the grass on the pitch.
Newport went 2-0 up on 33 and after a drop ball Perry was booked for seemingly having a shot which forced the keeper to tip the ball over the bar. No goal kick was given and the referee awarded a freekick the opposite way much to the bemusement of all on the pitch and on the terraces.
On 36, the Lambs won a freekick on the right and when the Southport defender headed it clear, in an acre of space, the referee awarded the visitors a freekick - again, for reasons unknown to those watching.
Perry was then seemingly knocked to the floor by an elbow chasing the ball into the box and nothing was awarded, but the need for him to change his shirt due to a blood injury (forcing him to play with cotton wool packing in his mouth) suggested otherwise.
McMillan was forced into his first real save of the game on 43 when the ball came across from the left and Lake-Gaskin hit a shot on target which the keeper parried away.
Two minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half which ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Southport

The Lambs kicked off the second half towards the Castle End, and won two freekicks on the left. The first was headed away and the second, further into the field of play fell to Courtney but he was unable to get any power onto his shot on the turn on the left of the six yard box.
Moogan was booked for a challenge on the half way line on 50 as Kettering scored from the spot again Forest Green.
The Lambs won a corner on the left on 52 which went short to Thomas and Lake-Gaskin but Southport broke and Marshall had to put the ball out when Tait went down under a challenge from Kedsham.
Sheridan then saw his name go into the book for a flick out at Moogan on 55 who denied Lake-Gaskin's run into the box with a timely challenge.
Newport stuck a third past Altrincham as Tamworth won a freekick by the clubhouse, but Perry was adjudged to have fouled and McMillan restarted play off the floor.
Southport kept the ball in the final third of the field just past the hour and won a corner when Courtney headed a long throw from the right behind and the ball was scrambled home by Daly to give the visitors the lead (0-1, 63 mins)
Daniel Bradley entered play shortly after for Lake-Gaskin and Jason Bradley came on for Smith three minutes later and Tamworth pushed forward but the Sandgrounders defence held strong.
A foul on Dan Bradley set up Thomas with a right sided dead ball on 69 and Dan headed at goal, but McMillan dived to stop it crossing the line and Thomas cut into the box by the touch line but rifled a shot into the side netting.
Injury to Daly brought a stop in play on 73 and the ball bobbled around the Southport box but was cleared as Tamworth went in search of an equaliser, but Southport countered and won a corner on the right. The Lambs countered from the flag kick and Sheridan's ball was nodded back across goal for either Bradley to take a shot, but the flag was already up for offside.
A high ball in from Marshall to Perry forced McMillan to drop his catch under pressure but Sheridan was unable to get to the chance in time.
Thomas skipped past his marker down the left and crossed for Perry to hit a volley towards goal, but it rose over the bar and didn't trouble McMillan.
McGinn hit a drive at goal on 86 which Mitchell got his fingertips to, to give Southport a corner which they wasted.
Tamworth won a corner just short of the 90 minutes but it went straight through and out for a goal kick as four minutes added time was shown.
Tait was booked as the time ticked down and Southport made a change with less than a minute left on the clock.
There was then a case of handbags and lack of control on the pitch all round in the Southport area and confusion reigned until a red card was shown against Marsh-Evans and Mitchell.
Wylde and Tait were also shown red after the whistle and the referee had to be escorted from the pitch.

Tamworth Team:

Mitchell L, Tait, Marshall, Courtney, Perry, Thomas, Lake-Gaskin (Bradley D 63), Sheridan, Smith C (Bradley J 66), Barrow (Wylde 78), Wilkinson
Subs: Connor, Farrell

Yellow Cards: Perry 33, Smith C 20, Sheridan 55, Tait 90+
Red Cards: Mitchell 90+, Tait 90+, Wylde 90+

Southport Team:

McMillan, Lever, Whalley (Blakeman 90+), Moogan, Daly (Gray 78), McGinn, Marsh-Evans, Williams, Turner, Kedsham, Kissock (Barratt 71)
Subs: Morley, Dickinson

Yellow Cards: Williams 11, Moogan 50
Red Cards: Marsh-Evans 90+

Attendance: 994

Man of the Match: CFCUK chose Jake Sheridan

Referee: D. Mohareb

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures