Search results to follow...

Lambs take the lead but have to settle for a point

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Wrexham

29 March 2011

On the back of a good point away at Grimsby on Saturday, Des Lyttle made two changes to the starting eleven. With Christian Smith unable to play against his parent club Danny Thomas returned to the starting eleven and Ben Wilkinson took the place of Scott Barrow who started on the bench.
Dean Saunders 4th placed side, on the back of a weekend victory over Welsh neighbours Newport, would be out to give The Lambs a run for their money as both sides looked for points for different reasons.

Wrexham got proceedings underway kicking towards their travelling faithful at the Meadow Street End and from a deep freekick from inside their own half the visitors forced Tamworth to defend strongly before a foul on Wilkinson allowed The Lambs some respite.
Tait fired a right footed volley for Bradley to head at goal on 4 but he was too far forward and the ball went out well wide of the near post.
Morrell hit a right footed shot at goal from the right of the box on 7 forcing Mitchell to parry out for a corner and play was halted for an infringement in the build up.
Farrell battled for the ball by the right corner flag on 9 and won a freekick after being fouled by Sinclair while at the other end Tait had to be quick to boot the ball to safety after it ballooned into the area.
A great run by Lake-Gaskin down the right saw him cut past his marker and put a low ball into the far post on 15. Bradley got a touch on the low cross and made Maxwell protect his goal, but what the effort had in direction it lacked power.
For all the enthusiasm on the field, a string of more than a couple of passes was hard to come by and Farrell did well to cut the ball back on the left of the box on 18 only to find defenders in his way.
Play quickly switched to the other end and Morrell found space to fire a shot from 18 yards at goal but put his shot just wide of the right hand post.
Lake-Gaskin cut into the box on 23 and fired a shot at the near post forcing Maxwell to bat the ball behind for a corner but it was headed clear and Wrexham broke down the right through Pogba whoo unleashed a wayward cross.
A deep ball from the left from Wylde on 28 bounced first over the head of Jason Bradley and then over the head of Lake-Gaskin and then a quick free kick forced Mitchell to catch the ball at the second attempt.
Mitchell's resulting long ball down field forced Maxwell to jump high and seemingly out of the area but neither the referee or his assistant spotted anything untoward despite loud shouts of handball by the Lambs faithful and play continued.
Mangan tried a shot from the left channel on 32 but only managed to concede a throw in on the right with a swirling curling strike and the same player launched another powerful effort miles high and wide of the mark on 34.
With both sides playing at such speed and being unable to string more than a couple of passes together it's almost as if someone has kept the ‘hoof' button down on the controller in a game of footy on [insert your favourite games console].
Harris and Mitchell went for the same ball on 35 and the Wrexham player had to leave the pitch after coming off worse, as the keeper caught the ball, but there were calls for a booking from the stands against the opposition man.
Tait launched a long cross from the right on 37 and Maxwell had to push it out for a corner at his far post. The flag kick was headed back from whence it came and Thomas tried again allowing Tamworth to keep possession until Sinclair booted it away.
And so into the final five of the first half and Harris hit a shot at goal from a central position outside the area but a deflection took it out for a corner, and the Lambs cleared to the half way line. As Courtney lay on the ground nursing a bad back from an earlier challenge, Wrexham captain Keates fouled on the edge of the Lambs area allowing play to take a respite and Mitchell to restart, ending with a snap shot from Daniel Bradley which was hit well but off ultimately target.
Tait did very well to deflect a cross from the right behind past the far post with his chest on 45 as one minute added time was shown at the end of the half.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Wrexham

The Lambs started the second half and immediately sprinted down field with Lake-Gaskin firing a cross into the box but it was too strong and whistled out of play on the opposite side.
A Mangan ball into the area from the right caused a little confusion in The Lambs box and Morrell fired a half volley over the bar from 8 yards and on 55 another high long hoofed ball into the box almost found the same player but it was too quick for high to get anywhere near.
A crunching foul from Obeng on Wylde on the left wing on 58 left the Lambs defender on the ground  needing treatment and earned the Wrexham player a booking but the freekick was gathered at height by Maxwell.
What looked like a high boot on Daniel Bradley on 62 left the Lambs midfielder prostrate on the floor and the freekick was given the visitors way.
On 65 the visitors won a corner on the right after a game of pinball in the box. Daniel Bradley headed it away and Keates put the ball back in but Mitchell collected under pressure.
Daniel Bradley hit a low direct shot at goal before Pogba went in late on the same player by the touchline and after captain Marshall was calmed down by the referee the Wrexham player was booked.
Mitchell restarted play with a long deep freekick which was headed away but the ball went straight back in by Daniel Bradley and Jason Bradley beat Maxwell to the ball to head it strongly over incoming keeper into the far corner (1-0, 69 mins)
A foul by Harris on Daniel Bradley in the centre of the park went unpunished from the restart and Lake-Gaskin was forced to rush back and defend as Wrexham played some neat passing into the area as Saunders made his first change of the evening and shortly afterwards, Lyttle made a double change.
The ball spent a fair while in the Lambs box around the 80 minute mark, but Tamworth defended strongly and although sub Folwer did get a shot away from 18 yards Mitchell saved the slow moving deflected effort.
And just as programmes were being scanned for the last home clean sheet of the season (there haven't been any in 2010-12 - all four have come away from The Lamb), the scores were level on 82 when Keates fired home from close range after Mitchell had parried an initial shot from Morrell. (1-1, 84 mins)
Thomas crossed invitingly for Jason Bradley to head for goal but Maxwell got a hand to it and from the corner the ball fell for Tait at the far post but he was unable to keep his left footed shot down from a tight angle and just cleared the woodwork.
The Lambs poured forward breaking from a Wrexham attack on 87 but Jason Bradley was offside from the through ball and in the final couple of minutes The Lambs to played with 10 behind the ball  at times but came forward in numbers as four minutes added time was shown.
Tamworth won a corner when Obeng put the ball behind from a right sided Perry cross and although it was half cleared, Tait sprinted up to launch a long through into the area which Sinclair headed behind for a flag kick on the right which came to nothing.
There was plenty of huff and puff from both sides in the final throws of the game and The Lambs took the point.

Tamworth Team:

Mitchell L, Tait, Marshall, Courtney, Wylde, Thomas, Lake-Gaskin, Bradley J, Bradley D, Wilkinson (Sheridan 76), Farrell (Perry 75)
Subs: Mitchell A, Perry, Hendrie

Yellow Cards: Perry 84

Wrexham Team:

Maxwell, Obeng, Ashton, Blackburn (Fowler 75), Harris, Mangan, Morrell, Keates, Sinclair, Creighton, Pogba (Taylor 72)
Subs: Andrews, McMillan, Cieslewicz

Yellow Cards: Obeng 58, Pogba 68

Away attendance: 430

Attendance: 1082

Man of the Match: Chosen By Polesworth Garage: Jason Bradley

Referee: Mr. C. J. Knowles

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures