Search results to follow...

Lambs come back for vital point

FT: Grimsby Town 2    2 Tamworth

26 March 2011

Tamworth made the early journey to Blundell Park, Grimsby for a 1pm kick off in search of a change in form to try and put some daylight back between themselves and the ever approaching bottom four.
Bouyed in the knowledge they had already beaten their hosts twice this season, once at home in the league and once on the oppositions turf in the FA Cup The Lambs were looking for a similar result, however it came, beside the seaside once again. However, Grimsby, would be out to impress their new bosses in their first outing under a new management duo of Rob Scott and Paul Hurst.
Des Lyttle shuffled the side that suffered defeat at Altrincham the previous weekend with three changes to the starting eleven. Danny Thomas didn't start his first league game of the season and Kyle Perry, struggling with a knee injury also took a place on the bench, while there was no room for Stuart Hendrie in the squad. This allowed Tom Marshall, Jason Bradley and Aaron Farrell to take to the field for kick off.

The home side got the game underway, kicking towards the small band of travelling faithful, with The Lambs decked out in the blue away kit.
Grimsby had the early pressure but Lake-Gaskin played a good ball down the right wing to Farrell to chase on 3 which his teammate was unable to control to get a cross in. A similar ball from the same player in the next move was too strong for Tait to chase.
An attempted trap by Barrow didn't come off and allowed the home side to knock the ball through to Connell who in turn put the ball into the next from 6 yards on 5 but the flag had already been raised for offside.
Daniel (Bradley) tried a curling left foot strike from the left of the box on 9 but Arthur was equal to the effort and when play quickly ran to the other end, handball set up Eagle with a freekick on the left. Jason (Bradley) put a boot in to clear it but Grimsby kept possession until a foul was conceded.
A foul on Jason then allowed Tamworth to push up as Barrow lined up a freekick in front of the main stand and Marshall was just too quick, getting his header in a little too early, but Jason won a corner as the ball ran long which was cleared. Lake-gaskin made a good run into the left channel but his cross was cleared and at the other end Coulson looked to add to his tally of 23 with a shot from a tight angle which didn't trouble Mitchell.
Another Lambs corner came on 13 which Barrow saw headed away at the near post and Arthur collected Wylde's resulting long throw.
But the opening goal came on 15 via a left footed volley at the far post by Eagle after a defence splitting ball down the right for a cross from Connell who got the better of Wylde and Barrow. (0-1, 15 mins)
tenacious play from Bore on 19 saw him beat Wylde and Barrow and put the ball into the area from the right wing but the final shot was straight at Mitchell before Coulson unleashed a powerful drive for goal from the right channel and Mitchell pulled off a flying save to deny him.
From the flag kick the ball came out but Coulson received it again and curled a right footed shot just over the corner of bar and post from 25 yards as Tamworth struggled to get a grip on proceedings.
Farrell whipped a low ball past the far post from the right of the box on 26 and Mitchell escaped an embarrassment on 27 catching his clearing kick with his studs which stopped the ball running into the path of Eagle who was bearing down on him.
The Lambs then enjoyed a spell of pressure mainly through Tait and Lake-Gaskin and the latter won a corner on the half hour on the right which Wylde rose to head but could only direct it some distance past the back post.
The Lambs defence coped with a double strike at goal on 33 after Coulson got the ball into the box from the right but held strong.
The Mariners were forced to make a substitution on 35 which halted the frenetic pace of the game for just a few seconds and not for the first time, Tamworth played the ball back to Mitchell from the halfway line to try and slow things down a bit.
A long ball downfield was well chased by Farrell as the three minutes added time was shown but with Arthur advancing to close him down quickly his prod past the keeper was off target but brave, nonetheless.
Arthur collected under pressure from Wylde but when the ball was played downfield Marshall felled Connell to give Grimsby a freekick 25 yards out and Coulson's shot at goal was tame and eventually made its way back to Mitchell before the whistle blew.

HT: Grimsby Town 1    0 Tamworth

And so to the second half, which Tamworth started attacking the away end containing 71 Lambs fans but it was Grimsby who scored on 48 when Wylde's, underpressure by the corner flag saw his tame clearance  fall to Hudson and he picked his spot superbly placing the ball into the far corner. (0-2, 48 mins)
Connell lifted the ball over the bar from the edge of the area a couple of minutes later and a corner was conceded from more Grimsby pressure on 52 which Mitchell touched behind past the far post for another and Mitchell clawed the ball out following a long range shot from the worked short corner.
Duffy spun to strike for goal with a volley on 55 but missed the near post by a few feet following another ball down the Lambs left side and Connell found space in a similar position a minute later but fired wildly off target.
A rare shot from The Lambs came via Smith on 58 forcing Arthur in a regulation save but the same player was then booked for a transgression in the centre circle as Lyttle prepared to make a change on the field.
Tait played a fine long ball into the box from the right on 59 but Barrow's header was completely off target and Thomas came on to replace him.
A low freekick from Wood made it's way all the way ot the far post and Mitchell kicked it out for a corner under pressure. Marshall dug the ball out but Grimsby quickly got it back only for the offside flag to deny the run of Coulson who was in acres of space down the right again.
Thomas won a freekick on the left on 64 but it was long and went out of play and as play switched to the other end Coulson tried a snap shot / chip and beat Mitchell but also the woodwork by some distance.
A Lake-Gaskin corner was headed at Arthur forcing him to make a double save at his near post on 66 in a crowd of players (making it hard to see from this angle who actually got the final touch).
Leading scorer Connell was replaced by the fresh legs of Adameno shortly after and Perry came on as Wylde made his way into the box but no one could get a touch onto the ball to force it home.
Tamworth pulled a goal back when Lake-Gaskin and Farrell performed superbly to set up Perry to score with almost his first touch on 71, pulling the ball back from the right to the far post to give the Lambs striker the whole goal to fire into from 6 yards (1-2, 71 mins)
At the other end Adameno turned on a ball to his feet and shot over the bar from 18 yards on 75.
Ridley hobbled form the field for treatment to an aggravated ankle on 79 and his replacement, Peacock, booted the ball out for a corner from the half way line a minute later which saw Marshall fire the ball home from close range after Perry's header had been blocked on the line. (2-2, 80 mins)
Bore forced a flag kick on the right on 86 cannoning the ball off Wylde as he advanced into the box from the right wing but Marshall was on hand to head the corner away, however Mitchell was unable to prevent a corner on the opposite side and Duffy headed towards goal from the penalty spot only to see his effort go over the bar.
Daniel almost set up a Lambs winner on 89 forcing his way into the box but seeing his final ball hoofed clear as Perry and Farrell waited for the low cross and four minutes added time was shown when Marshall headed a deep cross behind for a Grimsby corner which bobbled around but came to nothing.
Mitchell was booked for time wasting and a penalty appeal was waved away when he and Adameno went for the same ball in the area in the 93rd minute.
The home side pressed in the final minute and Bore won another corner after Perry headed away the danger. Mitchell pushed the ball to safety from the flag kick and Daniel booted it away as the final whistle sounded with Tamworth a lot happier than their hosts about the final result.

Tamworth Team:

Mitchell L, Tait, Marshall, Courtney, Wylde, Smith C, Lake-Gaskin, Bradley J (Perry 70), Bradley D, Barrow (Thomas 60), Farrell
Subs: Mitchell A, Sheridan, Wilkinson

Yellow Cards: Smith C 58, Thomas 88, Mitchell 90

Grimsby Town Team:

Arthur, Bore, Ridley (Peacock 79), Hudson, Cummins, Coulson, Duffy, Watt (Wood 35), Connell (Adameno 68), Atkinson, Eagle
Subs: Thanoj, Croudson

Yellow Cards: Duffy 68, Coulson 83

Attendance: 3002

Referee: Mr R Joyce

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures