Search results to follow...

Eighth defeat in ten for Lambs

FT: Altrincham 2    0 Tamworth

19 March 2011

For the visit to Moss Lane and with Jay Smith ruled out with a knee injury, Des Lyttle welcomed Liam Mitchell back in goal and Seb Lake-Gaskin in the starting eleven alongside new signing Christian Smith. Although they admit the commentary from the game may be a bit biased, check out some live fans coverage courtesy of Alty fans by visiting

The home side got the game underway kicking towards the uncovered end of the ground where the Lambs fans were congregated and the first shoot of the game came in the third minute when perry tried an audacious long range shot from the right of the area which went wide of the mark.
The opening few minutes were a scrappy affair with neither side taking control, although The Lambs did look the more comfortable on the ball.
A foul against Perry on 9 set up Barrow with a freekick 30 yards out in the left channel and although the home side tried to clear their lines it eventually fell to Tait who put a cross in from the right which Coburn collected.
Perry brought Joseph down with an apparently stray elbow on 11 and Connors raised his arms to the Lambs forward but no cards were shown and Joseph needed a few moments with the physio before returning to the field.
Barrow was perfectly at left back positioned three times to deny balls into the area falling to Altrincham players around the quarter of an hour mark but the Robins kept coming forwards strongly until the same Lambs defender got the ball away for a fourth time in as many moves.
A ball from the left from Brown was met on the half volley by Twiss on 20 and the shot span just high and wide of the far post in the best chance.
Tait conceded a poor corner on 22 when trying to hook a simple ball clear and Baines received the ball back after a poor short corner, whipping the ball back into the area and no one got any touch on it as it whipped past the far post by just a few feet.
Perry tried a one two on the outside the area but was brought down and won a freekick on 26 setting Barrow for a ball into the box but the offside flag halted play.
Some neat interplay between Perry and Hendrie set up Bradley on 28 but he lifted his shot well off target and didn't cause Coburn any problems at all.
Lake-Gaskin tried his luck from distance on the half hour but was off target with his effort and other option had looked open to the Lambs midfielder. Tait then won a corner which Lake-Gaskin drove into the box but nothing came of it and Alty regained possession.
Mitchell raced out to deny Reeves a short back pass by Tait but when the ball came back his way Tait tried it again with an absolutely suicidal back header and the same Alty player advanced from a hugely offside (if play had come from his own player) position and scored (0-1, 36 mins).
Barrow advanced down the left and curled the ball onto the head of Hendrie on 40 forcing Coburn into a fine but easy save on the line.
A flowing move from Alty was stopped by Barrow as Twiss advanced on the return ball and a corner was conceded which Mitchell caught well.
Lake-Gaskin and Perry linked up on 44 but the former was brought down just outside the D and Smith curled his freekick just wide of the right hand post with Coburn stranded as one minute added time was shown before the whistle blew.

HT: Altrincham 1    0 Tamworth

Smith and Hendrie restarted the game with The Lambs attacking the 45 travelling fans desperate for a change in fortune and Thomas hit a low shot forcing Coburn into a save at his far post to win an early corner which Perry headed towards goal, but an infringement halted play.
Another flowing move from the home side ended with an easy clearance for The Lambs when the final ball from Reeves went into no man's land, but exposed the frailties in the Tamworth defence.
Alty forced a left sided corner on 52 and played it short before Perry headed the danger away and Hendrie chased down a long ball forward and won a corner but Smith saw his volley well blocked and Coburn collected.
Bradley and Connors clashed inside the Alty half on 56 and both players were spoken to by the referee before Tait launched the ball onto the head of Courtney whose header went wide of the far post.
Wylde was adjudged to have fouled on the right wing on the hour handing the home side a freekick but the ball was too strong for substitute Johnson at the far post.
Then, a complete mix up at the back allowed Lawton to cross the ball into the box from the right and Johnson headed it against the cross bar and it went straight down into the goalmouth, but despite the best efforts of Mitchell the ball was called by the linesman to have crossed the line to extend Alty's lead (0-2, 60 mins). Mitchell was booked for his protests against the goal and Jason Bradley replaced Hendrie up front for The Lambs and Sheridan came on for Thomas four minutes later.
Perry, harshly nicknamed ‘submarine' by the home fans around the press box, was felled by Williams on 62 earning the Alty player a booking and The Lambs went in search of a way back into the game.
The Lambs then conceded two quick freekicks for needless handballs and tackles allow Alty to move closer to the area and on 72 Baines struck a rising deadball over the bar via a deflection.
In a rare Lambs attack, Lake-Gaskin crossed from the right for Perry to head at goal, but the cross was too long and his attempt went high and behind.
Mitchell denied Reeves a goal on 75 with a low fingertip save to his left from a shot from the edge of the area which came about via the home side exposing a static Lambs defence.
Perry struck the bar with a powerful header on 78 which cannoned back off the woodwork but Coburn managed to get a touch on it before it was cleared away while at the other end Reeves looked for his second but was off target under pressure from the left of the box.
Perry was on the receiving end of a crunching tackle and stray boot from Joseph on 80 and Farrell came into the fray for the final throws of the game.
Tamworth won a couple of corner inside the last five minutes but neither threatened the home goalmouth and Wylde had to put a good tackle in to deny the run of Johnson on 87.
Three minutes added time was shown before the end of the game and Johnson sprinted through but struck the far post with Mitchell beaten shortly before the whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Mitchell L, Tait (Farrell 83), Courtney, Wylde, Perry, Thomas (Sheridan 66), Lake-Gaskin, Bradley D, Smith C, Barrow, Hendrie (Bradley J 62)
Subs: Marshall, Wilkinson

Yellow Cards: Mitchell 60

Altrincham Team:

Coburn, Smith J, Joseph, Williams, Lawton, Reeves, Twiss (Johnson 57), Brown (Bateson 70), Baynes, Connors (Danylyk 84), Piergianni
Subs: Dootson, Beesley

Yellow Cards: Williams 67

Attendance: 895

Man of the Match: Chosen by the press bench: Scott Barrow

Referee: Mr T. Harrington

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures