Search results to follow...

Lambs fall to Stags

FT: Tamworth 0    2 Mansfield Town

05 March 2011

After Tuesday night's 3-1 win over Kettering Town, Tamworth embarked on two tough games in 4 days with The Stags visiting The Lamb on a drizzly afternoon ahead of the midweek trip to face The Hatters.
Des Lyttle made no changes to the squad looking for a repeat performance and three more points to try and widen the 12 point gap from the bottom four, and a win would also see his side leapfrog Mansfield, 2 points and 2 places ahead in the table.

A note about the referee for those who are reading this in conjunction with the matchday programme - following a hold up on the M6 Andy Woolmer was called in to take the place of the scheduled Mr. Graham.

The Lambs kicked off the match towards the Meadow Street End, with Perry, celebrating his 25th birthday the loan man up front.
Mansfield won an early freekick on the right which Cann which was cleared and play switched to the other end but the visiting defence were too strong and denied a through ball from Bradley.
With the Shed in fine voice early on Tamworth won a corner on the left on 6 but the ball back in was taken at height by Grof.
Sheridan and Tait combined to stop Briscoe mopping up the loose ball and advancing into the area on 12 and on 14 Perry took the brunt of a challenge on the left wing which left him holding his ankle and requiring treatment. Play resumed with a drop ball on the half way line and Perry returned to the action.
A weighted pass over the half way line from Smith released Bradley down the left and he cut back before striking for goal from 25 yards, but the effort rose over the bar.
After a chat by the dugouts, the fourth official left pitchside on 21 handing Degsy Bond the board and then Mitchell pulled off a brave bloke to deny Connor who pounced on a poor back pass and advanced into the box.
The fourth official returned shortly after seemingly none the worse for his short sojourn but swapped the board for flag with the linesman on his side of the field.
there was a 16 man set to in the Mansfield half of the field when Thompson went to ground with Bradley and Murray shaking hands after a stiff talking to from the ref.
Non-malicious tackles were now the order of the day making for an good game to watch, however, a foul on Thomas did bring a freekick on the left on 33 and the same player set the ball up but not before Perry and a couple of Mansfield defenders were told to calm down. Thomas whipped the dead ball into the box, but Grof collected Wylde's tame header with ease.
Town won a corner on 35 but nothing came of it and won another on the right on 38 which Moult turned on with his back to goal at the far post, only to lift it high over the target.
After battling extremely hard for the ball out of midfield and advancing to the edge of the area, Tait was very lucky to escape a straight red card for a two footed tackle Spence while at the other end Spence went down in the Tamworth box a minute later, but there was no question that he had not been touched prior to hitting the turf.
A foul by Wylde on the left side of defence handed Cann a freekick which came to nothing, and then Courtney and Connor exchanged words by the clubhouse corner and from the freekick Briscoe was adjudged to have been offside when he rattled the ball past Mitchell into the net.
Two minutes added time was shown at the end of the half, as Wilkinson found himself on the end of a hefty challenge on the half way line but Spence and Connor worked together the clear the danger.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Mansfield Town

Referee Woolmer returned for the second half with a new yellow shirt, after clashing with the dark blue of the visiting team, who restarted the game.
Mansfield went on the offensive and the ball pinged around the Lambs box in the early exchanges and they won a corner on the right on 50 which was hoofed clear.
Wylde went down under a tough challenge on 52 giving Mitchell the freekick in front of the Shed as the rain got heavier and on 54 Silk took out Thomas from behind causing another bout of handbags and a booking for the Mansfield man.
The deep freekick was nodded behind for a Tamworth corner and Grof collected at his near post before Mansfield moved up the field down the right with a succession of throw-ins and finally a corner, eventually cleared by Tait.
The game continued to be a battle all over the park with neither side gaining much of an advantage although Mansfield enjoyed a spellof pressure past the hour and reaped the rewards when Moult crossed from the left for Cain to volley home from close range. (0-1, 65 mins)
A flowing move out of defence gave Moult the chance to double the lead but he curled his shot wide of the right hand post and Mitchell had to sprint out to deny the same player a minute later.
Jason Bradley replaced Wilkinson on 69 but when played resumed Briscoe finished from the edge of the area, cutting the ball into the far corner with a fine low strike to put The Stags in control (0-2, 69 mins)
A deep corner was nodded back into the danger area by Daniel Bradley but Wylde was unable to turn his shot goalward and as the play went up the field Smith was booked for a tackle in the Mansfield half.
Perry was brought down by Sandwith on 79 on the edge of the D and Smith and Barrow stepped up to try and get their side back into the game but the ball hit the wall and Courtney's follow up was a mile off target.
Daniel Bradley struck a rising ball towards goal from the left wing and Grof made his first save of the game, pushing it over the bar for a corner which allowed Tamworth to keep possession and when Thomas sent in a dead ball from the left Perry was just inches away from connecting at the far post.
Grof flapped at a high ball into the area on 84 and Daniel Bradley dinked the ball back into the box but it dropped the wrong side of the bar.
Smith was clattered to the floor by Cain 25 yards out on 86 and picked himself up to take the kick causing Grof to punch powerfully away and out for a corner on the right which was too high for Jason Bradley at the far post.
Daniel Bradley tried his luck with a long range effort on 88 which curled high and wide of the mark and three minutes added time was shown.
And so, Mansfield took the three points back to Nottinghamshire and The Lambs home Saturday hoodoo continued.

Tamworth Team:

Mitchell L, Tait , Courtney, Wylde, Smith (capt), Perry, Thomas, Sheridan (Kamara 75), Bradley D, Barrow, Wilkinson (Bradley J 69)
Subs: Mitchell A, MacKenzie, Christie

Yellow Cards: Tait 41, Smith 75

Mansfield Town Team:

Grof, Silk, Sandwith, Briscoe, Thompson, Naylor, Spence, Connor, Cain, Murray (capt.), Moult (Mitchley 81)
Subs: Marriott, Foster, Nix, Smith

Yellow Cards: Silk 54

Attendance: 1162

Man of the Match: Chosen By Zero One Design: Duane Courtney

Referee: K.A. Woolmer (Northants)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures