Search results to follow...

Valiant Lambs unable to make it through

FT: Carlisle United 3    2 Tamworth

27 November 2010

Des Lyttle's Lambs arrived at Brunton Park with a couple of inches of snow having already been shovelled off the pitch and with the plastic protection being removed, so there were no doubts that the game would go ahead and it was largely due to the sterling work of the United ground staff who deserve a lot of praise for their efforts.

And so to the magic of the FA Cup, Sponsored by E.On, with a place in the third round awaiting the victors. Lyttle made two changes to the side that played at Cambridge with Rodman and Marshall coming into the starting eleven, while Mitchell and MacKenzie took a place amongst the seven on the bench.

After the ceremonial stuffed fox was removed from the field and the pre-kick off Lambs huddle The Cumbrians got the game underway kicking towards the ‘Unison Stand'.
Inside the second minute Thomas fed Rodman through the right and the latter hit an angled shot which Collin pushed around the post for a corner but nothing came of it.
 The Tamworth players and supporters were showing no signs of being overawed by their League One opponents, with the massed travelling in fine voice and the players matching the home side in the opening exchanges.
Robson got the better of Tait in the left of the area on 8 who saw his driven low ball cleared for a corner which Chester headed goalward giving Atkins his first real touch of the ball thanks to an easy take.
Rodman received a stiff talking to from Mr Mathieson on 10 after booting the ball away when a decision went against him and on 11 Oakes floated a freekick from inside the centre circle into the box which Perry met with his right foot, but was unable to get on target in the second great chance of the game for Tamworth.
Marshall cleared a danger move by the home side on 12 but the ball was worked back in and his namesake on the opposite side curled a shot over the far upright.
Bradley chipped forwards and found the head of Perry eight yards out on 13 but Collin was well placed and pushed the ball out allowing Thomas to follow it in but a combination of two defenders cleared off it off the line which Smith received and his shot was then blocked in the area and cleared.
Another half chance fell to Perry on 17 but it was only a half chance as the ball pinged around the box and Collin scrambled back to stop the ball.
Less than 60 seconds later the same player cushioned a volley / shot over the bar from the edge of the area then on 23 a quick break by Carlisle saw Marshall push forward down the right but Barrow was in the right place to put him off his stride as he shaped to cross.
A spell of Carlisle pressure saw Zoko fire across the face of goal from the right of the box on 26 and a deflection took it out for a corner which Tamworth struggled to clear until a wayward pass halted the Cumbrians.
A foul on Tait on the right wing allowed Oakes to set up a freekick chance on 29 and from the dead ball Marshall headed home in a similar fashion to Perry's at Cambridge last weekend. (1-0, 30 mins)
The home fans were not particularly impressed with the scoreline and expressed their views vocally as the first half went on and although United chances were few and far between this was no time for complacency as Lyttle urged his player on from the technical area.
Bradley ran onto a dinked header from Rodman on 44 and unleashed a right footed volley, but failed to hit the target, the shot going wide of the left hand upright instead and when Thomas got the ball on the left he curled a pass into the box but Bradley was unable to get a boot onto the ball which would almost certainly have seen Tamworth two up at the break.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the half and Wylde brought down Zoko on the edge of the area which Robson fired into the box and Tait cleared.

HT: Carlisle United 0    1 Tamworth

Tamworth kicked off the second period as Carlisle made two half time changes, and appeared much more lively than they had in the first forty five minutes.
And on 49 Berrett struck right footed for goal, Atkins got a touch and the ball rebound off the right hand upright perfectly for Madine to finish from close range (1-1, 49 mins) and a loud penalty claim against Barrow on Zoko was waved away by the referee a minute later.
A now resurgent home side won a corner on 53 which Berrett took on the right and Rodman headed away but Marshall won another with a deflection off Oakes. Rodman attempted to clear but Carlisle were camped out in the Lambs half and it took a calm pass from Oakes to Rodman to ease the pressure.
The home pressure was unrelenting and it took a tame shot at Atkins to slow the pace down again on 57.
Marshall did well to hold off the pressure of Zoko down the left on the hour but Tait was unable to stop the ball from going behind for a corner and Barrow cleared the danger.
With the home side packing the Lambs half and play very disjointed but mainly in their favour another corner was won on 65 but a foul on Perry allowed play to halt and on 66 the same player hit a hopeful effort on target but it didn't really trouble Collin from distance.
Mrshall won another Carlisle flagkick on the left on 67 with another deflected cross and Atkins was equal to the ball in as he was from Cruise's header from a left wing cross on 69 and a Marshall shot from the edge of the area on 70 and again from the same player 30 seconds later.
Then Atkins pulled another top draw save out of the bag from Zoko's curling shot on 72.
A searching freekick from Oakes was met by Perry at the far post, but Collin was in his way and the ball went behind from his touch.
On 74 Thomas was bundled to the floor on the edge of the area setting up Oakes who hit the left hand upright and Thomas finished with a drilled shot from the left of the box. (2-1, 75 mins)
Carlisle won a freekick on the left wing on 79 which Marshall headed away and at the other end Oakes hit a low shot which Collin spilled but Bradley was offside as he tried to finish from 6 yards.
Both sides made a change with 8 to go and Bradley was booked for a late challenge on 84.
As Bojang warmed up on the touch line the home side pushed forward again and when Marshall crossed low from the left Zoko finished from 6 yards with a deft touch to level the tie once again (2-2, 86 mins)
Atkins stopped a shot at his near post from Marshall with his feet for another home corner which  the keeper took easily.
Smith picked up a booking in the 90th minute and when the ball came in from the freekick Chester nodded the ball inside the far post to give his side the lead (2-3, 90 mins)
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and Tamworth made two further changes as Atkins drove a freekick forward in hope of an added time equaliser as the clock ticked down.
But despite a valiant effort over the 90 minutes, it wasn't to be and United progressed through to the next round of the competition.

Tamworth Team:

Atkins, Tait (Lake-Gaskin 90), Oakes (Bojang 90), Wylde, Marshall, Smith J, Perry, Rodman (Sheridan  82), Thomas, Bradley, Barrow
Subs: Mitchell, MacKenzie, Wilkinson, Connor

Yellow Cards: Bradley 84, Smith 90

Carlisle United Team:

Collin, Simek, Robson (Thirlwell HT), Taiwo (Curran 82), Zoko, Marshall, Madine, Berrett, Chester, Eastham, Comminges (Cruise HT)
Subs: Hurst, Cook, Caig, Todd

Attendance: 3599

Referee: Mr. S. W. Mathieson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures