Search results to follow...

First point for the Caretaker boss

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Gateshead

13 November 2010

Tamworth welcomed Gateshead to The Lamb with Des Lyttle still looking for his first league win, despite FA Cup success.
With Kyle Perry out through suspension Richard Tait returned from his one game ban into the starting eleven, while Ross Atkins took up his position between the posts again after James Severn had returned to Derby County.

After a minutes silence was respectfully observed around the ground Gateshead got the match underway with Tamworth attacking the almost empty away end (until a large number of lambs fans made their way into the ‘away end') for the first forty five minutes.
A corner was won from Clark's defensive header on 3 and although  it was cleared Wylde launched a long throw from the same side, allowing Tamworth to keep up the pressure until the ball went out of play for a goal kick.
With the sun  dropping behind the Castle End, long shadows made their way up the field although neither side was able to put anything meaningful together in the opening exchanges.
Indeed, it continued much in the same manner well into the first quarter of the match until Brittain knocked a free kick to Turnbull who swept a low effort into the arms of a grateful Atkins on 15.
Bradley had the Lambs first shot on target, or indeed shot, on 18 courtesy of a long range effort from the right of the field which Farman collected.
Rodman tried to tee up MacKenzie on 20 with a cross from the left but it was cut out on the edge of the area as the latter shaped to strike a volley.
Brittain shot from distance on 22 straight at Atkins but the largely disjointed affair continued until Rodman crossed looking for Thomas in the box and Gate headed behind, not far past the post, for a corner on the right. Oakes stepped up as Bradley received treatment for an earlier tackle, and Tait swapped his socks, but his kick was too long to Mitchell to do anything useful with.
Smith hit a right footed volley on the turn on the half hour and Thomas drove for goal with a left footed strike a minute or so later which caused Farman to push the ball wide of the far post for a corner.
Oakes' flag kick which was cleared by the visiting defence who quickly broke only for Winn's final pass out of midfield to lack direction and allowed Atkins to gather easily.
The first booking of the game went against Gate who took the ankle of Oakes on the halfway line on 40 and from the freekick the ball fell invitingly for Smith at he far post, and although he cleared the bar with his effort the whistle had already been blown for a push in the build up.
Gate was penalised for a leading arm challenge on Oakes on 43 but MacKenzie's dead ball was easy for Farman to catch.
And then, as is out of nowhere Smith received the ball in space after a header back from Thomas and let fly with a curling shot from 25 yards on the left of centre into the far top corner (1-0, 44 mins)
Two minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half which ended with The Lambs in front.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Gateshead

Tamworth went out on the attack from the kick off and MacKenzie floated a cross into the box but Farman was equal to it.
The Lambs were moving the ball around quicker than in the first half and on 53 Thomas passed down the wing for Barrow to cross looking for Bradley at the far post, but again Farman was able to collect at height.
Then, on 55 Bradley floated a teasing cross to the near post and Thomas' header looked to ne going into the net inside the near post but a reflex deflection form Farman saw the chance go the wrong side of the woodwork.
Tamworth had half chances from the corner with MacKenzie seeing a shot charged down.
More good movement from the home side warmed the crowd up but Bradley's shot from the edge of the area was scuffed as he lost his footing on 57.
Tait whipped the ball in for Smith on 59 but his attempt at a swivelling shot 8 yards out was mistimed and the ball bounced up for Farman to gather and sent Gateshead up the field.
On the hour, from a freekick, Curtis headed well wide of the mark but Gateshead kept up the pressure and won a corner on the left on 63 after the Lambs defence had been forced to work hard to try and clear the danger.
Chaos ensued in the area when Atkins, under pressure, was unable to catch Kay's ball into the box cleanly and Mulligan finally forced the ball over the line for the equaliser (1-1, 63 mins).
Mackenzie and Smith were lectured by the referee on 66 after a foul by Smith inside the Tamworth half and as The Lambs were forced to defend deeply Gateshead tried to find another way through but ultimately failed as passes from both sides went short, wayward and generally nowhere they were intended to.
The ‘Heed won another corner this time on the right on 69 which both Rodman and Oakes headed it clear but Tait was forced to boot the ball away from danger when Kay got the ball back on the left wing and crossed into the box.
A foul by Clark on Rodman on the right set up Oakes with the deadball on 70 and Mitchell headed goalward but Farman dropped to collect. From the goalkick Barrow was felled by a stray arm and needed attention on the pitch before returning to the action.
A Smith back heal found MacKenzie in the area with a shooting chance on 74 and farman stopped but didn't keep hold of the ball. It rolled everso slowly towards the line, but the keeper was able to recover and prevent the goal and despite loud shouts from the rest of the ground, those fans behind the net, with the best view did not celebrate early.
Tait was booked for a debatable challenge on Baxter on the halfway line on 76, perhaps for ‘appearent intent' rather than actual contact, and a corner was won by the visitors on 77 which Curtis glanced well wide of the far post and then needed attention having been clattered going for the ball leaving his side a man down for a minute or three before being replaced.
Smith was fouled from behind 35 yards out on 82 but it went unpunished as the ball made it's way to Farman and no booking was shown shortly before Rodman was replaced by Lake-Gaskin.
Turnbull flashed a shot inches wide of the far post from the right of the box on 84 and it took a deflection for a corner which saw Kay challenge hard on Bradley as Lake-Gaskin sprinted forwards but the latter was unable to locate a team mate who could keep up while Kay's challenge was not called back.
A deep cross from the left found the head of Mitchell on 87 but his aim was off target and a corner was won on 89 which Bradley headed home, but the whistle had already blown for a foul in the build up (again!).
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and both sides worked hard to get the ball to their respective other ends when they had possession but the final whistle blew on points shared.

Tamworth Team:

Atkins, Tait, Oakes, Wylde, Mitchell, Smith J, MacKenzie, Rodman (Lake-Gaskin 83), Thomas, Bradley, Barrow
Subs: Marshall, Sheridan, Wilkinson, Connor

Yellow Cards: Tait 76

Gateshead Team:

Farman, Baxter, Gate, Curtis (Jones 80), Clark, Brittain, Turnbull, Shaw, Nelthorpe (Wake 90+), Winn (Mulligan HT), Kay
Subs: Ferrell, Porter

Yellow Cards: Gate 40

Attendance: 802

Man of the Match: Chosen by CFCUK: Daniel Bradley

Referee: J. Collin

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures