Search results to follow...

Diamonds steal the win in added time

FT: Tamworth 1    2 AFC Rushden and Diamonds

16 October 2010

After the midweek departure of Gary Mills, Des Lyttle stepped into the managers shoes in a caretaker capacity and was joined on The Lambs bench by Wolves coach Martin Prentice.
There were no surprises with regard the team selection other than a new keeper in James Severn from Derby County who came straight into the team following the last minute recall of Ross Atkins to the Rams squad.

From the kick off Jay Smith hit a shot from the half way line which cleared the bar by just a foot or so then on 3 Power fed Johnson in the area who tested Severn with a low hard shot which he didn't manage to hold onto, but he was well protected and the danger was cleared.
A Lambs attack saw the visitors do everything to clear the danger on 6 and Rushden won a corner on 10 which Stuart sidefooted into the area and Severn parried before Howe mopped up before rifling home from 6 yards (0-1, 10 mins)
But The Lambs were back in it within 60 seconds when tenacity from lake-Gaskin paid off as his right sided cross fell perfectly onto the head of Perry who powered home at the far post (1-1, 11 mins).
Stuart felled Perry by the clubhouse corner on 12 and Smith saw his freekick squirm through to Day in the Diamonds goal.
Rushden won another corner on 13 which Rodman cleared and Thomas ran on to, he fed Rodman but when the ball was laid back to Thomas in the left channel his shot cleared the goal by some margin.
O'Connor tried to get a shot away from 12 yards on 14 but found the Lambs backline in no mood to be beaten and as the home side moved forward Rodman fed Smith and although his attempted cross was cleared Bradley struck a low shot from 25 yards which curled wide of the right hand post.
Marshall was forced to put the ball behind for another corner this time on the left, which Rodman and Wylde cleared.
Sills needed prolonged attention after going down on the right wing on 18 coming  back on a minute later as play continued without him, and play was halted on 24 when Rodman needed a visit from the Lambs physio.
Bradley prevented Jamie Day from getting a shot away conceding a corner in the process but the visitors kept the ball and won a freekick on the right which was headed up in the area and a foul on Severn brought play to a stop.
Howe somehow missed the target after skipping into the area and evading the lunge of Marshall and Tait before firing over the bar from 15 yards on 27.
Another shot from Howe came on 30 after Wylde was unable to prevent him turning and firing into the arms of Severn.
A minute later Thomas crossed from the left and the defence half cleared but Smith followed up with a volley which forced Day into a good save low to his right.
Wilkinson came on for Rodman nine minutes before the break and Tamworth won a corner on 37 when a deep cross was head behind and although Smith's near post chip was cleared The Lambs kept up the pressure, ending with a hopeful reverse shot on the half volley from Lake-Gaskin which was way off target, but well intentioned.
Tait put in a telling header to deny the incoming O'Connor a far post header on 40 as The Lambs were faced to defend in numbers as the visitors pushed forward.
Huke was booked for a challenge on Perry outside the centre circle in the Rushden half and Smith looked for the run of Wylde, but the defender was nowhere near the ball when it came in.
one minute added time was shown at the end of the first half and Rushden won a corner when Marshall cleared the ball but was then forced to head it behind from the return. The flag kick was cleared and the whistle blew.

HT: Tamworth 1    1 AFC Rushden and Diamonds

Rushden started the second half and a midfield battle ensued for the opening five minutes with neither side able to take control of proceedings.
Howe moved unhindered down the left and into the area on 51 ultimately firing a tame effort wide of the far post and despite the best attention of Tait and Marshall, O'Connor took the ball into a similar position on 53 only for fire high and wide of the near post.
With the sky threatening a downpour and the sky getting darker by the second Rushden won a corner and although at least two players from either side went down, the referee had no hesitation in award Tamworth the freekick as the rain came down and the lights came on.
Lake-Gaskin needed treatment on the field for cramp on the hour giving the rest of the players a brief respite and drinks break as the Shed burst into song.
After a period of pressure from the visitors, Tamworth pushed forward and Tait found Perry at the far post with a dink over the area from the right only for Huke to clear his effort off the line on 67.
Then on 69 Howe found time and space to hit a shot at goal and found both Severn and the top right hand corner of the wookwork in the way.
A corner was the result and from the ensuing play, another was won on the other side which Severn collected at his near post.
A long throw from Wylde on 73 caused some anxious moments for the travelling fans behind the Meadow Street goal as shots were tried, but Rushden cleared the danger.
Perry then fed Wilkinson's run into the box but Day dropped to smother the loose ball and MacKenzie came on for Lake-Gaskin.
Wilkinson hit a straight right footed shot from outside the area at Day on 80 which the keeper dealt with and on 85 Wylde made headway to the edge of the area but after a surging run his final shot let him down and went failed to test the keeper as it rose high and harmlessly over the target.
Wylde deflected the ball over the crossbar from a Rushden move down the left and Severn punched the flagkick clear as three minutes added time was shown.
And as the Lambs pushed forward Rushden broke through Charles and his ball made it's way across the box from the right for Power who side footed into the far corner to give the visitors the lead (1-2, 92 mins) and all three points.

Tamworth Team:

Severn, Tait, Marshall, Wylde, Smith, Rodman (Wilkinson 36), Thomas, Lake-Gaskin (MacKenzie 78), Bradley, Barrow, Barrow
Subs: Oakes, Mitchell, Connor

AFC Rushden and Diamonds Team:

Day, Osano, Stuart, Huke, Porter, O'Connor, Sills (Charles 82), Howe (Corcoran 90), Day J, Johnson (Spence 72), Powers
Subs: Roberts, Robinson
Yellow Cards: Huke 42

Attendance: 1002

Man of the Match: Chosen by Cogsdill, Nuneaton: Severn

Referee: R. J. Simpson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures