Search results to follow...

City end unbeaten run

FT: York City 3    1 Tamworth

25 September 2010

Tamworth got the game underway kicking towards the York fans in the Meadow Street End and won an early corner which was taken by Ingham at his near post.
The Lambs started the game very much on the front foot with Rodman bursting into the box inside the third minute, but his low cross from the left was cut out and cleared.
Shortly after, Thomas tried a shot from distance which flashed wide but York came forward and Rankine forced the first real save of the game from Atkins with a right footed drive from the left.
Sheridan lifted the ball over the target from 20 yards on 6 and Rodman hit a wild effort off target on 11 after The Lambs defence blocking a shot from the York strikers at the Castle End, Sheridan found time and space to try a curling shot at goal on 13 but his aim was off.
Barrett was given a belated ticking off for a foul on Sheridan when Lambs advantage broke down on 14 and on 17 a good move finished with a chipped cross from Rodman on the left of the box which floated onto the roof of the net with Ingham stranded at his near post.
Thomas won a corner on the left on 21 which Smith chipped to the near post and as the ball came back in Perry almost lost his shirt but nothing was given so Tamworth drove on forward ending when Barrow hit a low tame effort at Ingham.
When Rankine ran into the box after Wylde onto a miss kicked back pass Tait lunged in and the referee had no choice but to award a penalty. Both players were going away from goal so Tait got a yellow card as Rankine dusted himself down to take the spot kick which slipped under Atkins and gave the visitors an undeserved lead (0-1, 26 mins)
Wilkinson tried to get one back in the first move from the kick off but saw his low shot and on 28 Gash got his head onto a Rankine left wing cross but Atkins, in close quarters, managed to punch it clear.
The Lambs won another corner on the half hour mark from Thomas's deflected cross which was half cleared and when Thomas put the ball back in, Perry put his header straight into the arms of the visiting keeper.
Sheridan stole the ball off gash as he shaped to shoot from 15 yards on 33 and play switched to the other end, with Sheridan setting up Perry for a left footed shot which went but a whisker wide of the left hand upright.
Racchi hit a strong right footed shot at goal from 18 yards on 37 which Atkins parried before Marshall cleared and Atkins was called into action again from Gash's central header, diving low to his left to gather the ball on 39.
Ingham dropped to smother a fierce right footed strike from Smith on 40 and the keeper needed a visit from the physio giving a brief respite in play.
Handball by Young midway inside his own half earned the City player a booking but Smith's freekick crept over the line for a goalkick.
Tait fed Perry as the fourth officials board was shown, but the linesman's flag denied his left footed ‘goal' and two minutes added time was played before the whistle blew for the break.

HT: York City 1    0 Tamworth

York got the second half underway but a penalty shout at the other end when Smith appeared to be felled in the area was not given.
Barrow was brought down by the corner in the next move and the ball was whipped in but headed away as Tamworth continued to press with Sheridan, starting with his back to goal, curling the ball wide of the far post from a central position.
Lawless took Barrow out with a reckless challenge on 54 and a well worked freekick saw Smith fire at goal from distance, which missed the target by a just few feet.
Thomas's left sided cross was cleared just in time off the boot of at least two Lambs men in the box on 56 but it was 2-0 to York on 58 when Lawless received the ball at his feet and turned his marker before firing in the net from 8 yards. (0-2, 58 mins).
Thomas won a corner by the tea hut on the hour which City broke from through Racchi who curled a pass to Meredith but Wilkinson was strong and prevented the left back from getting a shot away.
Mills made the first change of the game with Lake-Gaskin replacing Sheridan.
Perry won a corner which came back out to Wilkinson on 65 but the shot came back out and Young dropped to the floor requiring treatment both on and off the field as Bradley came on for Wilkinson.
York continued with ten men on the pitch as Smith tried a spectacular overhead kick which went wide before Young's replacement came onto the field.
Marshall and Rankine went for the same ball on the left wing on 72 leaving the Lambs defender on the floor in obvious pain from his left leg, but play continued despite his discomfort and when the ball was played back into the box from the opposite side Fyfield stabbed home the third goal of the afternoon from a yard out. (0-3, 73 mins)
Rodman went for the ball 10 yards out of the box but was impeded by McGurk who became the third York booking of the afternoon on 80 and Barrow blasted the freekick into the net to give his side a lifefline (1-3, 81 mins). Gash was booked for holding onto the ball rather than putting it on the centre spot as his side took their time to kick off again.
The referee's assistant spotted a foul by Rankine on Perry on the edge of the box on 84 setting up Rodman, but he cleared the wall and the goal with his strike.
Lake-Gaskin brought down Meredith giving Lawless a strike at goal from the left side on 87 but instead of shooting he played it to his right and Racchi's subsequent shot was blocked and the same player did a similar thing a few minutes later but again bodies were flung in the way to halt his shot's progress towards goal.
A minimum of four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game as Smith scuffed a shot from 18 yards wide of the left hand upright.
At the other end Atkins denied Gash with a stop at his feet and The Lambs won a corner in the last few seconds which Mitchell flicked on before it was headed behind for another on the other side but the full time whistle blew and ended a fine run of seven unbeaten games.

Tamworth Team:

Atkins, Tait, Marshall (Mitchell 73), Wylde, Smith, Perry, Rodman, Thomas, Sheridan (Lake-Gaskin 63), Barrow, Wilkinson (Bradley 67)
Subs: MacKenzie, Lyttle

York City Team:

Ingham, Meredith, McGurk, Parslow, Lawless, Gash, Barrett, Rankine (Dowson 85), Fyfield, Young (Courtney 69), Racchi
Subs: Knight, Till, Constantine

Attendance: 1282

Man of the Match: Chosen by CFCUK: Barrow

Referee: M. Heywood

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures