Search results to follow...

Lambs come back to win it at the death

FT: Histon 1    2 Tamworth

18 September 2010

After midweek distraction from the league in the Birmingham Senior Cup, Gary Mills Lambs returned to league action at The Glass World Stadium, Histon.
The hosts did the double over Tamworth last season, including a cold Tuesday night encounter in Cambridgeshire when then manager Alan Lewer fielded an understrength side following enforced budget cuts.
The Lambs lined up exactly as they had done against Grimsby Town seven days previously in search of a seventh league game unbeaten against the 20th placed team in the league which could see the side rise to second in the table.

Histon kicked off the match, with Tamworth in their blue away kit, and in the second minute a long throw from Zak Mills on the left was headed high and wide by Danny Mills.
On 4 Rodman won a corner when Thomas' long ball was just too high for Perry in the area and Smith dinked the flagkick forward but it was cleared at the near post.
Lambs pressure through Sheridan on the left released Thomas on 7 but his cross from the byline was too much for Perry to control with a header and Histon cleared.
Jay Smith was disciplined by the referee on 9 for punching the ball away following a foul on Riza by the half way line which left the Hitson man needing treatment for a sore back.
A slip by Wilkinson and poor pass out of defence allowed Riza to run at goal with just Atkins inn his way, but thankfully for The Lambs a quick flag by the linesman on the opposite side halted play.
Histon pushed on in the 17th minute and Barrow was forced to head behind for a flag kick which Atkins punched away off the head of Ilesamni at the far post and the home side continued to look for the opener with Zak Mills firing a shot just wide courtesy of a slight deflection, however the corner came to nothing despite Atwood's good low ball, drilled into the danger area.
Danny Mills forced Marshall to concede another flagkick after a strong run into the box on 22 and they kept up the pressure without testing Atkins until a long ball into the box was collected by the Lambs custodian.
Danny Mills continued to make a nuisance of himself as Histon enjoyed the lions share of possession and on 28 Riza stuck a shot which cannoned back off Marshall and then bent the rebound but found Atkins in fine form to tip the swirling ball over the crossbar.
Danny Mills, Riza and Sparkes combined to put Tamworth under the cosh and it took some timely and well positioned defending to deny the home side the opener.
A lapse in concentration by Clerima on 33 allowed Thomas to nip in down the left and although he got the ball back into the path of Perry the Lambs frontman was unable to get anything more than a tame shot at goal.
Tait won a corner for Tamworth after a spell of keeping Histon inside their own half on 36 which Perry nodded towards the near post, but Marshall got to the ball past the woodwork and his shot went wide.
Riza was called off side as he put the ball into the net on 37 from Sparkes threaded pass through the Tamworth back four.
Perry was unable to get a shot away as every gap in the Histon defence closed around him on 40  and it was the home side that took the lead on 41 when Riza headed from a few yards out after persistent play from Danny Mills into the right of the box saw his chip come shot fall nicely for a close range finish. (0-1, 41 mins)
An additional 2 minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half and Thomas got a cross from the left of the area onto Rodman's head, but it was easy for Welch to gather.

HT: Histon 1    0 Tamworth

Tamworth got the second half underway with the small band of travelling fans behind the goal hoping for a net ripple or two in their direction as Bradley came on to replace Wilkinson.
There were calls for a foul on Thomas in the box on 48 but they were hopeful shouts as Tamworth appeared to have been given a dressing room dressing down at the break, playing with more fervour and vigour.
A very quick counterattacking move from Histon brought a corner on 54 which Atkins collected at height and when Smith floated a freekick into the area on 55 Marhsall's nod down to Wylde brought only a tame shot from 6 yards which Welch gathered easily.
Another quick break by the home side saw Sparkes drive at goal from the left wing causing Atkins to catch his shot at the second attempt.
Barrow got in the way of a Danny Mills shot on the hour after ball was not cleared and the Histon man got a shot away and Atkins took Ilesamni's header from the flag kick at chest height.
Lake-Gaskin got his first run out of the season on 61 coming on for Sheridan and a quick break saw Jay Smith's pass to Rodman win a corner on the right on 63 and a penalty was won after Wooton handled Wylde's header on the line which earned the Histon man a straight red card. From the spot kick, Perry hit his 6th of the season to level the tie, albeit via the post and the keeper. (1-1, 66 mins)
Histon replaced possibly their most dangerous player, Danny Mills, shortly after and Tamworth pushed on against the ten men of the home side looking for a winner with Perry heading over from a central position from Tait's cross on 68.
Tamworth tried to go forward and Thomas found the head of Perry on 80 causing Welch to punch clear and then Thomas drove the ball strong and low into the area but Rodman was unable to turn the ball into the goal and it rolled wide of the far post.
Perry nodded a deep Tait cross down for Bradley on 83 but his shot rolled into Welch's grasp from 8 yards and then a foul on the edge of the area on Bradley, inches from being inside the box, set up Marshall to strike left footed but he cleared the goal and the small stand behind it.
Perry was booked for visibly counting the seconds it took Welch to release the ball on 86 which the travelling fans then repeated at full volume as the Histon keeper took another kick from his hands shortly after.
Smith and Barrow discussed a left sided freekick on 87 before the former put the ball into the danger area only to see it hooked away and then with a minute remaining Barrow hit the ball with the outside of his left boot and into the net via the left hand post from outside the area. (2-1, 89 mins)
Four minutes added time was shown and a corner was won by The Lambs on the right which came to nothing and then Histon tried to get back into it via a left sided freekick which was deep but ultimately too long.

Tamworth Team:

Atkins, Tait, Marshall, Wylde, Smith, Perry, Rodman, Thomas, Sheridan (Lake-Gaskin 61), Barrow, Wilkinson (Bradley HT)
Subs: Mitchell, MacKenzie, Lyttle

Histon Team:

Welch, Okay, Clarima, Ilesanmi, Mills Z, Mills D (Smith L 66), Wooton, McCrae, Sparkes, Rize, Attwood (Clarke 84)
Subs: Lawton, Taaffe, Adjei

Attendance: 653

Referee: Mr. R. Atkin

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures