Search results to follow...

Lambs defeat 10 men Mariners to go fourth

FT: Tamworth 2    1 Grimsby Town

11 September 2010

After a seven points from the last three run outs lifting The Lambs to fifth in the table Grimsby Town visited Tamworth for the first time in their history, positioned one place higher in the table.

Gary Mills made one change to the side that defeated Mansfield a week ago, with Daniel Bradley ruled out, handing Jake Sheridan his first start of the season.

Grimsby got the game underway kicking towards their vociferous fans in the Meadow Street End and went on the offensive but Tamworth countered and Rodman saw a shot blocked in the area after cutting from the right.
Ridley struck a left footed freekick into the area on 7 which was cleared and on 8 Thomas floated a pass from the left which found Rodman just offside on the opposite side of the penalty area.
Perry was pushed in the back and won a freekick on the left hand side of the box on 9 which Rodman hit into the wall and Smith volleyed the rebound well wide on the mark.
Another push in the back against Perry won a freekick midway into the Grimsby half on 14 and Smith almost found Wylde in the area, but all was not lost as Thomas put a deep ball to the far post for Perry to nod down and Rodman struck right footed into the far corner to open the scoring (1-0, 14 mins)
Perry was dragged to the floor by the dugouts on 17 and Sheridan and Rodman did well but the chance went thanks to a hefty clearance by the visiting defence.
Once again Perry was knocked to the floor on 20, and once again it was Kempson who was the perpetrator, earning himself a booking for his troubles.
On 26 Tait lost Wood on the edge of the area and he managed to prod it under the advancing and diving Atkins but it rolled wide of the left hand post.
Smith picked up a booking on 28 for a late challenge on Bore but Gobern's freekick troubled no one as it flew unhindered into the away end.
A period of attacking football by the visitors in a crowded box saw both Tait and Rodman take knocks as the Mariners tried to get a shot away and it wasn't until the foul on Rodman that the referee stopped play.
Barrow was brought down by Gobern in front of the home dugout on 35 in a challenge that left the Lambs man needing treatment on the field and saw the Grimbsy man pick up his side's second booking.
Then on 38 Perry fired home the second goal of the afternoon to lift the roof on The Lamb once again following Thomas' low ball from the left which evaded all but Perry who turned his fifth goal of the season in from 6 yards, leaving O;Donnell flat footed.
Gobern struck from distance and cleared the bar by a few feet shortly after and a corner was forthcoming on 41 when Marshall was unable to keep the ball from going out.
A whipped in cross from Sheridan on 45 was deflected unintentionally back to O'Donnell as Thomas then Perry waited to pounce.
A loud shout for handball against Marshall was waved emphatically away by the referee as the first half's three minutes of added time drew to a close with the Lambs able to go in at half time two goals to the good.

HT: Tamworth 2    0 Grimsby Town

Tamworth got the second half underway and there was little to chose between the two sides in the opening minutes. The first shot of the second period came from Gobern on 51 but he curled a powerful drive high and well wide of the right hand post.
Kempson caught Sheridan on the left wing and The Lambs no. 14 needed a visit from the physio before continuing. Barrow restarted the game with a freekick which O'Donnell took at height.
Connell rattled the woodwork with a powerful drive from distance on 54 as Grimsby looked for a way back into the game, but Marshall was on hand to nod the rebound back to Atkins.
Sheridan felled Bore on the right of the box on 57 and Atkins caught Ridley's freekick easily as it swung towards the far post.
Neil Woods made a double change just short of the hour and on 65 Peacock looked to have got through down the left channel into the area, but his final shot was blocked and the ball rolled harmlessly wide.
Grimsby got one back on 69 when, after looking like the ball may have gone out of play as it was hooked over the half way line Hudson pushed it through to Connell who prodded it past Atkins as he advanced to try and cut the angle on the edge of the box (2-1, 69 mins)
Grimsby were reduced to 10 men on 71 when Kempson brought down Perry on the edge of the area and the visitor had already been booked so when the referee showed him a second yellow card his reward was an early shower.
MacKenzie replaced Wilkinson with 18 to go and on 75 a foul by Watt on Perry brought dissent from the Grimsby player and earned him a booking in the process.
Despite the numerical disadvantage Grimsby continued to try and push forward and on 81 Corner volleyed over the bar from 18 yards.
Perry wasted a glorious chance to set up Sheridan on 84 but decided to go for glory, with a shot from the right which was way off target, when the latter was running into the box with just one defender covering.
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and when Cummins unleashed a shot at goal which Atkins fumbled but then grabbed back as it rolled towards the line, Corner slid in and a melee ensued resulting in Tait and Bore picking up a booking. Atkins finished the game with a patch on his forehead and the whistle blew on another fine three point performance.

Tamworth Team:

Atkins, Tait, Marshall, Wylde, Smith J (capt) , Perry, Rodman, Thomas, Sheridan, Barrow, Wilkinson (MacKenzie 72)
Subs: Oakes, Mitchell, Lake-Gaskin, Lyttle

Grimsby Town Team:

O'Donnell, Bore, Ridley, Hudson, Kempson, Gobern (Corner 58), Cummins, Peacock (Garner 82), Watt, Connell, Wood (Eagle 59)
Subs: Leary, Croudson

Attendance: 1616

Man of the Match: Chosen by Practical Car and Van: Danny Thomas

Referee: R.L. Metcalfe

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures