Search results to follow...

Lambs do it against the top side again

FT: Mansfield Town 0    1 Tamworth

04 September 2010

Following a four out of six point haul over Bank Holiday weekend, including a fine victory over the then leaders Luton Town, Gary Mills took his side to Field Mill to face the new leaders - David Holdsworth's Mansfield Town who included last season's Lambs captain Chris Smith in their ranks.
Mills made no changes to the side that had come back from Aggborough with a point in the previous game.

Mansfield kicked off the match with Tamworth facing towards the travelling faithful and an early freekick from Jay Smith was whipped into the box, but collected by Marriott.
Bradley and Thompson clattered heads in the centre of the park shortly after causing an early stop in play but thankfully both seemed to recover after treatment and were able to continue. However a few minutes later Bradley was visibly shaken and had to be replaced to a round of applause from the whole crowd.
The home side won a corner on 11 which Mills' hit long to Adam Smith who set up Foster but he was wildly off target with his effort from inside the box.
Another flag kick came for The Stags on the opposite side on 15 and although nothing came of it directly, the home side kept up the pressure until Marshall cleared the danger.
Rodman burst down the right wing and into the area but his final ball looking for one of three Lambs in the box was cut out by a defenders boot and from a long kick forward on 19 Perry was beaten to the ball by Silk.
In a counterattacking that followed a quick spell of Mansfield possession move Barrow fed Perry on the left of centre of the 18 yard line but he flashed his shot over the bar.
Barrow then blocked a shot from 18 yards from Connor on 21 and when the ball came back out to Mills he tried his luck from 25 yards but was off target.
Wilkinson put a late sliding challenge on Adam Smith on 22 for a booking  setting up Sandwith to chip forward for Parker to head for goal and Atkins pulled off a routine stop to deny the opening goal.
Marshall then hit an underspinning ball at goal from the left wing which Marriott gathered and then as Mansfield pushed forward Perry was penalised for backing in to his opponent on the half way line.
Perry held off the challenge of Chris Smith to chest the ball down to Sheridan on 27 and he screwed his shot wide of the left hand upright.
The Stags then tried to exert some pressure but Tamworth countered through Thomas on the left and he cut the ball back for Wilkinson who shot home with the aid of a slight deflection, although Marriott was already beaten (1-0, 30 mins) and if you are reading this and had the winning 50/50 ticket - announced as 28 minutes - well done, but even the stadium clock said 15 minutes of the half remaining!
Jay Smith nipped into the area to clear a Mansfield attack that had drawn Atkins a little out of his comfort zone on 36.
Perry was called up by the referee for another foul on Smith on the halfway line on 39 and Jay Smith was called over to talk Perry on 40 when a similar foul was penalised with a freekick on the edge of the Lambs box, earning the Tamworth striker a yellow card.
Parker struck the dead ball over the wall and saw it bounce behind off the framework of Atkins goal before Rodman and Perry hit shots into defenders from the edge of the box as the first half drew to a close.
Three minutes added time were shown and with it Parker rounded the advancing Atkins only to go too wide and allow Marshall to clear his centred ball away from the goalmouth.


HT: Mansfield Town 0    1 Tamworth

Tamworth got the second half underway but the home side quickly won a freekick on the half way line and forced a corner from the ensuing play which Mills put onto the head of Foster, but his direction was poor and a goalkick was conceded.
Mansfield came at the game with the bit between their teeth and Wylde did well to put the ball behind from a corner on 55 and then Perry and Wylde both put their bodies in the way of two snap shots 8 yards out in quick succession.
Another home corner from the move which Perry headed clear and a foul on Rodman allowed Tamworth to get a little respite.
Rodman and Tait combined for the latter to drive a dangerous ball into the box on 57 and win a corner from the clearance but nothing came from the flag kick.
Another corner was conceded by The Lambs on 61 which Perry headed clear again and he was involved in a move which saw Sheridan blast a driven shot over the bar from 25 yards on 63.
Rodman made space for himself on 68 but was wayward with his effort from the right while sub Medley hit a low shot directly at Atkins on 70 which barely troubled the Lambs keeper.
Thomas struck a shot into the arms of Marriott when Tamworth broke down the left in the next move and a final ball into the area from the home side was too strong for a sensible shot on 72.
A deflection from an attempted clearance fell kindly for Atkins on 75 and Sandwith put Thomas's cross looking for Rodman behind for a flag kick on 76 as play continued to switch from end to end.
Barrow put the ball behind as The Stags pushed on 77 but it was a poor flag kick however Medley cannoned the ball off Rodman for another corner and eventually Nix's attempted cross deflected back to Atkins.
Perry flicked on for Sheridan to run on to on 79 and although he did get a shot away his reaction to the sliced effort described perfectly how off target it was.
A push on Perry on the left wing saw Tait float the ball onto the former's head but his unmarked and delicate flick drifted a few feet wide of the mark, as did his right footed shot from the angle a minute later.
Sheridan was forced to conceded another corner on 85 but nothing came from it as a foul was spotted when the ball came in.
Jay Smith hobbled away from a challenge as the final whistle came into view but was OK to continue until a head injury to Connor halted play, but he too was alright to play on.
Barrow cleared a Chris Smith nod down with a hefty boot as play continued past 90 minutes without the fourth officials board being shown.
last ditch defending prevented a Chris Smith header from crossing the line in the final seconds of added time and referee sent everyone home a few seconds later deliriously happy or bitterly disappointed, depending on your point of view..

Tamworth Team:

Atkins, Tait, Marshall, Wylde, Smith J (capt) , Perry, Rodman, Thomas, Bradley (Sheridan 9), Barrow, Wilkinson
Subs: Mitchell, MacKenzie, Lake-Gaskin, Lyttle

Mansfield Town Team:

Marriott, Silk, Sandwith, Mills, Foster, Smith C, Briscoe (Nix 67), Thompson (Medley 67), Smith A, Parker (Duffy 81), Connor
Subs: Collett, Naylor

Attendance: 2516

Referee: Mr. S. Duncan

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures