Search results to follow...

Bradley nets to ensure a point a piece

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Cambridge United

24 August 2010

After defeat at Wimbledon at the weekend, Gary Mills' side returned to The Lamb to face Martin Ling's United side who were yet to record a victory in three outings.
Scott Barrow returned to the side after injury as Mills was able to select the same side as the first two fixtures of the season which brought four points out of six.

Tamworth kicked off the game towards the Meadow Street end and play was quick from the first whistle.
A long Tait freekick was only half cleared inside the second minute and Thomas' return ball looking for Perry was headed away from danger by the visiting defence.
Lambs pressure culminated in the fifth minute with a MacKenzie shot from 25 yards which deflected just over the bar for a right sided corner which Smith planted onto Wylde's head and his flick on fell nicely for Perry but his header back across goal nestled in the top of the netting rather than below the bar.
Roberts was penalised for a foul on Smith on the halfway line on 7 but escaped a booking and from the freekick Perry directed his header into the arms of Brown.
The Lambs defence cleared some United pressure and then their captain Carden was booked for a similar foul to that which Roberts escaped. From the free kick the ball bounced dangerously in the area but no one could get the decisive touch.
Tait forged a path into the right of the area and put a low ball into the box which was put behind for a corner which came to nothing.
Wylde, bandaged from his head injury on Saturday, required on the field treatment for a knock to his back on 19 and after a minute or so of attention from the physio he returned to the field.
In the meantime Barrow snuck in at the back of the box but couldn't get power on his first time shot and Brown collected.
Barrow won a left corner on 23 after good play from Smith to release him down the wing but the latter over hit his dead ball and Cambridge restarted with a throw on the far side.
A corner for the visitors was just missed by the head of Saah on 27 and the return ball in from the right span through the box unhindered.
A long throw from the right almost gave Thomas an opening goal, but Cambridge broke quickly and Wright forced Atkins to stop with his feet to deny the visitors a mark on the score sheet. From the resultant corner Platt chipped into the area but the ball went straight out for a goal kick.
Wright became the second United player to be booked after he took Wylde's legs from under him on the halfway line on 33 but from the freekick, when Perry appeared to be being climbed all over the box, a freekick was given against The Lambs player much to the vocal displeasure of The Shed.
On 36 Rodman crossed from the right wing onto the head of Bradley and had it not been for Brown's point blank save The Lambs would surely have taken the lead. As it was Smith's corner was scrambled behind for a flag kick on the other side of the pitch which Perry flicked behind for a goal kick.
A foul by Platt on the left wing on Smith set up the Lambs captain to launch the ball into the box but Brown collected at height.
Cambridge got a rare sight at goal on 41 courtesy of a freekick which was nodded behind for a corner on the left and the ball was stopped on the line by Atkins after a bit of a scramble although the referee saw as a foul during the melee and Atkins restarted play with a freekick.
A delightful long pass to Thomas from Smith was fed to Barrow on 44 and a corner won from the attempted cross. Twice Smith put a teasing cross into the box, but twice it was cleared and the final ball in from MacKenzie was taken by Brown easily.
Two minutes stoppage time was indicated as Wright drove a low shot at Atkins and despite pressure at the end of the half the whistle blew on a goalless first forty five minutes.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Cambridge United

Cambridge got the second half underway and when Willmott tried to get around Wylde in the box the United player was penalised for a push on the Lambs defender.
A cross was whipped into the box from the right shortly after and Atkins had to collect at the second attempt to deny Wright what would have been a close range tap in.
Good attacking play from The Lambs saw Thomas receive the ball from a header back out of the area by Perry on 49 but the former's half volley spun over the bar.
Miller got onto the end of a left wing ball into the area on 51 but he couldn't keep his header under control and it went well wide and high of the mark.
Partridge became booking number three for the visitors for a rash challenge on Rodman inside the Cambridge half on 52 and although Wylde nodded the ball into the net the offside flag had already ruled out the ‘goal'.
The visitors took the lead on 54 when Wright headed in from a central position after carden pushed the ball low through the Lambs defence and Russell chipped into the area for Wright to nod home. (0-1, 54 mins)
Tamworth went on the offensive and won a corner on 57 which was flicked on for Wylde but his header looped into the outstretched arms of Brown.
Perry nodded down for Rodman to try his luck from 30 yards on 58 but his shot curled wide of the mark.
Another Lambs corner came on 61 but a push in the area put paid to the attempted flick on at the near post and as the Lambs tried to push forward a defensive boot pushed the ball away from danger.
Tait forced United to concede another corner on 65 but the near post flick didn't come off and Brown gathered the loose ball.
A foul against Thomas on 68 saw two United players left prostrate on the floor ‘in his wake' as both Willmott and Miller were left needing treatment while Thomas looked none the worse for his clash.
Play restarted with just nine against eleven for the freekick but the advantage was obviously shortlived as both returned to the action when play restarted.
Barrow's left wing cross was headed away by Saah on 71 and Rodman was unable to fully control a ball to his feet in the area in the next move.
Perry found himself under the weight of a climb on the back from Saah on 76 which allowed Barrow to strike left footed for goal but his effort curled high over the bar.
Willmott became United booking number four for a foul on Tait on 77 and the Lambs made their first change of the game changing the formation to 4-4-2 with Rodman alongside Perry up front.
Tait then picked up a booking for a two footed challenge on Clare and Miller fell under a challenge from the same Lambs defender, in the area, from the freekick but the ref was not impressed and waved play on.
Sheridan whipped in a right footed ball from the right side of the box on 81 but it was hooked away by Saah and a Lambs goal finally came on 82 when Perry flicked on for Bradley who made no mistake with a low drive into the goal under pressure from two defenders. (1-1, 82 mins)
Smith received a yellow card on 85 but Carden could only find the head of Wylde with the resultant freekick.
Tamworth won a corner on 89 which was headed away for a throw on the far side but nothing came from Wylde's ball into the area and four minutes added time was shown.
The Lambs went in search of a late winner but as Cambridge countered Wylde had his name taken for a late challenge although Miller's freekick was well taken by Atkins as the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Atkins, Tait, Marshall, Wylde, Smith (capt) ((Oakes 87), MacKenzie (Sheridan 77), Perry, Rodman, Thomas, Bradley, Barrow
Subs: Mitchell, Lyttle, Farrell

Cambridge United Team:

Brown, Roberts, Coulson, Saah, Partridge, Russell, Miller, Wright (Marriott 88), Willmott, Platt (Clare 64), Carden
Subs: Naisbitt, Ives, Coakley

Attendance: 863

Man of the Match: Chosen by match sponsors Snowdome: Alex Rodman

Referee: Mr. D. Handley

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures