Search results to follow...

Lambs unable to bring anything back from Kingsmeadow

FT: AFC Wimbledon 3    0 Tamworth

21 August 2010

With Scott Barrow still recuperating from his knock on Tuesday at Newport, Gary Mills made his first change of the new season bringing Aaron Mitchell into the defence and Seb Lake-Gaskin took his first place in the matchday squad of 2010-11 on the bench.

Terry Brown's AFC Wimbledon side entered the match with a 100% record which they would be keen to extend against The Lambs who would also be looking to make it three without defeat at Kingsmeadow.

The travelling Lambs fans found themselves encamped in one corner of the ground and the team started the game kicking ‘towards' them with the other three quarters massively populated by blue shirts.

Wimbledon got the game underway and a back pass was immediately handled in the area by Brown giving Tamworth a freekick on the edge of the six yard box. Marshall and MacKenzie stood over the dead ball but it was deflected over the bar for a corner on the right and half cleared to MacKenzie who got his head down and blasted a rising shot over the bar giving the home side respite after what could have been a disastrous start.
A tackle by Smith in the centre circle left Luke Moore struggling on the floor and it required early run out for the physio. He was soon back on the pitch but the freekick was wasted by Yakubu.
The Lambs throw quickly turned into Wombles attack and Gregory brought a bread and butter stop from Atkins from distance on 6.
Tamworth then won a freekick of their own which MacKenzie popped into the wall and the home side broke with Hatton crossing long from the right wing onto the head of Sammy Moore but his attempt was off target by some distance.
Marshall cut out a searching right wing cross from Luke Moore on 9 for a corner which came to nothing.
A fine run and curling shot from Barley on 10 curled past the reach of Brown in the home goal but also past the far upright and Tait's freekick from inside the centre circle on 11 skipped through a crowded box and sneaked out past the left hand upright as Tamworth did their best to keep the pressure on the home side.
Rodman made a jinking run and played a neat one two on the edge of the area on 14 but his final square ball was cut out and cleared before Gregory and Luke Moore combined to force a corner which Wylde headed over the bar for another. From the second Sam Moore headed in midflight and the ball struck a Lambs defender before ricocheting out of play with the referee having none of the handball shouts from the home faithful.
Sam Moore then sliced a shot at goal from 20 yards high and wider than planned and intelligent play from Rodman on the right was halted when his final ball down the wing was just too strong for the run of Tait on 18.
Atkins was quick to deny Blackman a chance from a rebounded clearance on 20 while Marshall had to be quick to Wimbledon space on the right after more play from Rodman at the other end had been cut out.
Hattom tripped Thomas on the halfway line for a freekick on 23 which Marshall placed onto the chest of Wylde and MacKenzie drove a low shot wide of the mark from the knock down as the balance of the game continued to be very hard to call.
Hatton then supplied a teasing cross for Main on 26 to flick just wide of the far post with a deft header.
Despite the drizzle a brief respite in play for Perry to get treatment allowed a drinks break shortly afterwards.
Another right wing cross this time from Kedwell was diverted wide of the far post by Sam Moore on the half hour.
On 34 Bradley's through ball for Thomas was cut out by Hatton as Tamworth enjoyed a spell of possession until a long ball was easily taken by Brown.
Thomas sent a deep left wing cross into the area on 37 which was nodded away from Perry at the far post and Wimbledon broke but a long range effort was well wide of the mark.
However, on 38 Kewell set up Sam Moore to fire an angled drive into the corner and open the scoring (0-1, 38 mins)
The home side went in search of a quick second goal winning a corner on 40 which Kedwell headed wide and try as they might The Lambs foray's into their opposition final third seemed to hit brick walls, which is exactly what Wylde encountered when going for a header on 42, needing a stitches to his split eyebrow leaving his side a man short until half time.
Two minutes added time were shown at the end of the half which saw Brown almost leave his area with the ball from Marshall's high pass into the area in the last action of the half.

HT: AFC Wimbledon 1    0 Tamworth

Wylde emerged from the dressing room at the start of the second half suitably bandaged up and The Lambs got the game underway again.
Early pressure came to nothing for Tamworth and when Tait missed his defensive header on 48 it allowed Main a shot on goal which he struck high over the bar from the edge of the area.
Blackman then made in roads into the penalty area and flashed a shot across the face of goal as Lake-Gaskin warmed up on the touch line.
Tait threw himself at Kedwell's shot from 20 yards a minute or two later before MacKenzie made way for Lake-Gaskin.
Lake-Gaskin fed Perry down the left on 56 who in turn chipped into the path of Rodman, but under pressure, he could do no more than win a corner which Smith took and saw hoofed clear. Marshall won the ball back and aimed for Perry at the far post with his cross but the Lambs forward couldn't quite get full contact onto the ball with his head.
A similar cross from Tait in the next move found Perry again but he directed his leaping header high and wide from 18 yards before Wimbledon moved forward and Sam Moore hit a hopeful effort over the smaller of the two goal end stands.
Luke Moore saw his placed shot blocked on the hour and then the home side doubled their lead. Welland skipped past a number of challenges out of his own half, fed Main who saw his shot saved but finished at the far post by Kedwell (0-2, 60 mins)
Tamworth won a corner on 62 which was headed away but The Lambs kept the ball in the final third and as the ball pinged around the area Marshall forced a half save from Brown with a right footed stab before a long clearance was diving headed behind by Mitchell and the subsequent corner wasted by the home side.
Gary Mills made a double change on 64 with Farrell and Oakes replacing Perry and Bradley and Farrell almost set up Rodman with a low pass to feet but his chance was blocked and Thomas won a corner with a deflected left wing cross on 67.
Oakes caught Sam Moore going for a header midway inside The Lambs half on 70 and earned himself a booking and Hatton tried his luck with a driven shot which rose over the bar.
A left wing cross from Jolley was taken by Atkins on 75 and Marshall was penalised for a block on the same player a minute later setting up Hatton from distance again. This time he struck it low and the best efforts of Kedwell to get a cross from the byline were hampered by Atkins.
A foul by Mitchell on Kedwell on 25 yards from goal set up Hatton once again who chipped gently over the wall and Kedwell spun and volleyed into the far corner - a great goal by anyone's standards (0-3, 79 mins)
Jolley then looked like he had made it four with a right footed placed curling shot from the left hand side of the area but his shot whistled past the far post.
Tait backheeled Luke Moore's shot in mid air to clear the danger on 85 and on 89 Kedwell fed Luke Moore whose shot was blocked and went out for a corner despite the best efforts of Atkins.
The flagkick was cleared but the pressure remained, ending in Yussuff's low shot straight at Atkins as four minutes added time was shown.
Don's movement in the Lambs box was pushed away but only as far as Hatton who made Atkins drop to stop his low effort.
On 93 Luke Moore found Yussuff whose shot come cross was blocked and from the corner Smith blocked but Blackman's deep ball in from the left forced Marshall to concede another flag kick on the opposite side which Gregory headed past the far post shortly before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:

Atkins, Tait, Marshall, Wylde, Mitchell, Smith (capt), MacKenzie (Lake-Gaskin 51), Perry (Farrell 64), Rodman, Thomas, Bradley (Oakes 64)
Subs: Sheridan, Lyttle

AFC Wimbledon Team:

Brown, Hatton, Blackman, Gregory, Yakubu, Johnson, S. Moore (Yussuff 74), Wellard (Jackson 82), Kedwell (capt), Main (Jolley 70), L. Moore
Subs: Turner, Harris

Attendance: 3144

Man of the Match: Chosen by the Supporters Coach: TBA

Referee: K Johnson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures