Search results to follow...

Histon net the win

FT: Histon 1    0 Tamworth

09 March 2010

Tamworth made the journey down the A14 to the Glass World Stadium, Histon for the first ever time on Tuesday night to face their second ‘Stutes' of the season (no prizes for knowing the first!).
On Sunday the league table showed The Lambs two points clear of Histon, but the following the expulsion of Chester City's record Gary Mills side found themselves two places and four points behind their hosts going into the league tie.
Mills made one change to the side that suffered defeat to Rushden and Diamonds on Saturday with Jake Sheridan coming in for Neil MacKenzie meanwhile, Alan Lewer kept true to his word by fielding 5 or 6 non first team regulars after contract negotiations hit a much publicised sticking point.

Histon kicked off proceedings and Alcock got the second touch of the game when a header went straight to him from the left wing.
Christie tried a very long ball from the final third of his own half on 2 but it was too quick for Sheridan and the latter's threaded pass in the next move was too strong for Lake-Gaskin to reach before the covering defenders.
Histon won a freekick on the half way line on 4 which Shaw cleared and Christie was pulled back on the opposite side of the pitch allowing Shaw to find Smith, but his header was cleared on 5.
Good interplay between Sheridan and Pritchard won Tamworth the first corner of the game on 6 on the right which was headed out for another which Christie headed into the hands of Knight.
Histon then enjoyed a spell of possession down the right wing and a long throw from Lee Smith was headed behind for a corner by Wylde - the flag kick whipped through the box and out at the far corner unhindered.
The home side took the lead on 11 when a left wing cross from Sparkes crossed from the left wing and when the Lambs defence failed to deal with it and Alcock was unable to get his hands to the ball, Lee Smith fired home from close range  near the far post (0-1, 11 mins)
Tamworth were finding it hard to deal with the raw nature of the Histon side who were showing no fear in going forward with the home bench urging them to take their time.
Rodman was then denied a shooting / crossing chance on the right by a good tackle mid flow and Histon broke to win a corner on the right with went over a crowded area untouched.
Lee Smith curled a freekick which Knight-Percival glanced over the bar with a deft header on 20 and Histon kept the ball in the Lambs half from the goal kick and when Tamworth tried to break forward they found their opponents in no mood to let them through easily.
A fortunate deflection allowed Rodman a sight of goal from distance on the right wing on 25 but he chose to shoot rather than build on the loose ball and failed to trouble Knight with a very tame effort as Briscoe warmed up and came on for Blackwood moving Wylde to the left of defence.
Tamworth pushed forward and it took two defenders to block Rodman's effort and on 31 Christie beat the offside trap to feed Lake-Gaskin on the left who got a shot on goal and forced Knight to make a save before the defence cleared as Pritchard rushed in for the rebound.
Sheringham then set up Southam with a shot at goal which he managed from the right of the box but a deflection took it past the far post for a corner on the left which allowed The Lambs to break. The move ended though with Lake-Gaskin floating a cross come shot from a central position in the keepers arms.
Lake-Gaskin's cross was headed way on 36 and Christie was called offside on 37 as he looked to go one on one with Knight from a run from inside the centre circle.
A foul on Christie 35 yards out gave Shaw a central sight at goal but when the ball was headed back from the freekick towards Christie his shot was wayward.
Sheringham found the ball booted away from him as he tried to turn in the box with the ball at his feet on 43 while at the other end a Lambs move ended with Sheridan slicing a rising shot wide of the near post from 20 yards out.
With a wet breeze blowing in the Tamworth players Histon won a freekick on the right of midfield on half time which Alcock collected as two minutes added time was shown and a cross from the left by Sparkes landed on Alcock's netting shortly before Wylde saw a far post header cleared and the whistle blew.

HT: Histon 1    0 Tamworth

Tamworth started the second half underway but not before Murdock came to the field for Shaw and an early cross forced Knight to save on his line with Christie closing down.
Murdock won a corner when the defender put the ball behind off his toes and Rodman's flick on fell to Christie but he lost out to a hefty challenge as he tried to turn and shoot.
Briscoe's freekick from inside his own half was flicked on by Rodman and Christie fired a volley onto the roof of the net from 15 yards on 50 but the flag was already up and unfortunately, it would have counted for nothing.
On 54, a through ball by Pritchard set Murdock clear with only Knight to beat, but as he rounded the keeper Okay got back just in time to deflect the goalbound shot over the bar for a corner which Histon cleared.
Christie saw his shot blocked on the edge of the area on 56 while Sheringham forced his way through to get a tame shot at Alcock in the next move.
Sheridan and Knight-Percival tangled in the right channel which won the home side a freekick 25 yards out on the hour but there was no power in the shot from Gwillim and Alcock saved easily.
A foul by Tait on Sparkes then set up Gwillim with a dead ball chance on the left of the area by the by-line and Briscoe headed clear.
Tamworth broke on 63 through Sheridan and Christie who slid the ball to Rodman to shoot right footed from the right of the area who in turn found Knight in fine form to save his powerful effort and put it over the bar for a corner which the keeper then took at height.
Lake-Gaskin squandered a golden chance to level the tie on 67 with a screwed shot well wide of the target from 12 yards on the right of the area earning the home side a freekick.
Briscoe blocked Sheringham's effort on 69 and Southam blazed a freeshot over the bar after Sparkes had put the ball back into the danger area from a right wing cross in the next move.
Murdock did well to beat his marker to get the ball into the box on 70 but then lost out to the same player and the chance was gone.
Positive forward play looked like it had won the Lambs a corner on 72 but the linesman indicated a goal kick from a good move down the right and Tamworth were forced to try and build again.
Rodman saw a shot charged down 18 yards out and a corner was won which Wylde headed over the bar on 76 as Jay Smith got ready to come on.
Christie lifted a header high over the bar on 78 and when the ball came forward Briscoe hit the deck after a clash inside his own half and was forced to change his shirt due to ‘spillage' from his split lip.
Sheringham was booked for a challenge on Tait on 80 and Knight took the ball out of danger from the resultant freekick. Another foul earned Tann a booking on 81 this time on Christie on the half way line, who eventually managed a shot at goal after first chesting the ball down on 82 but it was not strong enough to trouble Knight.
Inside the final five minutes, and Tamworth were looking on top, but niggly fouls and freekicks were disrupting play as a head injury to Gwillim which drew a fair amount o9f claret angered both benches for different reasons. Once a suitable amount of Terry Butcher style bandaging had been applied Gwillim returned to the field and Histon pushed on trying to keep the ball in the corner.
Five minutes added time was shown and Tidswell became the third Histon player in the book for time wasting as the minutes ticked down.
the ball rattled around the area and yellow cards were shown to Chris Smith and Bygrave when a mass of players tried to get the ball out but the whistle quickly blew on full time.

Tamworth Team:

Alcock, Tait, Blackwood (Briscoe 27), Smith C, Wylde, Rodman, Pritchard (Smith J 77), Sheridan, Shaw (Murdock HT), Lake-Gaskin, Christie
Subs: MacKenzie, Lyttle

Histon Team:

Knight, Tann, Gwillim, Bygrave, Sheringham, Southam, Tidswell, Sparke, Knight-Percival, Smith L, Okay
Subs: Key, Stewart, York, Stevenson, Taffe

Attendance: 0

Referee: J. G. Adcock (Notts)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures