Search results to follow...

Lambs back to winning ways

FT: Tamworth 1    0 Gateshead

02 March 2010

Tamworth welcomed Gateshead to The Lamb for their league fixture and Lambs boss Gary Mills made three changes to the side that fell to Kettering a week ago.
Jake Sheridan sat out after taking a knock in training at the weekend, while Michael Briscoe took a place on the bench and Jay Smith didn't feature as Iyseden Christie, Seb Lake-Gaskin and Neil MacKenzie returned to the starting eleven.
With the Chester enforced points deduction looming Tamworth effectively found themselves going into the game 2 rather than 8 points ahead of Gateshead who sat in 21st position in the league.

Gateshead got the game underway kicking towards the Meadow Street end and won a corner on the left inside the first minute when Smith put the ball behind with a wayward clearance. The flag kick came to nothing and a foul near the half way line gave The Lambs a freekick.
Lake-Gaskin put a good ball from the right into the area on 3 but a defensive header cleared the danger and as Gateshead broke Smith headed a deflected cross from Winn behind for another left sided corner.
A long ball to the far post was flicked behind for another corner off Smith's head. Pritchard got a knock on the head from the dead ball and play was halted as he received treatment on the field.
Gateshead forced their way into the box on 7 but Blackwood held strong to clear and Tait beat Winn to a header from a right wing cross a minute later.
Alcock dropped the ball as Clare came in to shoot and a corner was won courtesy of a deflection at the near post and the flag kick was headed behind for another corner on the left again, which was worked out and back in again for another on the right.
Christie burst down the right but was beaten by a defensive challenge and Tamworth won a corner as Pritchard tried to chase the ball down on 11. Wylde hit the bar with a header from the dead ball as Farman stretched to reach the looping effort.
Blackwood's left wing cross was just to high for Lake-Gaskin to head on 14 and Rodman twisted and turned in the box on 15 but was unable to get a shot on goal.
MacKenzie beat his man to get a left footed shot on goal away on 17 but a diving header from Jones put the ball away from danger.
Wake got a shot on goal from the left of the box on 21 which Wylde blocked and conceded a corner in the process but it came to nothing.
Yet another corner was won by the visitors on 23 but the final shot was off target unlike Pritchard's effort on 26 which took a deflection en route to goal and Farman collected easily.
The Lambs won a right sided flag kick on 29 which Shaw fired onto the head of the Gateshead defence but then set Rodman on a run into the area only to see his low ball on the turn into the six yard box cut out. And with Rodman and Lake-Gaskin having now swapped sides, Rodman took a pot shot at goal from the right in the next move which found it's way through to Farman.
Blalckwood beat his man to put the ball into the box and Pritchard tried a volley with his back to goal which deflected off Jones for another corner but Gateshead won possession.
Rodman made a surging run into the left of the penalty area on 34 and played the ball back for one of the three awaiting Lambs but a boot cut out the chance and with the next move he put the ball into the path of Christie but the Gateshead defence were quick and strong enough to deny him a shot.
Another good ball from Rodman, now back on the left, was headed way by the visitors defence and a one two with Christie didn't quite come off as he was beaten by the linesman's flag.
After a debated freekick in the middle of the park, Gateshead's Jones went for a header in the box but took a tumble and needed treatment  in the goal mouth.
As the minutes ticked down to the interval Tamworth put the ball into the danger area but found their way blocked with Lake-Gaskin, Christie, Pritchard and Rodman all enjoying differing degrees of success but none of them troubling Farman in the goalmouth.
Two minutes added time were shown as Rodman won a corner on the left and Smith headed the ball just over the corner of bar and post from the back of the box.
Blackwood put a super ball onto the head of Christie but the Lambs striker was unable to direct it goalward and the half time whistle blew with the partisan crowd hoping for a continuation of the pressure in the second half.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Gateshead

Tamworth got the second half underway and Tait crossed from the right for Christie but he was unable to get a clean header at goal and Gateshead cleared long via a freekick for a goal kick to The Lambs.
Another Gateshead freekick by the dugouts and when the ball came back to Turnbull he tried his luck from some distance, firing wide in the process.
After a few minutes of stalemate in the middle of the park, Rodman found the ball at his feet and curled a shot at goal on 55 only to see Farman well placed and a minute later Christie won a corner on the left which Rodman flicked on for Christie to head on again and despite the best efforts of the Gateshead defence to clear it off the line, the linesman's flag confirmed his strike (1-0, 56 mins).
Another corner was forthcoming in the next move but Gateshead cleared with shouts of handball being waved away by the referee.
Gateshead made their first change on the hour and a slip in the middle of the park let Lake-Gaskin in and he tried a pass to Rodman which proved to be the wrong choice as the ball skipped out of play.
On 65, Pritchard chipped a pass through looking for Christie but he was beaten to it by a quicker defender.
After a great deal of possession by Tamworth, Rodman was felled outside the area, slightly left of centre on 70 earning Curtis a booking in the process. Pritchard wasted the freekick with a shot high over the bar and Gateshead made their second change of the evening.
The Lambs won another flagkick on the left on 72 which Shaw put in the area but Gateshead cleared, and on 73 Christie hit a shot from 30 yards but missed the target.
Christie jinked on the left of the area on 75 and left his defender standing but failed to test Farman sufficiently with his right footed effort, and at the other end Francis was able to get his boot around the ball but rolled his shot well wide with Alcock untroubled.
A long throw in to the area almost found Rodman on 78 and great movement set up Shaw to hit a shot from 18 yards but it bobbled as he hit it and rose just over the bar.
Rodman struck a great shot at goal on 80 which Farman parried out as far as Lake-Gaskin and he forced the ball onto the post before Farman reacted and stopped it crossing the line by a few inches.
From good running down the right wing by Lake-Gaskin and MacKenzie, Rodman received the ball on the left of the area on 84 but was unable to get his shot away and when Pritchard picked up the loose he was crowded out.
Pritchard then found himself at the back clearing the Lambs lines before Smith had to head behind for a Gateshead corner which Alcock collected at height.
Smith picked up a yellow card for a challenge just inside the Lambs half on 87 and from the freekick Gateshead won another corner which was eventually cleared and Rodman stuck a forceful effort from the right wing forcing Farman to parry.
Christie was applauded from the field on 89 being replaced by Murdock up front for the final minutes as three minutes stoppage time was shown.
Wylde was forced to flick the ball out for a corner which saw all but Heckinbottom behind the ball and when Tamworth got possession the Gateshead defender got a boot in the way to stop the three on one move on the half way line.
As Rodman slowed his run past the halfway line, as was brought down by an impatient Winn but the freekick was Murdock offside and the final whistle blew on a well earned three points for Tamworth.

Tamworth Team:

Alcock, Tait, Blackwood, Smith C, Wylde, MacKenzie, Rodman, Pritchard, Shaw, Lake-Gaskin, Christie (Murdock 89)
Subs: MacKenzie, Fankem, Lyttle, Briscoe

Gateshead Team:

Farman, Baxter (Francis 70), Curtis, Jones, Turnbull, Parkinson (Philips 60), Wake (Armstrong 79), Clare, Winn, Heckinbottom, Ferrell
Subs: Provett, Swales

Attendance: 483

Man of the Match: Chosen by Pickerings Solicitors: Rodman

Referee: P. Bankes

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures