Search results to follow...

Wolves go through to next round

FT: Tamworth 1    2 Wolverhampton Wanderers

27 October 2009

Gary Mills fielded a strong side for the visit of Wolves to the Lamb for the sides 1st round Birmingham Senior Cup tie, with a trip to Tipton Town awaiting the winners. Gohkan Ulker, a Northampton based player who had been playing in Turkey, featured in the starting eleven while two Academy players, Lamar Salman and Dell Harrison, took places on the bench.
Wanderers also fielded a number of first team squad members in the tie.

Tamworth lined up with Mills at right back, Tait at left back and Blackwood up front but it was MacKenzie who had the first chance after a minute but his shot from outside the area went straight into the arms of East in the visitors goal.
Wolves took the lead on five after a good ball by Rooney split the Lambs defence and Mendel-Laing followed up his initial shot, which had been blocked by Alcock, and Mills sliding in couldn't prevent it crossing the line (0-1, 5 mins).
Some very good play down the right between Mills, Lake-Gaskin, MacKenzie and Russell ended on 12 with a shot from Tait which East collected, but it brought a round of applause from the home faithful.
Pritchard unleashed a powerful drive from 25 yards on 14 which cleared the bar by only a foot or two after more good play from Lake-Gaskin.
Mendel-Laing sent Spray on a run down the right wing on 25 and from his cross Hemmings put his header wide of the mark when he perhaps could have done better from a central position.
At the other end, a Pritchard overhead flick was met by the right foot of MacKenzie, but his shot curled harmlessly wide of the far post.
Blackwood and Lake-Gaskin combined to set up Russell with an overhead chance on the half hour and he got a good aim on his kick but East collected. Russell then hit a long range shot in the next move which whistled past the right hand post.
Ulker got a glancing header on Russel's far post ball from the right wing on 34 but couldn't get power or direction on the effort, under pressure from a Wolves defender.
Pritchard almost connected with a long ball into the box  from Mills as the first 45 minutes ticked round but the half ended with Wolves  one goal to the good.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Tamworth kicked off the second half towards the Meadow Street end and had some good early pressure, penning the visitors into their own half for a good five minutes without the ball venturing back over the half way line and on 51 Ulker saw his close range shot blocked by East.
Wolves broke and Spray hit a right footed shot from the right of the area whistle past the post, and then on 54 play switched to the other end as Pritchard struck the left hand upright with a shot from the opposite side of the area after Lake-Gaskin nodded down a right wing cross.
Ulker was denied a penalty shout on 55 but Wolves broke again with Mendel-Laing flashed a low ball across the face of goal.
Bennett found some space to smash a right footed shot over the bar from 18 yards shortly after the visitors made their first change of the evening.
On the hour Wylde picked up a yellow for bringing down Hemmings as he advanced towards the box, and although both players ended up inside the penalty area the initial challenge occurred outside, and Bennett slapped his weak effort into the wall allowing Tamworth to clear.
Briscoe replaced Ulker on 63 and took up a centre forward position.
Spray put a header wide of the mark after a nice piece of skill from Bennett on the left of the area and Wolves made their second sub on 71.
A good finish from Hemmings on 73 doubled Wolverhampton's lead, holding off the challenge of Gaughran after a slip by Wylde in the centre of the park allowed him to burst into the box and slot home. (0-2, 73 mins)
Lake-Gaskin tried to curl a shot into the far corner from the right wing and missed the far post by a few feet on 76 and a minute later, Lyttle replaced Blackwood, pushing the gaffer into midfield for the remainder of the game.
Rooney struck a shot from distance over the bar on 82 as Wolves made their final change of the evening and MacKenzie forced a corner on the right with 6 remaining and Wylde headed home from close range to reduce the arrears and set up a tense last few minutes (1-2, 86 mins).
But there was no chance of an equaliser and Wolves went through to an away tie at Tipton Town in Round 2.

Tamworth Team:

Alcock, Tait, Blackwood (Lyttle 77), Wylde, Pritchard, Mills, Lake-Gaskin, Ulker (Briscoe 63), Briscoe, Russell, Gaughran
Subs: Belford, Salmon, Harrison

Wolverhampton Wanderers Team:

East, Metcalf, Price, Malone (capt), Parsonage, Rooney, Mendel-Laing (McAlindon 71), Bennett (Ismail 82), Hemmings, Spray, Szabo (Harris 58)
Subs (four only): Landell

Attendance: 292

Man of the Match: Seb Lake-Gaskin

Referee: Mr. M. Perry

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures