Search results to follow...

Lambs slay Dragons

FT: Tamworth 2    1 Wrexham

25 August 2009

Gary Mills made no changes to his selected sixteen to face Dean Saunders’ Dragons and with a bumper crowd eager to get into The Lamb supporters of both sides were having to be patient prior to kick off.
With both sides having recorded 6 points from their opening games (but with Tamworth having a game in hand) 3 points were definitely the order of the day as The Lambs looked to stay unbeaten going into the Bank Holiday weekend.
Tamworth kicked off the opening 45 minutes towards the Castle End and the pace of the game was immediately evident.
The away end, packed with Wrexham fans also started the game with gusto, banging a drum to get the travelling faithful going.
With five minutes gone there was little to choose between the two sides, Tamworth looking for a pass all the time and Wrexham playing near and tricky football that didn’t always come off.
On 7 Sheridan looked for a curling shot on his left foot after turning the defender on the edge of the box but hit it high and wide. At the other end Cieslewicz sprinted through beating the off side trap on the right only to hit his shot wide of the far post from an ever decreasing angle.
On 11 Wright made a superb run down the left and crossed looking for Rodman, who flicked the ball goalward but a slight deflection took it wide of the mark only for Pritchard to collect outside the area. He beat Assoumani and surged into the area only to tumble under a tackle from the same player with no hint of a penalty being given by the referee.
Assoumani then put a two footed challenge on Rodman in the middle of the park for a Lambs freekick on 13 but the offside flag halted play from the dead ball.
Rodman hit a deflected shot off Jones out for a corner on the right on 15 and although Cieslewicz and Jones broke when the defensive header went long the Lambs defence were unphased as the ball came towards them and cleared the danger.
A whipped in cross from Cieslewicz came off Shaw and out for a corner with loud shouts for handball coming from the away end. Alcock pushed the ball away from danger from the flag kick which came to nothing.
Sheridan won a Lambs corner on the left by the clubhouse on 20 which Maxwell punched clear but only as far as MacKenzie who hit it first time on the volley, but also high out of play.
On 26 minutes though it was Wrexham who took the lead. A fine pass from Jones through to Taylor who ran through unmarked on the edge of the area allowed him to slot the ball through the Alcocks legs to the delight of the crowd in front of him. (0-1, 26 mins)
Tamworth responded by winning a corner but a push as Wright went for the header denied him a chance of a quick equaliser.
A surging run by Cieslewicz from inside his own half on 30 saw him beat two Lambs men en-route to the box and it took a well timed tackle by Briscoe to tip the ball off his feet as he shaped to shoot.
Sheridan was felled by Obeng and the Wrexham player became the first to go in the book on 32.
Rodman made an opening on 37 and shot directly at the keeper from the right to win a corner. From the flag kick, Smith rose highest at the far post and headed firmly home to equalise for The Lambs and lift the roof on the other three sides of the ground (ignoring the obvious!) (1-1, 37 mins)
Another powerful run from Rodman through the Wrexham defence was let down only by his final which saw the ball go just too far for him, but nicely for Maxwell who slid out to smother the ball as he continued his run into the area on 42.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the half which ended without further incident.

HT: Tamworth 1    1 Wrexham

Wrexham got proceedings underway in the second half but the ball immediately found it’s way back to Alcock and after a brief foray around the half way line The Lambs won a corner on the left which they took short and Taylor beat Smith to the ball at the far post for another flag kick from the opposite side.
Spann fouled Sheridan on the left of the area for a Lambs freekick on 49 and although MacKenzie’s ball was headed clear, Tamworth pushed on and continued to push forward.
Wright beat his man and made a run down the left on 52 finding Rodman with his curling right footed cross, but the latter was unable to direct the ball goalward.
A freekick following a foul on Cieslewicz was cleared by a series of headers and as Tamworth moved the ball to the right corner Rodman was brought down by Williams who received a booking but the freekick was cleared and then taken by Maxwell when it was played back in, off the head of a Wrexham defender.
Cieslewicz was felled for a visitors freekick as the first substitution of the game was made and the freekick from Spann was well struck but went wide and high of the target.
A good spell of passing football from Wrexham saw Obeng go on a run on 63, but he was not going to get past Blackwood who was having another solid game at left back.
A ball from Wright flashed across the face of goal from the right on 70 but agonizingly not one of three Lambs men could put get the decisive touch to send it towards the target.
Then, the Lamb erupted, as Sheridan received the ball on the edge of the area and appeared to have had it taken off him, but snatched it back off the last defender and went one on one with the keeper before slotting home into the right hand corner (2-1, 72 mins)
Tamworth conceded a corner with a clearance 30 yards in and from it substitute Williams headed over the bar with his first touch.
Assoumani became the fourth Wrexham player to go in the book on 78 for pulling back Sheridan as he tried to go past him by the dougouts and as Tamworth pushed forward Rodman was pushed over by the same player a few inches outside the area but MacKenzie couldn’t get his shot on target from the deadball.
Rodman picked up a booking for kicking the ball away after a foul by Shaw but it was just a minor blot on the copy book as The Lambs continued to push on as the final five minutes came into view.
A close range shot by Williams after a good through ball to the left of the penalty area was well saved by Alcock and a corner conceded which The Lambs dealt with effectively.
Mr Martin had to deal with a case of handbags as the minutes ticked away and a small number of Wrexham fans started to leave.
Briscoe dealt with a low hard drive towards goal with a hefty boot and Smith dealt with a high one into the box with a powerful header as the visitors looked for something as three minutes added time was shown, and sub Taylor became the fifth Wrexham player to go into the book.
Lyttle replaced MOM Wright as another scuffle ensued which required attention from the man in the middle and the clock continued to run down.
A long ball looking for the run of any Wrexham player was missed and Tamworth took the goalkick in what proved to be the last kick off the match as the Tamworth players left to a standing ovation.

Tamworth Team:
Alcock, Tait, Blackwood, Smith (capt), MacKenzie, Wright (Lyttle 90), Rodman, Prichard, Sheridan, Shaw, Briscoe
Subs: Hurren, Nicholson, Lake-Gaskin, Benjamin

Attendance: 1290

Man of the Match: Chosen by Tolputt Keeton: Nick Wright

Referee: Mr. S. J. Martin

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures