Search results to follow...

Hardworking Lambs fall by the odd goal in five

FT: Tamworth 2    3 York City

06 October 2009

Tamworth returned to action at The Lamb for the first time in four games, and welcomed York City who sat a point ahead as the two sides competed alone due to fixture rearrangements.
Gary Mills welcomed Michael Wylde back to the starting eleven but a late injury to Chris Smith (heel) ruled him out of the side - the first time he missed a start all season and Simon Russell was also unavailable due to the loan agreement between the two clubs meaning a return to the side for Des Lyttle as captain.

York started proceedings with a long ball towards the Castle End which whipped out of play from a left wing cross from Mackin.
Brodie tried to make a run down the right wing shortly after but was watched all the way not only by Blackwood but also by the plethora of non league managers in the crowd including Alan Neilson (Luton), Mark Cooper (Kettering), Justin Edinburgh (Rushden), Steve Burr (Stalybridge) and Darren Fulford (Atherstone)!
Rankine hit a long range shot off target on 5 while Blackwood forced himself into a good position on the right wing to put a cross into the danger area which Ingham was equal to.
Ferrell tried to float a shot towards goal on 7 but found the way blocked by Briscoe while at the other end, Tait forged a path towards goal but his shot was blocked, and Wright followed up with a powerful drive which flew just high and wide of the mark into the massed away fans.
York went on the offensive around the 10 minute mark but found their way hampered by a stubborn Lambs defence. Alcock did well to block a run from Ferrell into the area and although he put the return ball back into the box a combination of Wylde and Tait cleared the danger.
A long kick down the line from Tait on 16 was chased down by Wright and although Ingham collected the ball there were suspicions of a deliberate back pass which were waved away, but a minute or so later after Wright has been unable to get a shot away from close range, Tait flicked a header into the top corner from a good right footed ball into the box from Lyttle. (1-0, 18 mins)
Alcock was called upon immediately from the restart, denying a good one-two into the Lambs box, culminating with Ferrell looking for a shot from the angle.
Tait hit a scorer of a shot into the top corner from 25 yards on 25, after a great run by Rodman, but the whistle had already gone for a foul against the Lambs forward.
Tamworth were enjoying a prolonged spell of possession with some good football, mainly on the ground and won a freekick on the right on 28 for a push on Rodman which Shaw stepped up to take and put it onto the head of Wylde about 8 yards out at the far post, but he couldn't get the direction on his header.
York won a freekick on the right on 32 and Smith put the dead ball onto the head of Parslow whose effort came off the bar, but the chance had already been ruled out for offside by the assistant referee.
On 36 Rodman tried to make headway towards goal but had his heels clipped en-route and a freekick was awarded which Briscoe lined up from a central position 25 yards out. His shot cannoned off the wall but Tamworth regained possession and kept up the pressure which only ended when Rodman's through ball to Pritchard went slightly astray.
However, it was York who hit the back of the net next when Ferrell side footed home from the edge of the area after a well worked move set him up to take his chance pushing the ball into the near corner with Alcock unable to get his hands to it (1-1, 40 mins).
Tait blocked an effort from Purkiss on 42 on the left wing and just before the break, play halted when Sheridan and Barrett slid into each other on the halfway line. Sheridan got the ball first and the referee waved play on but when it was certain Tamworth's forward not bore any fruit, Briscoe kicked it out to allow Barrett to get some treatment.
Three minutes added time were shown at the end of the half, and Rodman tried a shot from the right of the area but only succeeded in worrying the birds in the tops of the trees behind the away stand.
York won a corner with the next move which Sanagre headed strongly only to be denied a goal by Wylde's head being in the way for another flag kick from the opposite side which was called up for a foul and the whistle blew on the first half's action.

HT: Tamworth 1    1 York City

Wright and Shaw started the second half for Tamworth but the ball went straight to Ingham and then straight to Alcock!
A minute and a half after the restart Rankine slammed a right footed shot against the upright from the right of the box and Tamworth broke through Rodman and Meredith picked up a yellow card when the move eventually broke down for an earlier tackle.
A superb right wing cross from Lyttle found Sheridan's head on 55 and he missed target by a matter of just a few feet after sprinting into the back of the area.
Then on 59 Rodman was called just offside after chesting the ball down from Shaw's lofted pass into the area and he received a similar ball a minute later but was denied by Ingham as got the better of Meredith and poked the ball goalwards.
York though, broke to the other end and a left wing cross from Ferrell was headed into the far corner from close range by Brodie to give the visitors the lead for the first time in the game (1-2, 61 mins).
Tamworth came back strongly and after shouts of handball after Tait has taken the ball round the keeper and fired a cross into the area from the right, Pritchard and then Sheridan saw their goalbound efforts blocked and cleared away.
York made a double substitution on 66 as light becoming heavier by the minute rain covered The Lamb and Tamworth won a corner from good work by Lyttle on 70 which came to nothing, but more good approach play from the home side almost paid off as Tait pushed forwards and caused the home defence some problems.
York enjoyed a few minutes of unproductive pressure as the final quarter of the hour came into view but on Sangare netted his sides third goal of the evening from Ferrell's left wing freekick with a diving header at the far post with 12 to go (1-3, 78 mins)
Sheridan was booked on 81 as York won a freekick by the right corner flag, but it was over hit and Mills made his first change of the game, while Foyle made his third and final substitution.
Rodman hit the ball straight into the arms of Ingham, taking advantage of hesitancy in the visiting defence on 82.
Tait looked to have won a stonewall penalty on 85 after being felled on the left of the six yard box, but won only a corner causing much protestation from the Tamworth players which earned Briscoe a booking.
Man of the match Tait then set up a tense finish with a neat header over the advancing Ingham (2-3, 88 mins).
Sheridan forced a corner on 89 which Sangare headed behind for another flag kick on the left hand side this time which Mackin headed clear and a handball was not given on the edge of the area against a York defender, as five minutes added time was shown.
Lake-Gaskin came on for the final minutes for Lyttle and Tamworth pushed forward from a freekick which eventually won them a corner which was punched and then caught by Ingham.
Brodie hit the bar deep into added time and Alcock recovered to block the return shot and as Tamowrth sprinted to the other end, Tait was brought down by Ferrell earning him a booking in the process.
Alcock ventured forward for the freekick but Brodie was on hand to clear the danger and the final whistle blew on the Lambs first home defeat in the league.

Tamworth Team:

Alcock, Tait, Blackwood, Wylde, Wright, Rodman, Pritchard (Andrew 81), Sheridan, Shaw, Lyttle (Lake-Gaskin 90), Briscoe
Subs: Mills, Belford, Koranteng

York City Team:

Ingham, Purkiss, Meredith (Carruthers 66), Parslow, Smith (Lawless 66), Ferrell, Barrett, Rankine (Paquette 82), Brodie, Mackin, Sangare
Subs: McGurk, Nelthorpe

Attendance: 1118

Man of the Match: Richard Tait

Referee: Mr. D. Mohareb

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures