Search results to follow...

Lambs go third with win over City

FT: Tamworth 2    0 Salisbury City

19 September 2009

Gary Mills was forced to make one change to the side from the game at Hayes and Yeading, for the visit of Salisbury City, after Nick Wright suffered an ankle injury in midweek bringing in Simon Russell for his debut, on loan from York City.
On the bench Daniel Andrew and Nathan Koranteng, in from Peterborough on loan / work experience, came in alongside Anthony Bruce, Trevor Benjamin and the gaffer himself with the side's injury list forcing selection somewhat.

Tamworth's formation took on a new look because of the changes, with Tait slotting in at left back, Blackwood moving to the left wing and Sheridan pushing forward from his usual midfield role.
Despite the changes, it didn't seem to phase the players too much with Lyttle putting a low cross in from the right which whizzed past the far post.
Blackwood moved into the area from a deft flick by Sheridan but instead of having a shot, he looked for a short pass to the edge of the area and the City defence cleared on 5.
Blackwood scoresPritchard hit a low shot from 25 yards on 8 which went wide of the left hand upright, and then on 12, a cross from the right from Shaw fell perfectly onto the head of Blackwood who made no mistake with a powerful header into the far corner to give The Lambs the lead (1-0, 12 mins)
Flood put a shot wide of the right hand post from 20 yards on 14 as the visitors looked for a quick response.
Russell won a freekick on the left wing on 16 and Briscoe hammered the ball into the back of the net when Bittner came, but was unable to hold onto the dead ball from Shaw and it fell invitingly for the Lambs defender to hit right footed on the volley (2-0, 17 mins)
Flood tested Alcock with a right footed shot from the edge of the area on 19 and Pritchard hit a right footed bending shot which Bittner saved low to his left on 22.
Sheridan was tackled badly from behind on 28 by Prosser earning Tamworth a freekick in a central position which Briscoe lined up and struck straight at goal, but also straight into the arms of Bittner.
Sheridan stole in to nip the ball out of the hands of Bittner from Turley's short back header but couldn't quite put the ball into the net, sending it just past the far post on 34.
O'Hara hit a shot on the volley from 30 yards into the arms of Alcock on 36.
Anderson picked up a booking on 43 for deliberate ‘Maradona' style handball in the middle of the Lambs half and another handball this time by Sinclair halted a Salisbury attack in its tracks on 45 as one minute added time was shown at the end of the first period without incident.

HT: Tamworth 2    0 Salisbury City

Briscoe scoresThe Lambs kicked off the second half, with Tamworth running attacking the Castle End of the pitch, and Pritchard almost got his head to a Lyttle cross from inside the Salisbury area, only for Bittner to deny him and then Russell turned and crossed from a similar position but Lake-Gaskin glanced his header wide of the far post.
Briscoe cleared a header from going in on 49 from O'Hara and Clarke followed up with a shot from the edge of the box which went straight into Alcock's hands.
Blackwood unleashed a left footed shot from 20 yards on 51 which just cleared the bar from the right of the box after beating the offside trap well.
Salisbury made their first change on 54 as Tamworth pushed forward and a corner from Blackwood threatened on the hour mark.
Briscoe cleared the ball away from danger from a dangerous cross on the right by Sinclair while at the other end Russell screwed his shot from the edge of the box wide of the mark after Pritchard had seen his shot hit a defender.
Smith booted Flood's low cross away from danger and Lyttle burst down the wing before feeding Sheridan who won a corner on 67.
Blackwood worked hard to get a shot away on 69 but dragged his right footed effort wide of the left hand post and City made their second change a minute later.
Sheridan forced Bittner into a great double save on 72, first with a low shot from the edge of the area from Russell's pass and then when the ball ballooned up Sheridan got a header away but Bittner recovered to deny him.
Pritchard was brought down on the edge of the area on 78 which came back off the wall and Russell put his shot wide of the mark and just prior to City's final change of the game Tait hit a low shot from the left a foot or two wide.
Blackwood was felled under a hefty challenge by the dugouts with 5 remaining and then picked up a booking on 86 for a foul on Tubbs who proceeded to sprint to the other end of the ground from the freekick and was denied a shooting chance by a combination of the Lambs defence.
Three minutes added time were shown at the end of the game and Koranteng  came on in midfield for his debut.
Russell ran through from midfield but was brought down by Oastler and The Lambs worked the freekick forward only for Bittner to get the ball from a stray defensive boot in the final action of the game.

Tamworth Team:

Alcock, Tait, Blackwood, Smith (capt), Pritchard, Sheridan, Shaw, Lyttle, Briscoe, Lake-Gaskin (Koranteng 90), Russell
Subs: Mills, Bruce, Benjamin, Andrew

Salisbury City Team:

Bittner, Clohessy, Anderson (Osman 81), Turley (Ruddick 70), Sinclair, Clarke (capt), Tubbs, O'Hara (Oastler 54), Brown, Flood, Prosser
Subs: Spence, Cox

Attendance: 0

Man of the Match: Chosen by - the whole squad

Referee: Mr. P. Bankes

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures