Search results to follow...

Lambs make a point against United

FT: Tamworth 0    0 Cambridge United

22 August 2009Tamworth welcomed Cambridge United to The Lamb for their Blue Square Premier game between 12th and 10th in the league respectively although Tamworth entered the game unbeaten, while United had won and lost two of their opening four.
Gary Mills welcomed back Michael Blackwood after returning from compassionate leave replacing Des Lyttle who played against Gateshead in Tuesday night’s one all draw in the only change to the starting eleven.
Cambridge kicked off proceedings towards their numerous and vociferous fans in the away end but booted the ball out left and The Lambs soon got into the swing of things until Willmott sprinted over the halfway line only to totally misplace his pass.
The visitors then enjoyed a little more of the possession, pushing the ball forward and causing the Lambs defence to work to clear as required until a foul on Rodman on the left by the clubhouse set up MacKenzie to play short to Wright who floated the ball onto the top of the bar from distance, leaving Potter a mere spectator, on 6.
MacKenzie rolled the ball through to Wright’s run a minute later but he was dispossessed by Saah en route and handball on the half way line saw Balckwood feed Sheridan and a throw was won by the tunnel only for United to break forward through Crow and win a throw on the right.
Cambridge enjoyed another spell on the ball with Holroyd looking for a striker from his right wing cross, but only found Tait in the way.
Wright forced Potter into a blistering save on 13 from a powerful right foot shot on the left of the area which the keeper put behind for a corner, however the kick was too long and Cambridge switched play to the other end, ending with Willmott hitting a long range effort straight into Alcock’s arms.
A syringn run by Rodman to the right by-line was halted by Tonkin on 16 but nothing was given except a booking for Tait for protesting after the event.
Climbing on Wright was penalised and Tamworth worked a freekick into the box on 21 which saw Shaw cross by Sheridan out jumped at the far post.
And it was Pritchard’s turn to hit the bar on 22 after a lovely pass from Wright allowed him to float the ball left footed towards goal, but the crowd held their head in their hands again as it clipped the bar.
The offside flag denied a cross from Pritchard reaching Rodman in the middle of the area on 24, and another run from Wright was called off by the assistant referee again a minute later much to the disgust of the home faithful.
Sheridan was sent sprawling as he tried to control the ball as it bounced towards the edge of the box and set MacKenzie to push the ball short to Blackwood who hit the ball through the crowded box and just wide via a deflection off the wall. The corner however, was halted by the flag.
Sheridan was sent tumbling on the left of the area on 32 but nothing was given as the referee waived away his claims for a push.
At the other end on 36 Pritchard was penalised for tripping United captain Carden on the edge of the D and the freekick from Willmott took a deflection off the wall and out a yard or so wide of the right hand upright for a corner which came to nothing.
On 42, Rodman tripped Carden just inside the Lambs half and the free kick was hit long for Crow but he pushed Tait as he received the ball in the box and was penalised.
One minute added time was shown at the end of the first half and Cambridge pressed but produced nothing to trouble Alcock before the whistle blew.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Cambridge United

Tamworth started the second half attacking the Meadow Street end and on 48 Tait got his head in the way of a right wing cross.
Pritchard was then brought down by Carden on 49 which saw the United captain receive a talking to from Mr Bond, and from the dead ball Blackwood won a corner on the right. The Lambs tried hard to work the corner into a shooting position but Cambridge got a boot in and cleared the danger.
Sheridan fed Wright down the left on 55 but Saah was just quickest to the ball, and on 57 Rodman worked hard to win a corner on the right which was cleared after a scrappy exchange in the box and The Lambs regained possession with Pritchard being fouled on the edge of the area as the side moved forward. MacKenzie pushed the ball short to Rodman who tried a low shot that was easy for Potter to take.
A run from Sheridan saw the ball hit low into the box on the hour but three covering defenders on the left hand near post pushed it away only for Tamworth to continue to push forward as the Shed found it’s voice and a corner was won on 62 which was cleared.
Sheridan was sent flying on the left of the box by Carden on 65 earning a booking for the Cambridge player but the offside flag halted play from the freekick.
Another foul a minute or so later and similarly placed was won by Blackwood which Shaw floated towards the far post and ultimately out for a goal kick.
Tamworth were continuing to have the majority of possession but finding the rouote to goal a difficult one, and when they did get a sniff of a shot they found the Cambridge defence either in the way or the pass just too long.
Crow picked up a booking on 76 for a tackle on Shaw in the D just before a drinks break which seemed to initially take some of the momentum out of the game although a good move saw Shaw hit a shot into the visitors back line before they broke and won a corner which Willmott took on the right and Gleeson half volleyed high over the bar from 12 yards in a rare chance for United.
Tonkin conceded a corner at the other end on 82 which Shaw took right footed and Wright headed goalward only for Gleeson to clear it off the line at the far post.
Tamworth won another flag kick on the same side on 83 but a clash of heads halted proceedings.
Shaw received a talking to after a tussle on the halfway line with Saah following a late challenge and when play continued Sheridan, Rodman and Pritchard combined to win a corner on the left. Tonkin twice cleared the ball away from the goal as Smith and then Wright put tame but difficult floating headers on target.
Shaw cleared the ball off the line on 90 when Saah turned on the loose ball following an initial shot and save from the right of the area. Hatswell headed the resultant corner wide of the mark and three minutes added time were shown by the fourth official.

Tamworth Team:
Alcock, Tait, Blackwood, Smith (capt), MacKenzie, Wright, Rodman, Prichard, Sheridan, Shaw, Briscoe Subs: Hurren, Nicholson, Lyttle, Lake-Gaskin, Benjamin

Cambridge United Team:
Potter, Gleeson, Tonkin, Saah, Hatswell, Parkinson (Ives 63), Holroyd (Beesley 71), Crow, Willmott, Carden (capt.) Subs: Coulson, Pitt, Walker (GK)

Attendance: 1316

Man of the Match: Chosen by Computer Friendly: Tait

Referee: Mr. D. S. Bond

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures