Search results to follow...

Sheridan strikes twice by half time

FT: Tamworth 3    1 Cardiff City XI

18 July 2009Tamworth welcomed a youthful Cardiff side to The Lamb for a friendly fixture sponsored by
Gary Mills made a few changes to the previous three friendly sides mixing things up with the available players.

A left hand side cross from Wright was met by the head of Rodman on 2 but he was unable to direct the ball towards goal and Cardiff cleared the danger.
Lyttle forced a corner on the right on 7 which Mackenzie fired onto the head of Wylde but his header screwed wide of the mark and the visitors cleared.
Wright’s right wing cross from the by line was headed out for a corner and from the flag kick Shaw hit a long ball into the six yard area which Santiago pushed behind for another corner and Sheridan put the ball over the corner of post and bar with a curling shot from the left a minute or so later.
Sheridan opened the scoring on 13 after a flowing move down the left wing involving four players. Sheridan recieved the ball back and fired a low shot at the near post which the keeper was unable to prevent crossing the line (1-0, 13 mins)
The keeper fumbled a high cross into the area on 20 and although Shaw reacted quickest Santiago recovered just in time to bat the ball away to safety
Pritchard missed a very close range effort by the near post on 24 from Sheridan’s low ball in and a minute later an audacious overhead kick by the same player went off target but was well won amongst the crowded box.
Shaw struck a deflected shot from outside the area for a corner on 27 and recieved the ball back but hit his effort wide of the mark.
Sheridan floated a lovely ball to the far post onto the head of Wright on 32 but he cushioned it over the bar.
Sheridan powered home a right footed shot into the far corner on 35 to make it 2-0 to The Lambs and it all came from good work and persistence by Shaw who threaded the ball through to him as he ran past the last defender into the area.
Wright burst through and forced a good close range save from Santiago on 41 before the half time whistle blew on a good first half for Tamworth.

HT: Tamworth 2    0 Cardiff City XI

Apps replaced Pritchard at half time and Cardiff, attacking the Castle End of the ground looked more lively than they had in the first half.
Sheridan won a corner on 54 but Shaw dragged his shot wide of the near post but it was Cardiff’s Cummings who reduced the arrears side footing home a low cross from Friel on the left (2-1, 56 mins)
Tamwort made a couple of changes around the hour mark with Hurren and Nicholson coming into the play and it was the former that almost got on the scoresheet with a glancing header from Sheridan’s left wing cross shortly after.
Briscoe replaced Smith at the back on 63 with the captains armband being passed to Wylde for the remainder of the game.
The Lambs won another corner on 67 which was cleared off the line from Rodman’s header and another flag kick came on 73 when the keeper cleared the ball against his own defender. Wylde headed the ball over the bar and the gaffer then came on for Rodman.
Yet another corner was won 75 which a Cardiff defender hooked accross the face of goal before clearing the danger.
From another corner on 83 Blackwood struck from distance and forced the keeper into a parry before he collected the ball.
In a rare moment of work for Alcock, he had to tip a floated cross from the right over his bar for a corner to City but he wasn’t troubled by the flag kick and took it at height.
Wildig tried a long range shot on 88 after spotting Alcock straying out of his comfort zone but floated the ball wide of the mark.
And in the 90th minute Hurren ran into the area and stole the ball off the toes of a Cardiff defender before slamming home a right footed shot into the far corner to make it 3-1.

Tamworth Team:
Alcock, Lyttle, Blackwood, Smith (Briscoe 63), Wylde, MacKenzie, Wright (Nicholson 61), Shaw (Hurren 56), Sheridan, Rodman (Mills 73), Pritchard (Apps HT)
Subs: Belford

Cardiff City XI Team:
Santiago, Jones (Diallo 65), Edwards, Evans Z, Evans A, Last, Cummings, Wildig, Jarvis, Smith (Friel HT), Farah (Al Basith 70)
Subs: Ottley

Attendance: 223

Referee: Mr. M. Perry

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures