Search results to follow...

Sheridan sees Lambs through AET

FT: Stratford Town 2    3 Tamworth

04 November 2008

Tamworth progressed to the quarter finals of this seasons Birmingham Senior Cup at Kinght's Lane, Stratford courtesy of an extra time winner by Jake Sheridan.

Fielding a side that would not have looked wholly out of place in the normal run of things - with only 4 changes to that which played against Gainsborough on Saturday - The Lambs took the game to their hosts (although they were getting as good as they got) and took the lead on 26 when Callum Burgess put the ball home at the second attempt from a corner. (1-0, 26).
Immediately from the restart Josef Jakab netted the equaliser, finishing a from the edge of the area having been given time and space to do so. (1-1, 27 mins)
Seven minutes later Matt Blair scored Stratford's second, finishing a switched ball from left to right with a low right foot shot, although Tamworth had been called up for a dubious offside before the home side broke forward and scored.
Ex-Lamb Paul Devlin took to the field shortly after, replacing Jakab but Tamworth could have equalised before the break after Rodman and Shaw combined to set up Wright who saw his shot saved well by Lewis in the home goal.

HT: Stratford Town 2    1 Tamworth

After half time Wylde had to leave the field with a head injury and Chris Smith came on in a straight swap. Smith almost got on the scoresheet with his first touch but the ball skipped off his feet in the area from Rodman's flick and went through to Lewis.
Tamworth then hammered the Town goal. Wright saw his close range effort pushed around the post, Rodman headed inches wide of the far post from Shaw's left wing cross, and then the equaliser came.
Rodman finished a good move at the back post after Shaw made it to the by-line and squared for the Lambs striker. (2-2, 74 mins)
By this time Sheldon had taken to the field and saw a freekick deflected over the bar before Shaw and Sheridan combined to see another shot defelected wide, Sheldon chipped over, the home defence made a Rodman sandwich but no penalty was given, Shaw saw his shot deflect off a defender and out for a corner, Rodman's low shot took a slight deflection to send it onto the base of the post and Smith headed over from the corner.
And at the end of 90 minutes Wright headed wide from Graeme Law's cross.

In extra time Richard Robinson headed a close range chance over the bar early on and Mark Faulds shot struck the inside of the far post - the ball bounced across the goal line and was cleared.
Sheridan tried a deft lob of the home keeper only to be denied by a fingertip save and Wright missed a glorious chance when his shot took yet another slight deflection to send it wide of the mark.
But Sheridan bagged what proved to be the winner 2 minutes before the end of the first period of extra time after good work from Rodman and Wright set him up to curl a delightful shot over the keeper and into the far corner from 20 yards. (3-2, 103 mins)
A late chance fell for Wright who burst through one on one with the keeper but got too close before shooting allowing Lewis to push his shot wide before the referee blew time on proceedings to send the Lambs through to the last eight of the competition.

Tamworth Team:

Puddy, Law, Langdon (Redfern 92), Burgess, Wylde (Smith 56), Foster, Rodman, Lea (Sheldon 70), Wright, Sheridan, Shaw
Unused: Davies, Bevan

Stratford Town Team:

Lewis, Robinson, Crawford, Byrne, Walker, Love, Blair, Faulds, Jakab (Devlin 36), Brookes (Rawlings 56), Gasper (Petty 110)
(All subs used)

Attendance: 170

Referee: Mr. Bingham (Leamington Spa)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures