Search results to follow...

Setanta Smiles for Lambs

FT: Kings Lynn 1    2 Tamworth

09 September 2008

After renewing old acquaintances at Alfreton last week, Gary Mills returned to a another former employer as The Lambs travelled a distance to face The Linnets in the Setanta Shield on a damp mild evening at The Walks.

As hinted after the win over Harrogate on Saturday, Mills made a number of changes to the starting eleven that moved within touching distance of the top of the table, keeping to the competition rules by naming the required number of players from previous games while also giving a run out to the squad members who hadn’t yet featured in the league campaign.
For King’s Lynn, ex-Lamb Simon Weaver took a place in the starting eleven, while ex-Villa star Julian Joachim started the game on the bench. The home side were unbeaten in eight games but had won only one.

Tamworth kicked off the game, and for those of you that have been to King’s Lynn before, they were kicking towards the goal to the left of the main stand (if you are sat in it!) and made an early chance through a Cameron Jones cross from the right but his cross was saved by Scott Howie.
Then with just 63 seconds gone, Tamworth took the lead through a fine Sheridan strike from Pritchard’s through ball which Sheridan fired home after first holding off the last defender on the edge of the area. (1-0, 2nd min)
After a period of play where Tamworth held possession but didn’t really threaten, the home side won a corner on 10 when the hard working Sheridan was forced to put the ball behind with a blocking tackle. However, King’s Lynn failed to threaten Puddy and Tamworth once again started to move the ball around well on the floor.
Sheridan tried his luck with a low effort from 20 yards on 15 but it was easy for Howie to collect and at the other end there were weak shouts for a penalty when Danny Bloomfield went down, but there was never any question and Puddy restarted the game with a solo drop ball.
Wylde cleared a dangerous cross with a telling header on 20 as the home side continued to press and Warburton brought down Charlie Defty on the right of the area on 22. From the free kick Puddy spilled the high ball but the Lambs defence cleared after a shot was rifled back into the six yard box.
It was then 2-0 on 25 when Pritchard headed home Sheridan’s knock forwards from close range after Jones’ right wing cross squeezed past the home defenders.
Lynn won a corner after a good block from a decent shot but The Lambs broke and forced a corner via a poor knock back to the home keeper.
Jones eventually received the ball back in the area but screwed his shot wide of the far post with Howie in full flight to his left.
Lea stole the ball away from Howie as it travelled towards the area via a long pass forward on 32 but was unable to get his shot away before the home keeper could recover and ended up chipping into Howie’s arms.
Bloomfield then put a great header on target on 33 from Joe Francis’ right wing freekick, but found Puddy in superb form as the Lambs keeper tipped it around the post for a corner, which was wasted by the home team.
Good movement from the Lambs midfield set Jones free but he found his route blocked once he entered the last third and only managed a tame effort which trickled wide on 40.
John Turner and Jack Defty linked well on the right for the Linnets on 42 winning a flag kick but once again they failed to pose any real threat.
Play switched from end to end quickly and after Lea had been thwarted by Howie, Mark Peters fired a header at goal which the Lambs headed off the line and away from danger.
One added minute came at the end of the first half of what can only be described as a very good first period from Tamworth.

HT: Kings Lynn 0    2 Tamworth

Lea forced Howie to spill his low drive on 49 and the home defence cleared.
Then on 51 McAughtrie conceded a silly freekick on Defty allowing Francis to try a strike from 20 yards but he skied his set piece and threatened the car park behind the terrace more than Puddy’s goal.
Francis then made amends by making a good run down the left wing before crossing onto the head of Defty but the Linnets forward couldn’t keep the attempt at goal down and headed off target.
Pritchard fed Warburton to have a shot at goal from the edge of the area on 55 which was fairly standard for Howie to collect before Lynn made their first sub of the game.
There was now a renewed sense of urgency about the home side, sensing that the minutes were ticking away on their Setanta Shield campaign but Tamworth had other ideas as Jones took the ball out of midfield and squared it for Hildreth to blast at goal from 25 yards. Unfortunately for him Howie was well positioned to block the shot with his body and the chance was gone as the home defence mopped up the loose ball.
Lynn made a further sub on 63 shortly after Hildreth had had a stiff talking to from the referee in the centre of the park.
Defty got into the area and shot across the face of the Lambs goal on 65 causing a bit of confusion after McAughtrie had done well to try and block him, and a combination of Puddy and the remaining defenders cleared the ball as it skipped around the far post area of the box.
Lea and Jones turned Weaver inside out before the latter crossed to the far post over the head of Sheridan and then Joachim came onto the field to the applause of the partisan home crowd – their final available change.
A high boot gave Adam Smith a freekick on 72 but after promising much his effort was roundly berated by the home faithful as it screwed high and wide of the mark.
King’s Lynn still did not give in but the Lambs continued to stem their flow in the final third, frustrating Joachim on the right until the 78th minute when he swept home Sedgemoor’s knock back from Frew’s left wing cross for his second goal of the season, to set up a tense last 12 minutes (2-1)
This brought a pair of changes for Tamworth with Sheldon and Smith coming on for the final 10.
Almost immediately Sheldon won a freekick as Langdon came on but it came to nothing and King’s Lynn won another dead ball on 85 when Pritchard tangled with Fisk 30 yards out, dead centre to goal. After the referee had taken a while to ensure the wall was inch perfect from the ball, Frew blasted miles off target.
Tamworth rode their luck after a melee in the area involving Joachim and Mitchell ending with McAughtrie heading clear on 87 and the home side continued to press after taking most of the game to wake up.
The Lambs were now forced to defend strongly as the home crowd also woke up and Smith received a booking on 89 for disputing a disputable freekick.
Sedgmeore fired low straight at Puddy in added time – of which a minimum of four minutes was shown, and Lynn continued to push forward.
A brief respite came courtesy of a freekick for The Lambs which Puddy fired forward and another freekick came but Sheldon was offside from the dead ball and King’s Lynn keeper Howie punted the ball forward once again.
Sheridan pushed the ball into the corner for a Lambs throw to see some more time out but Lynn won another freekick as the four minutes were easily passed but as the ball went wayward, Tamworth won a place in the next round.

Tamworth Team:

Puddy, Burgess, Law, McAughtrie, Wylde, Warbuton (Langdon 83), Pritchard, Hildreth (Smith C. 81), Lea, Jones (Sheldon 81), Sheridan
Subs: Wright, Rodman

Kings Lynn Team:

Howie, Defty C., Smith A., Peters, Weaver, Sedgemore, Turner (Fisk 56), Mitchell, Defty J., Bloomfield (Joachim 68), Francis (Frew 63)
Subs: Kelly, Murray

Attendance: 510

Referee: Mr. S. Feerick (Peterborough)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures