Search results to follow...

Lambs miss out on all three points

FT: Solihull Moors 1    1 Tamworth

28 February 2009With Martin Foster suspended for the game Craig Birley came in to the starting eleven to take his place at Damson Park, while Craig Mcaughtrie took over the captains armband as Gary Mills' Lambs hoped for a win against a side that never made things easy for Tamworth.

And soit proved to be again. Despite their lowly league position Solihull raised their game and frustrated Tamworth by keeping the ball in the air and not allowing The Lambs to play their passing game.
When Tamworth did keep the ball on the deck there were good signs and good moves which won Tamworth a couple of early corners but with 10 Moors men behind the ball for the most part it was a tough ask.
At the other end Waide Fairhurst saw two shots blocked by Mcaughtrie then Wylde but it was Birley who took Nick Wright's cushioned pass into the box, turned his man and fired low accross the face of goal, leaving Daniel Crane flat footed as the ball rolled into the far corner to give Tamwrth the lead (1-0, 27 mins)
More good play onm the floor appeared to have set Birley up for his second five minute later, but the home defence got in the way at the last moment and on 38 Pritchard planted the ball onto the head of Rodman only for the latter to arrive far to early and head well wide at the near post.
Danny Alcock ensured that ex-Lamb Jake Edwards did not make things all square at the break with a superb header via a reaction save down low to his left just before the whistle blew.

HT: Solihull Moors 0    1 Tamworth

Soluhill got the first shot away of the second half early on when Simon Travis flashed the ball wide with a right footed shot past the right hand post but amworth responded and Sheldon saw his cross goal shot tipped low around teh post by Crane a few minutes later.
Gary Mills made a change just before the hour with Jake Sheridan coming on for Nick Wright and the vociferous travelling contingent did their best to spur The Lambs on to victory.
However Moors obviously had ideas of their own and Junior English headed over a corner on the hour.
Solihull then appeared to be camped out in the Lamb half with their back four stationed on the half way line although a foray forward by Des Lyttle could have allowed Sheldon to push the ball for Pirtchard and beat the back four but a last ditch tackle diverted the ball away and out of danger.
Edwards flashed another shot accross the face of goal on 78 and Moors sub and another one-time Tamworth player Scott Rickards somehow didn't put the ball in the net when it wriggled free past Alcock with less than ten to go and the Tamworth custodian had his defenders to thank for clearing the danger quickly.
With the final whistle drawing ever near Sheridan was embroiled in a strange decision that enraged the Lambs supporters. He took the ball towards the corner and was upended by Jake Sedgemore. The referee booked the Soliuhull player for a blatant foul but then awarded the freekick to the home side as the assistant had his flag up for offside.
And so play switched to the other end quickly where Sheridan was penalised with a booking of his own for a foul on Tom Bonner on the edge of the area and Sedgemore stepped up to expertly fire the freekick over the Lambs wall and into the top corner to give the home side a share of the points. (1-1, 89 mins)

Tamworth Team:
Alcock, Lyttle, Reid, Wylde, McAughtrie, Birley, Wright (Sheridan 57), Shaw, Sheldon, Rodman , Pritchard.
Unused: Lea, Smith, Nicholson, Burgess

Solihull Moors Team:
Crane, Sedgemore, Bonner, Downes, Daly, Streete, Travis, English, Edwards (McPike 80), Fairhurst (Rickards 75), Middleton (Motteram 63)
Unused: Faulds, Tuohy

Attendance: 546

Referee: Mr G. Law (Leicester)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures