Search results to follow...

Lambs bow out of Trophy at first attempt

FT: Tamworth 0    1 Workington

22 November 2008

Tamworth took their first step in the FA Trophy and welcomed Workington to The Lamb.
Des Lyttle trained before the game, but was not quite fit enough to take part so Gary Mills kept consistency in his side with an unchanged eleven from last weekend’s victory over Farsley that kept them at the top of the league.

They would be looking for a repeat of the two side’s last meeting, earlier in the season when The Lambs romped home to a 4-1 victory at Borough Park.

The visitors kicked off the game towards the Meadow Street End and Tamworth won a corner on 3 which Shaw took by the clubhouse, Smith got his head to the deep dead ball but put his effort wide of the mark.
Phil McLuckie tried to release Gareth Arnison with a ball through the centre on 4 but Bevan cleared just outside his area with a hefty boot up field and Tamworth won a freekick on the left which came to nothing, but they still kept up the pressure and won another corner on 6.
Wright got the ball at his feet from Rodman’s header but the Workington defence cleared.
Tamworth were trying hard to break through a stubborn Workington side but found them quick in closing down chances. They created one of their own on 12 when Johnny Wright put a header towards goal and Bevan saved although the ball was going wide of the mark.
A good move involving Pritchard and Wright won Tamworth a corner on 17 but Workington broke and it took a good tackle from Smith to halt their forward progression.
Anthony Wright tried a speculative effort that cleared the bar and post with ease on 18 and the same player struck the home bar with a right footed shot on the turn after Langdon had lost possession and a low cross came in from the right.
A good chance fell to Pritchard which ended an eight pass flowing move from defence with a shot from close range on a tight angle but he cleared the bar after Rodman knocked the ball into his path at the near post on 26.
A tug on Rodman as he turned for goal 30 yards out set up Sheldon with a freekick, and he curled the effort over the wall but wide.

Johnny Wright shot into the arms of Bevan from 20 yards shortly after.
What could have been a disastrous ball that allowed Arnison to set up Johnny Wright with a golden opportunity to shoot for goal was stopped by a good blocking tackle from Smith on 33.
Pritchard found himself with time to shoot from the left of goal immediately after but rolled the ball wide of the far post.
The same combination of Wright and Arnison set up the former to flick over Bevan from the left of goal on 35, only for the chance to go wide of the far post while at the other end Sheldon tried his luck but failed to trouble Collin with a long range effort.
A foul by Smith on J. Wright set up Vipond with a freekick chance on 36 and his effort went inches over the cross bar.
A foul on Pritchard by Hewson gave
Tamworth a chance to shoot for goal on 43 from the left of the area but the freekick went terribly wrong and Workington stole the ball from the wayward sideways pass causing Bevan to leave his area to clear.
J. Wright got a shot at goal from inside the area but it was a tame one which Bevan stopped with his feet on 45 as one minute added time was shown before the half time whistle halted proceedings.

HT: Tamworth 0    0 Workington

Action v WorkingtonTamworth kicked off the second half, with fans hoping for lots of action to keep them warm on the terraces as the cold weather started to bite.
However, 10 minutes in and there was little to report. Arnison had seen a tame shot blocked by Smith but both sides were struggling to create in roads so the Lambs boss made a double substitution during a stop in play while Hewson received treatment for the opposition.
J. Wright was denied the opening goal on the hour by the offside flag and sub Birley fired low but wide a minute later at the other
After a prolonged period of Lambs possession
Sheridan tried a low shot from the edge of the box but Collin collected easily on 67.
Armison squandered a slim chance of squaring the ball into the area when Bevan missed his clearance and the forward took the ball too far and out of play on 70.
Sheridan tried his luck from the edge of the area again on 73 with a well thought out shot, but cleared the bar by some distance.
Then the visitors took the lead. J. Wright sprinted clear of Burgess on 78 and took the ball into the box before slotting home into the far corner. (0-1, 78 mins)
The wake up call for
Tamworth saw them quickly win a corner from the restart but Collin gathered Wylde’s header at height to deny a quick equaliser.
Birley picked up a booking for a hefty challenge that had won him the ball as McAughtrie came on up front in a four man attack.
J. Wright blazed a right footed shot over the bar from 20 yards on 88 while Smith almost equalised with an almost golf putted like low shot that went through a crowd of players but out at the far post on 89.
Pritchard received the ball with his back to goal shortly after but shot wildly off target and McAughtrie was denied what looked like a goal (every Tamworth player turned and cheered) with a header which came back out and was cleared as 2 minutes added time was shown before the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:
Bevan, Burgess, Langdon (McAughtrie 85), Smith, Wylde, Foster, Wright (Birley 57), Shaw, Sheldon, Rodman (Sheridan 57), Pritchard
Subs: Lea, Law

Workington Team:

Collin, Hewson, Rowntree, May, Andrews, McLuckie, Vipond, Hopper, Wright J, Arnison, Wright A
Subs (4 only): Hardman, Robinson, Coleman, Edmondson

Attendance: 433

Man of the Match: Chris Smith

Referee: Mr M. Thornley (Stockport)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures