Search results to follow...

Road to Wembley ends

FT: Tamworth 0    4 Barrow

25 October 2008Tamworth welcomed Blue Square Premier side Barrow to The Lamb for the FA Cup 4th Round Qualifying tie, with £12,500 and a potential money spinning tie against a league club awaiting the winners.

There were no surprises to the Lambs line-up with Gary Mills selecting the same starting eleven as the previous two league games which had both yielded maximum points as The Lambs continued their good form and would be looking to continue it.

After a minutes silence in memory of Bill Ealing and Peter Weir,
Tamworth kicked off proceedings towards the Castle End of the ground in a well packed Lamb.
Tamworth pushed forward from the off and kept the visitors penned into their own half making Barrow chase shadows for the most part.
The wind was not helping matters when the ball left the floor.
Dave Brown picked up a booking for a late challenge on Langdon on the half way line on 13 as
Tamworth continued to dictate most of the play without threatening Alan Martin’s goal.
Wright won a corner with a shot deflected behind on 18 and Pritchard saw the ball out on the opposite side for another flag kick straight after but nothing came of the second dead ball either.
Barrow got their first sight of goal on 20 but found Lyttle well positioned to clear a poor shot as Barrow evened the game out a bit with increased time on the ball.
Brown received a stiff talking to on 27 following another challenge before Matt Henney made a strong run onto the box from the right wing on 28 only to screw his shot under pressure on a tight angle.
Barrow kept up their pressure and won a corner after a whipped ball across the face of goal got a slight deflection en route before Bluebirds captain Jones was replaced by Paul Brown in an early substitution for the visitors.
Pritchard screwed a right footed shot wide of the far upright on 34 from Sheldon’s downward header while at eth othehr end Bevan made his first real save of the game from Richard Brodies low drive from 18 yards. Bevan dived full lengthy to his right and pushed the ball out for a corner and despite Barrow causing
Tamworth a few defensive problems from the flag kick, nothing came of it.
Barrow won another corner and as Logan’s low ball dropped in the area McNulty rifled home from 8 yards through a crowd of players to give the visitors the lead (0-1, 39 mins).
A great run by Nick Wright into the box saw Rodman misplace his shot, but Wright sent the ball back into the danger area and Sheldon headed for goal but couldn’t beat Martin who saved at his post.
A minute later Rodman fed Pritchard who in turn squared for Sheldon on the opposite side of the box and Sheldon struck for goal, but missed the near post by a foot or so.
The Lambs won a freekick on the right of the on 43 setting up Shaw to curl a low ball into the box. Wylde met it with a boot, but screwed his shot wide of the mark.
A minute added time was shown at the end of the first half, but
Tamworth were unable to get back into the game before the break, leaving the visitors a goal to the good at half time.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 Barrow

50 seconds into the second half Barrow doubled their lead via a Richard Brodie strike on the angle from the left of the box which powered it’s way into the far corner beyond the reach of Bevan. (2-0, 53 mins)
Paul Brown crossed from the left on 50 and Henney headed over the bar before Shaw made way for Birley to make his home debut.
A short back pass gave Wright a close range one on one chance on 57 but he wasn’t quite quick enough
Bevan was adjudged to have brought down Brodie as he sprinted into the box on 58 and the referee immediately sent off the Lambs keeper.
McAughtrie was brought on as keeper with Lyttle making way for the big defender to make his debut between the posts but he was helpless to stop Dave Brown’s spot kick to make it 3-0 on 59.
McAuightrie made a good stop from a deflected Paul Brown shot on 65 and punched the resultant corner clear with force, but the ball was put out for another corner and the makeshift shot stopper was called into action again from Brodie’s header.
The 10 man Lambs created a good chance to get one back on 67 but Sheldon’s hooked effort whistled across the face of goal an three minutes later Rodman was replaced by Sheridan.
Wylde connected well with Fosters freekick on 76 but his header went straight into the arms of Martin.
Birley unleashed a snap shot wide of the mark on 80 as
Tamworth continues to work hard despite the numerical disadvantage but Brodie ran through on 82 and fired home past McAughtrie to put the tie beyond any doubt. (4-0, 82 mins)
A minimum of four minutes added time was shown at the end of the game but there was little to report as Barrow progressed through to the next round.

Tamworth Team:
Bevan (sent off 58), Lyttle (McAughtrie 59 – into goal), Langdon, Smith, Wylde, Foster, Wright, Shaw (Birley 51), Sheldon, Rodman (Sheridan 71), Pritchard
Subs:, Lea, Burgess, Law, Murphy

Barrow Team:

Martin, Pearson, McNulty, Jones (Brown P 31), Logan, Henney (Walker 73), Bond, Boyd, Winn, Brown D (Tait 80), Brodie
Subs: Deasy, Hunt, Sheridan D, Bayliss

Attendance: 1012

Man of the Match: Bradley Pritchard

Referee: Mr. J. Adcock (Long Eaton)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures