Search results to follow...

Lambs win again in hard fought battle at The Walks

FT: Kings Lynn 1    2 Tamworth

21 October 2008Fresh from their table topping win over Workington on Saturday, Gary Mills’ Lambs made another long journey to The Walks looking to continue their good form.
Mills made no changes to the side from the weekend to face the mid-table home side who would no doubt be looking to bounce back quickly from their heavy defeat at the weekend.

The home side kicked off proceedings kicking to the right as looking form the main stand and quickly forced Bevan to collect a loose ball from Frew’s kick into the box following a right wing cross from Turner.
The Linnets kept up the pressure as the game continued at a furious pace but Tamworth were the next to have a chance at goal. On 5 Sheldon chipped over the home defence for Pritchard to run onto but he missed the target by inches with his lob over the advancing Howie.
Bevan made a good save from Defty on 6 after he had got the better of the Tamworth defence and did well to dive low to his right and parry the ball out from danger.
A foul on Chris Smith on 8 set up a freekick chance through Sheldon on 8 from distance and with Foster signalling for the ball to go to the back of the awaiting pack, Sheldon struck hard and low but missed the target, wide at the far post.
Smith put a backpass short for Bevan op 10and he only just beat Mitchell to the ball and cleared for a throw.
The first glimpses of a Lambs flowing move came shortly after and although Wright missed his chance to shoot, they won a corner on 11 which was too long and cleared long to Langdon in his own half.
Lyttle then tried a shot at goal and dragged his shot just wide of the left hand upright after good play from Sheldon and Foster.
A slight trip on Rodman as he tried to turn the defender set up a freekick which was taken quickly and Shaw fired low at the near post on the angle, forcing Howie to put the ball out for a corner and after a melee in the box, Smith fired home from close range to give The Lambs the lead. (1-0, 18 mins)
King’s Lynn were quick to come back at Tamworth though and almost equalised on 21 after a well worked move saw Mitchell fire just over the bar from 20 yards.
Somehow The Lambs didn’t make it two on 24 from a long freekick to far post which was flicked on towards Wylde, who put his close range header wide of the mark.
And after a surging run from Wright a minute later with ended with a low ball into box, Lyttle screwed his shot wide of the opposite upright when it might have been easier to get it on target.
The home side continued to press for an equaliser but found the Lambs defence hard to break down, non more so when Turner burst into the box from the right wing and tried a cross on 33 only to find his efforts thwarted by at least three of the Tamworth back four in some form or another.
And on 34 Tamworth made it 2-0, Rodman finishing a brilliant move from midfield orchestrated by most of the Tamworth front six and ending with Pritchard placing a weighted ball into his path before he fired home with force from 18 yards. (2-0, 34 mins)
Langdon nipped the ball off the head of Turner on 39 from Frew’s deep left wing cross to concede a corner and although Mitchell tried an overhead kick to finished the flag kick with a goal he found himself slightly offside and so it would have meant nothing (but would have looked impressive!)
Micthell again almost got on the scoresheet on 41 with a well placed but weak header at goal which drew the home crowd’s expectant cheers before Bevan easily caught the ball.
Another run from Wright past a couple of defenders won a corner on 43, although the same player needed treatment after taking the brunt of the proceeding tackle and the kick came to nothing as the Lambs leading marksman tried to walk off the discomfort.
Even with 10 mean on the field Tamworth were confident enough move the ball around on the floor before Pritchard was felled as the one minute added time came to an end.

HT: Kings Lynn 0    2 Tamworth

Sheridan replaced during the interval before The Lambs kicked off the second period but found the going no easier as the home side continued to press when possible.
In fact, The Linnets enjoyed the best of the play in the opening few minutes of the second half and won a corner on 53 which was headed just wide of the mark.
In a ‘rare’ attack from The Lambs Shaw was offside from Sheldon’s ball over the home defence on 55 as he tried a lob of Howie only for King’s Lynn to counter and Chapman’s cross had to be headed clear by Langdon as the home faithful sensed a breakthrough for their team was not far away.
On 59 Sedgemore put a tame shot at Bevan from a good set up by Mitchell and there was more to come as Mitchell forced a great stop by Bevan with his feet from Mitchell a couple of minutes later.
Rodman did well to get the ball into the box looking for Pritchard on 62 but he was beaten to it and won a corner but it was wasted and Lynn broke, only for Bevan to collect the dangerous right wing cross at height.
Sedgemore headed an Adam Smith freekick wide of the mark on 62 but a minute later it was 2-1 when Turner beat the Lambs defence and held off Smith to fire home. (2-1, 64 mins)
Adam Smith tried his luck from distance on 68 but cleared the bar with ease and brought loud chants from the home supporters.
Birley came on for Shaw with 21 to go in and the Lambs quickly won a flag kick but could do nothing with it as the home side pushed them out and tried to break quickly.
Tamworth were being forced to clear by any means and a long ball out of defence set up nicely for Sheldon but he could only shoot from distance and failed to trouble Howie.
King’s Lynn brought their final two subs, including Julian Joachim, into the fray on 79 and he almost equalised with a right footed poke at goal from 15 yards a minute later but shot wide of the mark.
The Linnets kept up their pressure and caused Tamworth to work very hard when they managed to get into their opponents half which was becoming increasingly less often as the minutes ticked by.
Joachim half hit a right wing cross that landed at his feet goalward on 87 and Bevan eventually collected the ball a few yards wide of the goalmouth and a late call on a freekick after initially allowing play to continue set up a right wing freekick on 89 which somehow got cleared only to be punted back into the danger area and won the homeside a corner on 90 - from the flagkick Graham rose highest but headed over at the far post.
Four minutes added time was shown and Fisk clashed with Lyttle on the half way line following a tackle – resulting in the Linnets subs receiving a red card for his actions.
Butu it did little to dampen the home sides movement forward until the full time whistle blew on another win for The Lambs.

Tamworth Team:

Bevan, Lyttle, Langdon, Smith, Wylde, Foster, Wright (Sheridan HT), Shaw (Birley 69), Sheldon, Rodman, Pritchard
Subs: Lea, Burgess, McAughtrie

Kings Lynn Team:

Howie, Defty, Chapman, Graham, Crane, Sedgemore, Frew (Francis 70), Mitchell (Fisk 65), Defty (Joachim 79), Smith, Turner
Subs: Bloomfield, Murray

Sent off: Fisk 90+

Attendance: 742

Referee: Mr. M. C. Dexter

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures