Search results to follow...

Lambs win again in a windy encounter

FT: Tamworth 2    0 Hyde FC

04 October 2008

Ten unbeaten Tamworth welcomed 17th placed Hyde United to The Lamb in a ‘break’ from FA Cup action and manager of the month Gary Mills selected the same eleven that had defeated Worcester City the previous Saturday.

Sheldon almost opened the scoring with less than half a minute gone but blazed his shot high over the bar on the turn after a great ball into the area from Rodman.
More good movement from the Lambs won them a corner on 3 when Rodman’s shot took a deflection, and despite obvious hunger from the flag kick nothing came of it.
The Tigers kept
Tamworth back in their own half for a short time and with the wind behind Hyde’s backs the visitors won a corner on 8.
Although nothing was coming of the United attack
Tamworth were being forced to work hard in midfield to create in roads into the visitors half.
A fine move involving Pritchard and Lyttle saw the latter move the ball into the box and drive into the danger area. Sheldon connected, but sent the ball over the bar from 8 yards out on 16.
Wright forced a corner on 22 as The Lambs continued to battle against the breeze. Nothing was forthcoming from the flag kick, but shortly after Sheldon stole the ball from a poor pass on the edge of the area and tried to go around Dootson but couldn’t quite manage it. He squared for Wright who missed his shot and the ball came back in onto the head of Sheldon but his effort just went over the corner of post and bar.
After a defensive pass back by Smith, a miskick by Bevan on 27 fell short and to Simm on the edge of the area. Wylde brought him down resulting in a booking and a freekick for Hyde 22 yards out on the left of the D allowed Tipton to step up and clear the bar with his strike.
Wright’s right wing cross was nipped off the head of Sheldon at the back post on the half hour mark and only the offside flag denied Pritchard from finishing a great ball across the face of goal by Wright on 34 as Tamworth tried to get a grip on proceedings.
Hyde won a corner on 39 and although the initial ball in was cleared they kept up the pressure but Owens fired high and wide in space in the area.
The Lambs took the lead on 42 after good work by Rodman sent the ball low towards Dootson and Sheldon nipped in to make sure from a yard out for his 7th of the season. (1-0, 42 mins)
Hyde pushed forward immediately from the kick off and created a bit of mayhem in the Lambs penalty box from a corner but failed to capitalise on the chance.
Innes received the ball from a half cleared defensive boot in added time, but failed to get anywhere near the target with his shot and The Lambs went into the dressing rooms a goal to the good.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Hyde FC

Hyde kick off the second period into an ever increasing gale but it was The Lambs that took the lead when Wright’s shot deflected over the visitors defence allowing Pritchard to nip in and flick the loose ball into the net from close range (2-0, 47 mins)
A trip on Rodman set up a dead ball chance for Hildreth from 38 yards on 49. The ball found Sheldon who cushioned it to the far post but Wylde was unable to control his header and he put the chance over the bar.
Lynch put a two footed tackle on Pritchard inside the Lambs half on 50 and saw his name go in the book for his efforts.
At two nil up
Tamworth continued to look mightily hungry with passes only going wayward because of the wind as they continued to camp out in the Tigers half.
Bevan was forced into his first save of the game on 58 when Clee sent a floating effort goalward causing the Lambs custodian to parry it clear and Wylde put in a good tackle when the same player fired low into the area a minute later.
Hildreth finished a good run from Rodman with a rising effort over the bar on 62 and Pritchard fired wide from distance on 64.
Wright was replaced by
Sheridan on 67 and the wind carried with it an increasingly persistant drizzle, making conditions far from ideal in the final quarter of the game.
Pritchard saw his goal bound shot kicked away by Clee on 83 after a good run by Rodman past two defenders on the left of the area and
Sheridan forced an easy but necessary save by Dootson on 85 from his right footed shot.
Dootson saved Sheldon’s strike from distance with his feet shortly after winning
Tamworth a corner but Wylde headed over the bar from the flag kick.
Three minutes added time was shown at the end of the game but there was little to report as the unbeaten run extended once again with another clean sheet.

Tamworth Team:
Bevan, Lyttle, Langdon, Smith, Wylde, Foster, Wright (Sheridan 67), Hildreth, Sheldon (Lea 86), Rodman, Pritchard
Subs: Warburton, Burgess, Law

Hyde FC Team:

Dootson, Lynch, Oakes, Brass, Harrison, Innes, Owens, Cartwright, Tipton, Simm (Coward 76), Clee
Subs: Bernstein, Igenoza, Rick, Williams

Attendance: 859

Man of the Match: Bradley Pritchard

Referee: Mr. M Ampett (Kidderminster)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures