Search results to follow...

Lambs net another three points

FT: Tamworth 3    1 Harrogate Town

06 September 2008Tamworth, in fifth in the league with one defeat welcomed Harrogate Town, in second place, to The Lamb on a very wet and rainy afternoon in the Midlands.

And with the aim to continue the Lambs good form and extend the unbeaten run to six games. Gary Mills made no changes to the side that drew one all at Alfreton in midweek.

Tamworth kicked off towards the Castle End of the ground with the heavens still pouring down making control a little harder than usual on the slippy surface.
Both sides struggled to take control, hampered by the conditions more than anything with longer balls running away but in the ninth minute a perfect pass to Sheldon opened the scoring.
Nick Wright pushed the ball past the last defender and Sheldon beat the offside to run onto the chance and slot home inside the right hand upright past keeper Jim Provett (1-0, 9 mins)
Harrogate quickly responded as both sides tried hard to keep the ball on the floor and play a passing game.
On 14 Rodman was brought down as he sprinted onto what looked a certain chance at goal, but he was far enough out of the area for Shane Killock to escape with a yellow card. Fosters short freekick to Wright made it into the area but was cleared by the home defence and a foul on Wylde halted play in the
Tamworth half.
Wright and Pritchard combined to force an easy stop at his near post from Provett on 19 and at the other end Wylde blocked Darren Dunning as he tried to get a shot at goal on the left of the area.
The resultant corner was cleared but Town kept on looking for a way back into the tie.
They won another corner on 23 when the ball came off Wylde and Killock missed his far post header by a few feet.
Michael Roddy had to receive attention for a cut and ended up changing his shirt because of the flow of crimson.
Harrogate corner was won on 25 which Ryan Toulson fired to the far post and McAughtrie cleared behind with a looping header for another flag kick on the other side.
Lyttle booted this one clear but still Harrogate were unrelenting in attack until, that is, that Wright powered down the right, crossed to the far post and Toulson put behind for a Lambs corner on 27. Foster took it short, received it back and found the head of McAughtrie but his downward ball was missed at the far post by Wright by inches.
Intelligent play from Wright and Sheldon gave Rodman a chance of attacking the goal down the right channel and he won a corner on 36 which Provett took at height.
The balance of play was more in the Lambs favour now and the rain had finally slowed to a drizzle.
Wright saw two shots inside the area blocked by the bodies of the home defence on 40 and Langdon and Rodman both tried crosses from opposing wings and Pritchard hit a hopeful effort from 25 yards shortly after but his dip at goal was off target.
A surging mazy run past four
Harrogate players from Rodman ended with a shot from distance on 45 and it only just went past the left hand upright with Provett beaten.

HT: Tamworth 1    0 Harrogate Town

Harrogate got the second half underway, arriving back onto the field just seconds before restarting the game and although Pritchard was adjudged to have fouled, Rodman quickly took the ball upfield.
A freekick was awarded after a foul by Town captain Denny Ingram on Rodman on 51 which earned the
Harrogate player a yellow card.
Tamworth then went close but Sheldon’s header went over the bar from Rodman’s cross on the left.
Holland got a rare sight of goal on 55 firing high over the corner of post and bar under pressure from Wylde and the Lambs immediately surged to the other end through a flick through Sheldon and ended the move with Rodman taking the ball into the area around the keeper and making it 2-0 from a tight angle much to the delight of the home faithful.
Sheldon was left requiring treatment after a clash but also received a booking for his efforts and Harrogate took the freekick with Sheldon off the field.
As he was coming back on Richard Marshall hit a hopeful effort into a crowded box which resulted it in a corner and Puddy did well to clear the danger.
But Harrogate pushed on and Ingram perhaps got the slightest of touches to a cross from Dunning which appeared to go straight in from the right wing to make it 2-1 on the hour mark.
Toulson then missed a good chance to level the tie, firing into the side netting from inside the area with Puddy well positioned.
Tamworth hit the back of the net again two minutes later though, with Wright netting his fifth of the season with a peach of a curling shot over Provett into the far corner after a good set up from Rodman who did a lot of hard work getting the ball from the halfway line. (3-1, 65 mins)
Lyttle found himself in a good position as the Lambs beat the offside trap on 71 and forced a corner on the right which Provett collected.
Langdon then received a yellow card for a tame challenge which saw
Holland writhing in agony 25 yards out. But Dunning struck his freekick straight into the wall and Sheldon hoofed the ball upfield out of danger.
The visitors heads looked to have dropped a little as the game entered the final ten minutes as occasional passes went wayward.
Fresh Lambs legs came on in the guise of Sheridan who wasted no time in tracking all over the field as the visitors tried make something of the last few minutes.
Neither side could threaten either keeper in the final throws of the match though and The Lambs signed off with another three points.

Tamworth Team:
Puddy, Lyttle, Langdon, McAughtrie, Wylde, Foster, Wright (Sheridan 84), Smith, Sheldon (Lea 90), Rodman, Pritchard
Warburton, Hildreth, Law

Harrogate Town Team:

Provett, Toulson, Lowe, Ingram, Ryan (Gray 65), Killock, Young, Dunning, Marshall (reay 74), Holland, Roddy
Subs (4 only): Ormsby, Hedge

Attendance: 553

Man of the Match: Gareth Sheldon

Referee: Mr. D Meeson

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures