Search results to follow...

Lambs bring home three points

FT: Fleetwood Town 1    2 Tamworth

30 August 2008Highbury (Avenue) was the destination for the travelling Lambs who made the journey to Fleetwood to face the Cod Army in the two sides first ever competitive fixture.

Gary Mills named an unchanged eleven for the game.

A good first half show from The Lambs saw them leading the game by a goal to nil at half time.
Wright scoresWright put the ball in past Danny Hurst in the 25th minute after good build out play from the back saw Pritchard, Rodman and Foster combined to dink the ball over the home defence, allowing Wright to run onto it and slot home. (1-0, 25 mins)
There were other chances for Tamworth before and after the goal but despite some good moves forward, which left the home defence lacking, the ball just wouldn’t find it’s way into the goal.
Pritchard linked with Rodman on 4 but the latter took too many touches before trying his luck and Foster sent a long ball forward looking for the head of Smith which he found, but the Lambs midfielder couldn’t get it on target.
Rodman was unlucky not to get his shot away shortly after and more good movement from Rodman and Pritchard almost set the latter up despite some shirt pulling on Rodman.
Pritchard did get a go at goal on 24 with a flash shot which flew just wide of the post and 60 seconds later Wright gave The Lambs the lead.
Sheldon also got a ball across the face of the home goal on two occasions from the right of the area but there was no one on hand to knock it home before Hurst could collect.
Fleetwood did exert some pressure of their own with McAughtrie, Wylde, Langdon and Lyttle all earning the plaudits for their defensive capabilities to keep the Cod Army at arms length giving them no chance to produce a product at the end of their endeavours.

HT: Fleetwood Town 0    1 Tamworth

Wylde went shoulder to shoulder with Phil Denney and the latter fell under pressure in the box but the referee was having none of it and waved his claims for a penalty away with just a couple of second half minutes gone.
Wright burst past his defender on 52 and crossed from the right of the area but it was collected by Hurst although the home side were possibly enjoying more of the possession as they had at the end of the half.
Puddy punched clear a high ball into his box on 53 which Wright collected and he sprinted down the wing before winning a throw by the half way line.
And Puddy had to clear under pressure from Adam Warlow shortly after when McAughtrie was forced to play the ball back to him. Beattie then hit a low shot at Puddy which the Lambs keeper saved easily.
With the home side still putting the pressure on two sets of fresh legs came into play with half an hour to go.
Sheldon found Pritchard with a low ball from the left into the area on 63 but Pritchard’s shot hit Smith and was cleared.
Fleetwood had the ball in the Lambs area more and more often without forcing a save from real Puddy and from one chance Tamworth broke well and quickly but Rodman failed to get a decent shot off or pass away at the end of it.
Home sub Steve Foster saw Puddy out of position on 68 but miss-hit his half volley as the ball came over his shoulder from a long pass forward.
Puddy was thankful that the ball went out of the area on 74. His punched clearance was not met well and although it went the right way, Peers picked it up and tried to lob it into the goal but had a crowded box to negotiate and thankfully he missed the target by miles.
Pritchard was brought down by Beattie with 13 to go and the Fleetwood player earned himself a yellow card for the bad tackle.
McAughtrie flicked Peers’ left wing cross out for a corner on 78 which McAughtrie headed clear and Tamworth broke which ended with Wright being stopped by a diving tackle on the edge of the area as he shaped to shoot.
Sheridan made a creative run into the box on 81 but his pull back for Pritchard was cut out and Pritchard then found himself brought to the ground by Colin Potts to give The Lambs a freekick on the left of the area from which Sheridan won a corner but Foster’s shot was high and wide of the mark, Dean Lea then replaced Wright in attack
Potts miss-hit a shot on the left of the area which allowed Puddy a standard save much to the annoyance of the home faithful.
SheldonA final change for Tamworth brought Hildreth into the game after a run out, and goal, in the reserves the previous weekend and in the final seconds Sheldon ran onto and rolled the ball around the keeper before slotting home to make it 2-0 at the death.
But it wasn’t the final action as Andy Bell slammed home a rebound after a good shot came back out to him and before they could get going again the Lambs kicked off and the final whistle blew on another three points.

Tamworth Team:


Puddy, Lyttle, Langdon, McAughtrie, Wylde, Foster M., Wright (Lea 83), Smith, Sheldon, Rodman (Sheridan 71), Pritchard (Hildreth 88)
Subs: Warburton, Law

Fleetwood Town Team:
Hurst, Walmsley, Garner, Doughty (Bell 74), Kilbane, Dunne (Potts 59), Beattie, Milligan, Denney (Foster S. 59), Warlow, Peers
Subs: Pond, Bayliss

Attendance: 1053

Referee: Mr P. Bankes (Bootle)

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures