Search results to follow...

Lambs fall to first half goals in Cumbria

FT: Barrow 2    0 Tamworth

19 April 2008

Tamworth made the long journey to Barrow in Furness for their league game against The Bluebirds and with it hoped to upset the home side’s aspirations of getting into a play off place, but they would have to halt the side’s 15 game unbeaten run to do it.

After the disappointing 2-0 reversal at relegation threatened Hinckley on Monday evening, Gary Mills made two changes to the side – bringing back Nick Wright and welcoming back Dominc Langdon from injury, meaning Colin Marrison and Marcus Ebdon took places on the bench.

Earlier in the season Tim Deasy had been the saviour of Barrow stopping two penalties in a goalless draw at The Lamb but back in the present and it would by Tamworth who would be out to stop their hosts from achieving their aims.

Prior to the game the Barrow management team picked up their Blue Sq. North managers of the month award, and Lambs fans hoped it would be a good omen..

A harsh wind was whipping down the ground helping the Tamworth cause and tried to exert themselves on the game and an early shot from distance came from Gareth Sheldon but it was always going wide if only just.
There was an early change forced for Gary Mills, after an injury to Michael Briscoe which was obviously causing him a lot of a lot of pain as he held his arm (possible dislocation) and he had to be helped from the field. This brought Jonti Richter into play with less than 6 minutes gone and a reshuffle of the Lambs back four with Martin Foster dropping back.
And before Tamworth could find their feet again, Chris Thompson fed Nick Rogan who in turn passed to Jason Walker in the area and he saw his shot deflected into the path of Matt Henney to hit his 14th goal of the season from close range at the far post. (0-1)
Jake Sheridan had a try on goal from 18 yards on 9 but cleared the bar
The Lambs won a freekick on 17 an Sheldon stepped up and although his shot hit Chris Nurse in the area, Foster knocked the ball into Richter who spun and struck a shot inches wide of the far post.
A surging run from Nick Wright saw him cover about 50 yards but struck a woeful effort which went well wide from 20 yards on 20.
Tamworth won a corner on 22 and the ball fell to Richter but his shot was ‘headed’ firmly away by Steve McNulty who needed attention to a facial injury shortly after , as The Lambs continued to give as good as they got if not more.
A good move from The Lambs set up Wright to jink through the defence on the half hour who pushed the ball across the box for Richter, but his shot was easy for Deasy to collect.
Another shot came in less than a minute later via Nurse but again Deasy collected and seconds later a disastrous back pass from Paul Jones almost gave Sheldon an easy goal but the angle was tight and his shot went across the six yard box and out.
Sheldon should have equalised on 33 and would have done, but his header was clawed out by Deasy and over the bar out for a corner which went out for a goal kick from Sheridan’s shot.
A rare spell of Barrow pressure then came but Tamworth countered with Sheridan feeding Nick Wright who burst down the left, cut in and fired a shot into the near post on his right foot but saw it smothered by Deasy as Sheldon tried to pounce.
Richter tried another shot from distance on the turn on 41 but failed to test Deasy.
Walker was denied a shot from close range by Langdon on 43 after sprinting onto a through ball which saw the home striker looking offside, but no flag was shown and a minute or so later a poor piece of skill from Langdon lost Tamworth possession and Henney sprinted through to slide the ball into the far corner and make it 2-0 to the home side.

HT: 0-2

Two goal man Henney was replaced at half time who had been 50/50 before the game and Tamworth kicked off the second half.
A disastrous back header from Adie Smith allowed Rogan to nip in and he lobbed Cisak but his the ball clipped the underside of the bar and was cleared, and shortly after Walker saw his shot saved by Cisak – both inside the first minute or so of the first half as the home side pushed from the first whistle.
The Lambs heads definitely had not dropped and won a couple of corners as they pushed forward looking to a break and Wright also forged a way through on 57 but his cross from the right of the area hit the wrong side of the near post and went out.
A wind assisted goal kick from Deasy bounced and cleared Cisak’s bar by just a few feet on the hour mark as the game swung both ways although play favoured the home side more than it had in the first half.
From a Barrow corner on 63, Walker’s header came back off the far post, hit the same player and went wide after Cisak missed his catch at full stretch.
Tamworth pushed forward with 20 remaining and won a corner but it was cleared despite another powerful shot from Richter.
As was the way with the second period, Barrow came to the fore with 15 remaining and won a couple of corners ending with McNulty’s header wide of the mark at the far post.
And as if to prove the point that Barrow would not be beaten, despite The Lambs deserving a goal, Nurse, Lyttle, Sheridan, Richter and Wright were all denied in one way or another as the ball pinballed around the area from Sheldon’s chip into the six yard box with 9 remaining.
The Bluebirds brought on Rio Nelson who won a corner on 84 which was cleared, before Lyttle picked up the first card of the came for pulling back Paul Tait inside the centre circle.
Adie Smith’s unmarked free header went from six yards into the floor and bounced high into the arms of Deasy on 88 when it would have been easier to get a goal back and Richter fired a low shot just wide 30 seconds later.
Two minutes added came but it was not to be the Lambs afternoon in Cumbria and they left empty handed.

Deasy, Woodyatt, Elderton, Jones, McNulty, Henney (Brown HT), Bond, Boyd, Walker (Nelson 83), Rogan (Tait 74), Thompson
Subs: Sheridan D, Bayliss

Cisak, Lyttle, Langdon, Briscoe (Richter 6), Smith, Bampton, Foster, Nurse, Sheldon, Wright, Sheridan J.
Subs: Marrison, Ebdon, Jackson, Waldrum

Yellow Cards: Lyttle 84
Red Cards:

Referee: Mr. J. Johnson

Att: 1499

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures