Search results to follow...

Lambs have to settle for a point

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Vauxhall Motors

29 March 2008

Lambs boss Gary Mils made no changes to the side that had defeated third placed Stalybridge Celtic on Easter Monday as relegation threatened Vauxhall Motors to The Lamb for the first time ever, managed by Burcough’s then-captain from the FA Trophy Final at Villa Park – Carl MacAuley.
Tamworth defeated the Motormen 3-0 at Rivacre Park a few weeks previously, and Mills was looking for the “Dr Jekyll” rather than “Mr Hyde” side of his squad’s capabilities once again.

Extremely blustery wind and occasional rain whipped around the Lamb causing problems when the ball went into the air.
But Chris Nurse judged a Foster cross form the right into the area perfectly inside the first minute but headed his effort over the bar.
The Motormen enjoyed a spell of pressure, keeping the ball in the Castle End half of the ground, mainly by virtue or the strong gale.
A wind assisted lob by Gareth Sheldon from the edge of the area on 7 had the visiting defence scrambling to clear the ball away as Nick Wright tried in vain to follow up at the far post as Tamworth tried to turn the screw in the opposite direction.
Sheldon strikesOn 12 Sheldon headed a pinpoint cross from the right wing by Martin Foster straight into the hands of Andrew Murphy from close range and Jake Sheridan then won a corner which Sheldon eventually fired home from the left of the six yard box, the ball going powerfully in off Motors defender Alan Griffiths on 13. (1-0)
Alex Cisak saved his defences blushes on 17 by blocking Thomas Carrols turn and shot at the end of a good run and pushing it out for a corner and The Lambs custodian collected Pete Heler’s centre well from the flag kick.
Ashley Williams had the next best chance as Carroll cut the ball back from the line only for Williams to clear the bar with his shot on 24. Carroll forced a corner shortly after which Langdon cleared and Tamworth tried to push on but the move out broke down with a wayward pass forward.
Neat passing from the home side was failing to produce an end product as Tamworth struggled with the conditions to get decent balls to feet.
Sheldon required a back rub on 36 after a mid air clash for a high ball but was OK to continue as the wind continued to play havoc with the trajectory of balls above head height.
So Tamworth tried their best to keep it on the deck and other than accurate final balls into the danger area looked thoroughly in control of the game.
However, it took a save by Cisak with his feet to deny Tom Field on 44 after The Lambs failed to clear Carroll’s danger prior to the half time whistle blowing after a minute of added time.

HT: 1-0

Mills swapped Foster for Marcus Ebdon during the break but it was Wright who took the first corner o fthe half shortly after the restart which fell invitingly for Briscoe to have a stab at goal. But it was easy for Murphy to collect.
Wright broke the offside trap to win a corner on 54 which eventually fell to Sheldon who tried a strongly hit curling effort, but sent the ball wide of the mark.
The rain was not helping matters, and on 59 a disastrous header from Briscoe allowed Carroll to nip in and advance on Cisak’s area before firing home the equaliser (1-1)
Wright triesSheldon’s left wing cross was headed clear on 62 as the Lambs looked for a quick response but the next shot came from Ashley Williams on 67 – a long range drive which Cisak was equal to.
Edbon won a corner on 70 but no one could get a decent shot away from the edge of the area and Nurse came off for Jonti Richter
Ged Brennan saw an attempt at goal got wide from a low shot on 72 as Vauxhall continued to refuse to lie down and Mills made another change with his third substitution of the game – bringing Colin Marrison on for Wright on 75.
First booking of an otherwise clean game came on 76 following an elbow by Joe McMahon on Briscoe.
Tamworth reignited their spark and won a couple of corners but failed to make them count and on 80 Richter fired over the bar from 15 yards.
Carroll’s pace got him into a good position to win Vauxhall a corner on 82 which Brennan headed wide and a couple of minutes later Sheldon fired low past the far upright with a right footed strike.
With 2 minutes to go Richter hit the woodwork from close range with a shot from 8 yards and Des Lyttle’s follow up header was saved by Murphy.
A minute later Lee Owens missed his chance at the far post from Peter Heler’s dangerous ball in before three minutes added time was shown.

Cisak, Lyttle, Langdon, Briscoe, McAughtrie, Foster (Ebdon HT), Smith, Nurse (Richter 71), Sheldon, Wright (Marrison 75), Sheridan
Subs: Jackson, Law

Murphy, Holmes, Maddox, Field, Griffiths, Robinson, Heler, Brennan, McMahon (Owens 81), Carroll, Williams
Subs: Hannigan, Smith, MacAuley, Rigby

Yellow Cards: McMahon 76
Red Cards: -

Referee: Mr. J. Adcock (Long Eaton)
Att: 745

Chicago Rock Man Of The Match: as chosen by match sponsors:

Matchball Sponsors: Alan Fitzpatrick and Dave Brown

50/50 winners: Cash: 5634, Odeon Cinema Tickets: 5610, McDonalds Vounchers: 5589

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures