Search results to follow...

Lambs fall in final minute off added time

FT: Tamworth 1    2 Aldershot Town

23 February 2008

Tamworth welcomed high flying Aldershot to the Lamb for their FA Trophy Quarter Final tie with both sets of supporters eager for their side to progress to the last four and move to within touching distance of the Wembley final.
An added bonus of £8,000 prize money was also on offer to the victors and although the bookies odds were in favour of The Shots, everyone connected with TFC was hopeful of a good display and an upset with ex-Lambs Dave Robinson, Andy Maddocks and Dave Norton all taking a spot in the main stand to see how their former club got on.

Gary Mills, unable to field Colin Marrison and Martin Foster was also without Dominic Langdon (hamstring) and was set to welcome back Dave Bampton from injury but the Lambs midfielder broke down in pre-match training meaning Marcus Ebdon stepped up off the bench and Chris Waldrum came in to complete the substitutes.

The game started at speed with both sides looking to push forward from the first whistle.
Chris Nurse won the first corner of the game on 7 with a blocked header but Gareth Sheldon’s corner was over enthusiastic and sailed out of play.
Des Lyttle's shot was sliced away following a fair amount of Lambs pressure in the box on 9 and Nick Wright was unable to control the ball from Jamie Reed as it ran through on 10.
Nurse was penalised for a push on Lewis Chalmers on 13 giving The Shots a free kick but Craig McAughtrie was more than equal to Ben Harding’s dead ball and Tamworth cleared the danger.
Tamworth were working very hard to deny their visitors any kind of opening and Reed persistence won them another corner on 23 which came to nothing, but Jonti Richter’s low ball was almost turned in by Nick Wright but he was beaten to it by Harding and Nikki Bull had to be quick to push it around his post and out for another corner.
A back header by Rhys Day almost caught out Bull with an awkward bounce on 26 but then Aldershot exerted some pressure of their own, winning a freekick down by the tea hut corner of the ground on 29 when McAughtrie was adjudged to have felled Joel Grant. Harding’s strong shot was tipped onto the bar by Alex Cisak but the resultant corner came to nothing.
Kirk Hudson ended a fine counterattacking move by Aldershot with a right footed strike inches past the far upright on 36 and on 38 Hylton flashed a shot across the face of goal from the right of the area.
Adie Smith picked up the first card of the game on 42, bringing down John Grant in the process and the Aldershot striker required a stretcher to leave the field with his left leg heavily protected.
The injury caused 4 minutes of added time at the end of the first period and following tussle between Nurse and Geir, both players entered the referee’s notebook.

HT: 0-0

Harding tried his luck with an early shot which cleared the fence at the Meadow St. end, while Tamworth forced a corner through Reed and Nurse’s header struck the top of the bar.
Richter’s cross from the right was headed behind under pressure from Sheldon, but the Lambs midfielder was penalised for a push on Gier, as Ebdon had been done earlier when it looked like ‘Taff’ had won his header cleanly.
Rhys Day miscued a shot from a corner and Joel Grant struck low on 62 but Cisak was equal to the effort before former Tamworth player Louie Soares took to the park.
A foul on Reed on 65 allowed Lyttle to fire the ball into the danger area but nothing came of the chance, and on 70 sub Jake Sheridan whipped the ball into the path of Wright, but the Lambs front man was unable to get a shot away and despite seemingly being bustled to the ground in the process nothing was given.
Sheridan equalises

But on 81 the visitors took the lead when David Winfield headed home a corner (1-0) however Tamworth raced to the other end and the persistence of Reed at the by-line cut the ball back into the path of Sheridan who diverted the ball into an almost open goal mouth. (1-1)
Reed ran through on 84 but was denied once again as he shaped to shoot but this time won a corner which was headed clear.
Winfield ended a spell of Shots pressure on 89 with a shot high over the bar as three minutes added was shown by the fourth official.
Williams cut into the box and tried a shot from the left of the area but missed the target after a flick on from Sheldon set him free but it was Aldershot who had the final word when Kirk Hudson curled a right footed effort into the far corner to win his side a place in the last four.

Cisak, Lyttle, Smith, Briscoe, McAughtrie, Ebdon, Richter (Sheridan 64), Nurse, Reed, Wright (Williams 73), Sheldon
Subs: Law, Waldrum, Elliot Jones (GK)

Aldershot Town:
Bull, Straker, Day, Chalmers, Grant John (Elvins 45), Hlyton (Soares 63), Hudson, Winfield, Harding (Davies 56), Gier, Grant Joel
Subs: Charles, Jamiez-Ruiz

Yellow Cards: Smith 41, Gier 45, Nurse 45
Red Cards:

Referee: Mr. David Richard (Halifax)

Att: 1204

Chicago MOM: chosen by match sponsors: Polesworth Garage, Interlink Express and Marcol Ltd:
Chris Nurse and Jamie Reed

50/50 winners: Cash: 4613, Cinema 4750, 4805, McDonalds vouchers 4649

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures