Search results to follow...

Lambs win again!

FT: Tamworth 2    1 Hyde FC

26 January 2008

Lambs boss Gary Mills, on the back of two wins against Blyth and two clean sheets fielded the same starting eleven for the visit of 6th placed Hyde United and Adie Smith, after a full run out in the reserves in midweek, claimed a spot on the bench.
Hopes were high that after defeating United twice already this season – once in the league and once in the Setanta Shield - Tamworth would continue their unbeaten run.

With the Lamb resonating to the sound of fans rattles and cheers Tamworth kicked off towards the Castle End and won a corner after just 25 seconds. Sheldon’s flag kick came out to Martin Foster and although Jamie Reed got a boot onto it to divert it toward goal his effort was deflected over.
The Lambs continued to press Hyde back into their own half and on 7 Sheldon forced the third corner of the game from a left wing cross but nothing came from the dead ball.
Sheldon’s left wing prowess forced another corner on 10 which Gareth Evans connected with past the far post but drove high and wide.
Mattthew Tipton flashed a shot across the face of Alex Cisak’s goal on 13 and Gareth Seddon crossed long a minute later as Hyde pushed forward.
Dave Bampton headed a United corner clear on 16 and Jonti Richter was forced to clear his lines shortly after although the threat was more in numbers than football.
Good work by Reed won a corner on 19 and Richter eventually received the ball on the edge of the area but half volleyed wide.
Reed spun on a ball in to the area from Richter on 25 but was denied by Dooston and although the corner was long, Sheldon forced another on the other side. Unfortunately, Des Lyttle cleared the bar with his long range shot when the ball came out of the area from the flag kick.
Scramble in the areaThe Lambs took the lead on 32 as Jamie Reed bagged his first for the club, turning the ball home from close range after a long throw was flicked on into the danger area (1-0)
On 35 Seddon picked up a booking when Dominic Langdon dropped to the floor in the area as the Hyde forward ran past him and after consultation with his assistant, Mr Cook showed a yellow card to the disdain of the home faithful.
There was a break in play shortly after when Lyttle required treatment but he was able to continue, however from a throw in while he was off the pitch a deflection almost took the ball in at the far post. David Morley struck the bar from close range from the resultant corner and as the Lambs broke from the required clearance a crunching tackle on Reed by Lynch in front of the ‘Shed’ saw Chris Lynch’s name go in the book.
Play switched to the opposite side of the field from the freekick and Richter crossed from the right only for his shot to skim the top of the bar and go out of play unhindered.
Reed could not continue, holding his back following the clash a few minutes earlier, forcing Mills to make an early substitution bringing Nick Wright into play and partner Colin Marrison up front.
Four minutes added time was shown at the end of the first half and Cisak made a good stop at his near post from Matthew Tipton’s freekick as Tamworth headed fir the dressing room on top.

HT: 1-0

Marrison celebratesAdie Smith came into the fray at right back for the second half replacing Lyttle but it was the Lambs forward line that were in action first on 50 minutes with Marrison firing Wright’s through ball into the far corner past a helpless Dootson. (2-0)
Michael Briscoe took a Steve Pickford piledriver straight in the face on the hour mark as United tried to get something back from the game and they won a penalty on 61 when Seddon was tripped and fell in the area. The same player picked himself up and drove the spot kick straight down the middle to reduce the arrears on 62. (2-1)
After a period of Hyde possession Colin Marrison struck the bar on 70 after setting himself up with a deft flick over the last defender. However his lob over the advancing keeper clipped the woodwork and was cleared as the Lamb rose to its feet and applauded the move nonetheless.
As both sides searched for a goal the play swung, albeit slowly, from end to end and on 79 Marrison tried a chip when advancing on the area which narrowly missed the target and Seddon’s celebrations were cut short when he was denied by the offside flag with 9 minute remaining after firing home from close range.
Hyde pressed in the final few minutes but Tamworth held strong with a clearance in the area and a Cisak tip over the bar in added time from a Bampton back header.

Tamworth FC
Cisak, Lyttle (Smith HT), Langdon, Briscoe, Evans, Bampton, Richter, Foster, Marrison, Reed (Wright 44), Sheldon
Subs: Williams, Nurse, Sheridan

Hyde United:
Dootson, Lynch, Warner (Harrison 81), Morley, Band, Cartwright, Bushell (Wharton 74), Pickford, Tipton, Seddon, Clee
Subs: Rick, Tolson, Innes

Yellow Cards: Seddon 35, Lynch 38

Referee: Mr. Stephen Cook
Att: 1189

Chicago MOM: chosen by match sponsors: Interlink Express and the representatives from the local charities:
Colin Marrison and Jonti Richter

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures