Search results to follow...

Two goals, and one sent off a piece at Bower Fold

FT: Stalybridge Celtic 0    2 Tamworth

24 November 2007

After making their first ever trip to Bower Fold at the start of October Tamworth found themselves back facing Steve Burr’s side in the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy less than six weeks later. Last time around the two sides drew 0-0 in an enjoyable but ultimately goalless league tie while this time, ongoing injuries prevented Craig McAughtrie and Jose Veiga from being named in the squad while Adie Smith was rested with a probable view that the league is more important for the Lambs captain to return in.

Graeme Law came in for his first game of the season for Dominic Langdon who sat out on the bench, while Matt Williams, recovering from a sore throat was replaced by Gareth Sheldon in the two starting eleven changes from last Saturday’s defeat at top of the table Harrogate Town.
Nurse shapes to score
Tamworth started the game kicking down the Fold towards the Joe Jackson stand populated by a large number of Lambs fans who made the journey to Cheshire.
And the fine but ‘very wet’ rain, that had stopped about an hour before kick off leaving the pitch slippy and the ball hard to control, started almost immediately after The Lambs took a third minute lead through Chris Nurse.
When Nick Wright and Celtic ‘keeper Paddy Gamble went for the same ball on the edge of the area and it popped out invitingly for Nurse, the Lambs midfielder made no mistake with a 20 yard lob into the far corner to give his side the lead (1-0)
Dave Bampton was told to leave the field by the referee on 14 with a cut which required treatment, leaving Tamworth a man short for a minute or two, but was soon back in the ensuing midfield battle.
Sheldon gets treatmentSheldon then became the next casualty and it took the loud shouts from the main stand to draw referee Mr Green’s attention to the blood pouring from The Lambs wingman’s head on 18.
From Stalybridge’s first real attack of the game on 20, Philip Palethorpe produced a finger tip save from Lee Ellington to push his low curling shot around the post.
Dave Bampton went close with a rising effort from a Lambs corner on 22 and Richter shot wide from another corner a minute later
Bampton was fouled be James Dean on 23 which saw Dean pick up a yellow card, and Nurse’s deflected shot inside the area which came from the freekick brought shouts of handball but Mr Green waved them away.
Michael Briscoe denied Dean and conceded a corner on 26 which Jonti Richter cleared after Palethorpe had parried while on 29 a good run from Nurse set up Wright with a right footed low shot from the edge of the area which Gamble was equal to.
Palethorpe was also equal to a final strike from Barrie Keeling on 32 which came from a half cleared ball into the area as the home side looked for a way back into the tie before half time - which almost came on 35 via an Ashley Wynn header that went just wide of the far post.
Decisions seemed not to be going Tamworth’s way when a Briscoe header off a home defender was given as a goal kick on 36 and a very dubious offside on 40 denied Robinson a shot on target after good play from Wright and Nurse.
A tackle from behind on Bampton by Ashley Wynn brought a great deal of unrest to proceedings on 46, and a red card for Wynn leaving Celtic a man short for the second half and when Keeling was adjudged to have brought Bampton down in full flight on the half way line he also picked up a booking

HT: 1-0

Despite the numerical disadvantage the home side still managed to test Palethorpe after the break, albeit from distance and on 54 Nurse conceded a foul and received a booking for a foul on Alex Meecham. Celtic won a corner from the freekick but Steve Payne was unable to keep his volley under control.
Jonti Richter was only just unable to direct his flying header on target on 58 from Sheldon’s left wing cross and cleared the bar by a few inches.
Then on the hour, Anthony Robinson headed home Matt Williams flick on to make it 2-0, but Palethorpe did very well to deny substitute Carlos Roca as the striker ran through on goal.
A case of handbags and fisticuffs started on 65 when Robinson tangled with Matty Barlow, but Nurse got involved and received a second yellow to leave both sides with ten men for the remaining 25 minutes.
Terry Barwick forced a fine stop from Palethorpe on 71 who then denied Barlow from the rebound and saved his defence’s blushes with at least two more stops as the home side kept up the pressure.
A thumping freekick which found it’s way through the wall from Roca on 76 was batted away by Palethorpe and the substitute appealed for a penalty a minute later, but none was given.
Fas congratulate the Lambs playersRobinson thought he had bagged his second of the afternoon on 82 only to watch his flick go over the bar from about four feet out after good build up play from Sheldon and Bampton fed the Lambs striker
At the other end, Roca directed his header from a left wing cross wide of the far post on 85 and Palethorpe denied both Roca’s header and the follow up on 88 with another excellent display of goalkeeping.
Robinson crossed for Sheldon to unload both barrels at Gamble on 90 but the home ‘keeper was equal to the ‘hotshot’.
Meechan lifted the ball over the bar from close range in stoppage time after getting around the last Lambs defender in the final action of an otherwise feisty game!

FT: 2-0

Palethorpe, Lyttle, Law, Briscoe, Bains, Bampton, Richter (Ebdon 63), Nurse, Robinson (Leonard 90), Wright (Williams 55), Sheldon
Subs: Langdon, Ebdon, Sheridan,

Stalybridge Celtic
Gamble, Barwick, Garner (Haran HT), Keeling, Sykes, Ellington (Roca 61), Winn, Dean (Hall 58), Barlow, Meechan
Subs: Dudgeon, Pearson

Yellow Cards: Dean 23, Keeling 45, Nurse 54, Bampton 57, Nurse 65 (second booking), Hall 65, Sheldon 73
Red Cards: Wynn 45

Referee: Mr. R.C. Green (Chorley)
Att: TBA

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures