Search results to follow...

Lambs fail to impress in derby game

FT: Tamworth 1    2

10 November 2007

Gary Mills made two changes to the side that drew 2-2 with Southport as The Lambs welcomed local rivals Nuneaton Borough for the first league game between the two sides since both were in the Southern Premier League.
Dave Bampton was ruled out through injury, while Rikki Bains sat out on the bench with Nick Wright and Micky Tuohy taking their places in the starting eleven.
For Nuneaton, ex-Lambs custodian Darren Acton lined up and an ‘old face’ in former TFC manager Ron Bradbury now plying his footballing back room skills with the Warwickshire side.

All smiles before kick offYou can always tell when the winter months are starting to rear their head, when floodlights are needed at kick off on a Saturday afternoon, and it was The Lambs who started brightest moving the ball around well and penning Nuneaton back into the Castle End of the ground only to finally be thwarted by an offside flag on 2.
Andy Brown got a close range header at Jose Veiga on 3 after The Lambs defence failed to clear and Nuneaton enjoyed a spell of possession.
After a period of midfield battling, Tamworth won a corner on 10 from Gareth Sheldon’s low cross. And from Sheldon’s corner Michael Briscoe headed goalward only for Boro captain Tom Curtis to head the effort of the line then a deflected effort off the Boro defence almost beat Acton on 12 but looped over the bar by inches.
On 15 Jordan Stephien side footed home from 6 yards after shocking defending from Tamworth allowed him time to fire low past Veiga. In the run up, Tamworth had appealed for the ball going out of play for a throw, but nothing was given and Nuneaton capitalised with a left wing cross into the danger area which was not dealt with. (0-1)
Nuneaton kept up the pressure after the opening goal and won a couple of corners which Tamworth cleared effectively but the visitors continued to force errors from the home side in midfield.
Matt Williams won a freekick on the right wing on 24 which Sheldon which drew Acton into a two fisted punch away from the box and when Anthony Robinson squared the ball in the area for Williams the Lambs leading scorer got a shot away but it took a deflection and went harmlessly back to Acton.
A spell of Lambs pressure ended when Des Lyttle chipped the ball forward for Robinson only to find himself off side on 27.
The pace of the game at times was furious and none more so than when Matty Collins burst down the left wing on the half hour mark for Boro only to screw his shot away from goal to the opposite wing. Connor Franklin received his wayward effort and sent a teasing ball back into the box which Adie Smith headed behind for a corner which Nuneaton then wasted.
Nuneaton failed to make another flag kick count on 35 and Tamworth broke, winning a freekick for handball midway inside the visitors half, but Sheldon’s kick was easily hoofed away and from it Nuneaton won yet another corner.
But from it, a move which started with Veiga leaving his area by 15 yards to send the ball down field and after at least half a dozen attempts at goal from various Lambs players, Sheldon curled the final effort just inches wide of the far upright on 37.
The Lambs won a corner themselves on 39 and although the flag kick didn’t produce a shot, Gavin Cowan almost put a high ball into the area past Acton who batted the ball clear only for Tuohy to see his follow up shot headed away by Curtis.
Was it a penalty?Robinson was sent flying after putting the ball past Moore in the area on 41 but the referee waved play on and Moore escaped a second yellow of the afternoon despite a stiff talking to from the man in the middle for arguing after the event - much to the displeasure of the home faithful.
There was some late Lambs pressure at the end of the first half including a Sheldon freekick from the right wing, but the whistle blew with Boro holding the upperhand.

HT: 0-1

Intermittent sheets of rain covered the Lambs as the second half got underway and Tamworth came out looking for a quick way back and despite trying hard to find a way through failed to apply the touch to the final ball.
Then on 58 Nuneaton extended their lead when Stephien fed Andy Brown with an inch perfect pass between three Lambs defenders. Brown pushed forward and rifled home from the edge of the area to make it 0-2.
Gary Mills made his first change of the afternoon shortly after, bringing Jonathon Richter on for Nick Wright then from a cross on the right from Lyttle Connor Franklin put the ball past his Acton to set up a tense final 25 minutes (1-2).
Richter sent a teasing ball into the area on 63 that just skimmed the head of Williams and Ben Leonard took the place of Tuohy shortly after.
A foul on Nurse 35 yards out centre of goal on 69 gave Briscoe a shooting chance but he hit the wall square on and Nuneaton gathered speed going forward from the rebound but couldn’t create a chance.
Dominic Langdon tried a long range strike at Acton on 72 and cleared the crossbar by about a foot from 25 yards, and on 74 Travis hit a low shot from a similar distance straight in to the arms of Veiga.
Nuneaton won a corner on 75 following an error from Veiga, but Briscoe headed clear and Tamworth tried to break but were halted by the referee’s whistle following a foul in the final third.
Acton was booked for time wasting from his goal kick on 79 and Cowan went into Mr Bennett’s note book a minute later for a hefty foul on Williams.
A flag kick fell to Tamworth on 82 but was headed clear and from the return ball in from Richter, Nurse misdirected his header wide of the mark.
The clock was ticking down quickly for Tamworth and chances were not coming their way but four minutes added time was shown to give them some hope of salvaging a point.
But Acton was more than equal to the final move of the game and the honours travelled down the A5.

Veiga, Lyttle, Langdon, Briscoe, Smith, Tuohy (Leonard 64), Wright (Richter 61), Nurse, Robinson (Sheridan 77), Williams M, Sheldon
Subs: Bains, Ebdon

Nuneaton Borough:
Acton, Travis, Franklin, Curtis, Moore, Cowan, Collins, Pritchard (Palmer 90), Brown (Qauliey 83), Stepien, McIlwain
Subs: Williams D, Oddy, Burgess

Yellow Cards: Moore 28, Robinson 33, Leonard 74, Acton 79, Cowan 80, Pritchard 85, Sheridan 90
Red Cards:

Referee: Mr S. Bennett (Kidsgrove)
Att: 1305

MOM: As sponsored by match sponsors Interlink Express, BT Felton and Sons and J. Clarke Transport:
Dominic Langdon & Michael Briscoe

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures
Casino Bonos
Best online casinos Canada - Casino Pilot