Search results to follow...

Mills gives Lambs a last gasp share of the spoils

FT: Tamworth 2    2 Gainsborough Trinity

20 October 2007

Lambs boss Gary Mills made three changes to the side that beat King’s Lynn in the FA Cup last weekend – New signing Nick Wright came straight into the side for Anthony Robinson, Harry Donaghey was handed his first league start of the season and Craig McAughtrie came back from injury.
Gainsborough came to The Lamb with a poor away record of just one point in six games on the road so far.

Tamworth started the game on top with early pressure towards the Castle End of the ground and Wright had the first real chance running onto a through ball from Adie Smith, but shot straight at Aaron Reid from the right of the area on 3.
But on 6 Trinity came forward and Liam Needham received the ball on the edge of the area only to screw his shot wide of the far post.
A cool right wing cross from Wright won Tamworth their first corner on 8 but it was wasted but a minute or so later Matt Williams tried an audacious overhead kick after the visiting defence failed to deal with a high bounce in the area. Unfortunately for Williams, his effort cleared the bar by some distance.
Gareth Sheldon then unleashed a right footed drive from 25 yards which flew low past the right hand upright on 13
Wes Pager put a telling tackle in to deny a jinking run into the box from Williams on 18 and at the other end Needham blasted a shot over the bar on 21.
McAughtrie required treatment on a knock on his ankle on 23 and while the tall Matt Williamscentral defender was off the pitch Gainsborough tried to exert some pressure but Tamworth countered, and when Williams was felled by Micky Ellis as he turned to shoot he won a penalty, which he stepped up to take himself and fired home to give The Lambs the lead on 24. (1-0)
McAughtrie couldn’t continue and Tamworth were forced into an early change of personnel, bringing Gary Mills into the fray with Adie Smith dropping into the back four.
Then on 34 Adie Smith misdirected a header into his own net to equalize for the visitors after Jamie Smith had floated a cross into the danger area from the left. (1-1)
The equalizer gave the visitors some confidence and the pushed Tamworth back into their own half and won a corner on 40 which Pager struck at the Lambs defence.
Williams missed Sheldon’s left wing cross into the six yard box by inches on 41 and won a corner when the Gainsborough defence put it out past the far post. Michael Briscoe’s header was cleared off the line by Pager for another corner but it came to nothing.
Another Lambs flag kick came on 45 from Sheldon’s cross and although Briscoe headed the corner towards goal it was easily hoofed away by the visitors.
Nurse and Wright combined to set up a half chance at the end of the first period, but Trinity managed to get a boot to the ball as it looked to be falling for Williams.

HT: 1-1

Tamworth started the second half brightly and won a corner on 48 which Reid punched clear and from a throw from the right Des Lyttle crossed to the far post for Wright but he couldn’t get his header, under pressure, on target.
A long ball into the box on 50 saw Needham get a looping header towards goal, but Gary Mills saved Jose Veiga’s blushes and cleared the danger.
The Lambs were given a wake up call when a snap shot on the turn from Paul Clayton rebounded of the base of the upright on 56 and was cleared
Jamie Smith set McMahon up with a chip shot on the hour mark, but it looped and curled harmlessly past the post.
However, on 62 Danny Anson received and spun on the ball in the area to fire his side in the lead. (1-2)
Substitute Anthony Robinson got a shot at Reid on 66 but the Gainsborough keeper was equal to his low effort.
Dave Bampton was the first to get his name into the referees notebook on 69 following a solid challenge in the middle of the park.
Wright ended his first game back at Tamworth with 15 remaining as boss Gary Mills brought on some fresh legs on the right wing in Jake Sheridan.
With the minutes ticking away chances were at a premium for both sides although The Lambs were perhaps shading it on possession and won a corner on 84 but couldn’t create anything from the flag kick.
Mills is congratulated on his last minute equaliserSheridan had a hopeful shot from the left of the box blocked a minute later.
Sheldon’s freekick brought another corner on 89 but the visiting defence cleared as two minutes added time was shown for The Lambs to get something from the game and it came via Gary Mills who fired home a 35 yard long range shot low into the far corner to equalize (2-2).
Gainsborough then won a corner with seconds left on the clock but a foul on Veiga stopped play at the ball fell into the box.

FT 2-2

Veiga, Lyttle, Donaghey, Briscoe, McAughtrie (Mills 26), Smith, Nurse (Robinson 63), Bampton, Wright (Sheridan 74), Williams, Sheldon
Subs: Leonard, Bains

Gainsborough Trinity
Reid, Pager, Drewery, Ellis, Pell, Anson, Hall, McMahon, Clayton, Smith (Mallen 75), Needham
Subs: Steadman, Forbes-Swindells, Sollitt, Wiggins-Thomas

Yellow Cards: Bampton 69
Red Cards:

Referee: Mr P. Grove (Stourbridge)

Att: TBA

MOM: As sponsored by match sponsors Cogsdill – Nuneaton: Matt Williams

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures