Search results to follow...

Two missed Lambs penalties prove costly

FT: Tamworth 0    0 Barrow

15 September 2007

Gary Mills handed debuts to new signings Craig McAughtrie and Chris Nurse in a side featuring no less than seven changes to the eleven that started against Worcester City the previous Saturday. Jose Viega returned from international duty, Anthony Robinson took a spot up front having completed his suspension and Adie Smith returned from injury.

It was Barrow’s first ever visit to The Lamb and they sat just two points ahead of Tamworth going into the game.

Rikki Bains slotted into the left back position and Craig McAughtrie made his presence immediately known, getting up field when The Lambs attacked and struck a shot high over the bar in the 3rd minute.
Barrow’s Nick Rogan then moved down the right wing but his attempted cross from near the bi-line was off target.
Gareth Sheldon broke from a Barrow free-kick on 7 only to hit his shot from distance low and straight at Tim Deasy in the visitors goal.
Nurse sent in a teasing cross from a good run on the right wing on 11 but it was cut out by the home defence and The Lambs first corner came on 12 which Sheldon floated onto the head of McAughtrie but his headed went over the bar.
Nurse wins a penalty for his new clubThe Lambs were awarded a penalty on 13 when Robinson sent an inch perfect ball to the far post from the left of the area and Nurse’s header was handled by Lee Woodyatt as it went towards goal. Sheldon stepped up but his spot kick lacked power and Deasy dived to his left preventing the goal.
Then the Lambs got another penalty on 23 when first Dave Bampton was caught in the head by a boot as Robinson’s cross came in from the right and then Nurse was felled when the ball ran free. This time Tony Thorpe stepped up but Deasy dived the opposite way and denied The Lambs an opening goal for a second time.
Bampton went off to receive treatment and left Tamworth a man short for a couple of minutes, before Matt Williams came on 26.
There was no doubt who was in charge on the field but McAughtrie glanced a header well wide from Sheldon’s corner on 27.
Sheldon struck another corner onto the head of McAughtrie on 31 but his effort was headed away at the near post by the Barrow defence and another corner came on 32 and Michael Briscoe’s right footed shot from the edge of the area was deflected out for another flag kick. From the dead ball, Briscoe headed the wrong side of the post as he found space at the back of the pack.
On 37 Robinson turned his marker on the left of the area and got a low shot away but Deasy was more than equal to the effort.
There was no lack of commitment or passion from the Lambs side, but the visiting defence were doing everything they could to stop Tamworth coming forward and as half time drew near Nurse and Robinson combined well but the latter’s first touch prevented a goal scoring opportunity.

HT: 0-0

Tamworth came out looking to take an early lead, but when Adie Smith’s pass went awry on the edge of the visitor’s area Barrow broke to the other end and substitute Kyle Wilson screwed a shot wide of the mark under pressure.
A tough challenge involving Williams on 52 gave Barrow a free kick which Peter Thomson took from 25 yards out and his powerdriver cannoned back off the Lambs wall.
Deasy denied Thorpe’s chipped shot with a good body block on 9 after The Lambs forward line found space through the Barrow back line and a Sheldon cross from the left wing was missed by Thorpe’s outstretched boot and a corner was forthcoming, but Briscoe’s header went wide form the flag kick.
Lyttle tried a cheeky floated shot to the far post on 59 but Deasy watched it out, just inches wide.
Criag Mcaughtrie in actionAn almost perfect ball to the far post from the left wing by Sheldon was met well enough by Thorpe but he could not direct his effort towards the target on 61.
And Wilson then struck a good effort goalward from the right of the area on 62 only to be denied by Veiga thanks to a superb full stretching diving save to his left.
After a period of play where both sides struggled to put any meaningful moves together, Barrow won a corner on 74 and Andy Bond eventually found space to try a shot from 25 yards which he struck straight into Veiga’s arms.
Williams hit a hopeful effort at Deasy on 80 before Carl Heggs came on for Robinson but chances were proving to be hard to come by for both sides.
In time added on The Lambs won a corner but could not make it count despite Sheldon putting the ball into the area and Mills’ side were left to rue their missed penalties in the first half...

FT: 0-0

Veiga, Lyttle, Bains, Briscoe, McAughtrie, Bampton (Williams 26), Nurse, Smith, Robinson (Heggs 80), Thorpe (Sheridan 68), Sheldon
Subs: Tuohy, Ebdon

Barrow AFC
Deasy, Woodyatt, Elderton, Bayliss, McNulty, Henney, Bond, Jones, Thomson (Walker 56), Rogan (Hoolickin 77), Thompson (Wilson 39)
Subs: Fowler, BrownMOM for Mcaughgtrie

Yellow Cards: Woodyatt 14, Walker 82

Referee: Mr Dowd (South Wirral)

MOM: Chosen by match sponsors Hanson Building Products and Interlink Express:
Gareth Sheldon and Craig McAughtrie

Att: 805

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures