Search results to follow...

Late Sheldon strike just a consolation as Lambs fall at The Valley

FT: Redditch United 3    1 Tamworth

14 August 2007

Tamworth made the short journey to The Valley to face Redditch United on Tuesday night for their second league fixture of the new season.

Gary Mills’ side were looking to build on their victory against Burscough on Saturday, whilst Redditch had lost 2-0 to Vauxhall Motors (who lost 6-3 to Tamworth’s next opponents Hyde, on Monday night) in their opening fixture.

The Lambs were unchanged in the starting eleven, with only one change on the bench – Micky Tuohy making way for Harry Donaghey.

Despite the intermittent bursts of light but persistent rain making the playing surface slippy both sides started the game well, moving the ball around.
Redditch threatened from a couple of long throws and Tamworth tried to break through Adie Smith and Gareth Sheldon.
The home side won the first corner on 6 which Graham Deakin took and eventually worked back for Howard Forniton but he was puut under pressure and his tame shot was easy for Dave Clarke.
Richard Ball tried a shot on the turn from the edge of the area on 9 but his effort was watched wide by Clarke.
Redditch won a freekick on the right, 25 yards out and a deflection of the Lambs defence as it squeezed through took it behind for another corner but Clarke collected.
Sheldon and Tony Thorpe played a neat one two between them on 19 but Sheldon’s final touch took the ball back to Danny Lewis in the home goal.
Redditch then won a freekick on the right and Danny Edwards strike found the head of Exodus Geoghaghon, using his height to the fullest advantage, and hit the back of the net to leave the Lambs trailing 1-0 after 20 minutes.
The Lambs looked to get back into the game quickly but Redditch put men behind the ball and cleared the immediate danger as Storer struck for goal from the edge of the area only to see it come back off one of the seven home players in the box.
Richard Ball snuck through the Lambs defence on 24 but could not keep the ball in play and United won another freekick on 25 from the same place the opening goal had come from but this time Clarke punched clear.
Tamworth pushed hard to get a goal back with Adie Smith doing his best to marshall things from midfield. Twice he pushed balls through to Anthony Robinson and Thorpe, but twice the United defence got there just in the nick of time.
United won a freekick on 32 which Deakin chipped into the area and Ball turned and shot into the net to make it 2-0 to the homeside.
The Lambs won a corner on 34 in a bid to get something back and Sheldon’s kick had to be pushed out of the goal by Lewis and Kyle Storer couldn’t capitalise on the loose ball as it came out quickly in his direction.

HT: 0-2

Robinson almost stole in to pull one back immediately from the restart but Lewis touched the ball out for a corner and when the ball was driven back into the danger area Lewis cleared off the line.
And just as it looked like The Lambs would start a comeback Redditch broke to the other end and Forinton squared for Edwards to slot home unmarked from 8 yards to make it 3-0.
Gary Mills made a double substitution on 52 bringing ex-United man Heggs and Dave Bampton on and four minutes later Matt Williams replaced Thorpe.
Adie Smith won a corner and from it Sheldon forced another on 58 but Bampton’s flick was cleared, only for Sheldon to win a freekick which Langdon met with a shot that was blocked by the back four.
Another Lambs corner came on 61 but the height of Geogahon cleared Sheldon’s flag kick from the danger area..
Adie Smith tried a shot from distance on 72 but struck wide of the mark while on 77 Dave Clarke had to sprint out of his area to deny Ball a gilt edged chance as the ball bounced past a static back line and Ball bore down. Clarke got to the ball first 35 yards from his goal line, and cleared what would have probably resulted in a fourth for Redditch.
Tamworth won a freekick 10 yards into the Redditch half on 83, but Adie Smith could not control his overhead effort inside the area and fired high and wide of the mark.
Carl Heggs picked up the sixth booking of the match on 86 in what was not really a ‘dirty’ game much to the amusement of the home fans and United’s man of the match Geohagon conceded a corner shortly after but it was cleared for a Lambs throw which Bampton sweept wide of the mark from the right.
5 minutes added time gave the travelling fans slim hope of a last ditch fightback and Sheldon did eventually get one back on 90+5 to make it 3-1 slamming home from close range with a right foot half volley.

FT: 1-3

Clarke, Lyttle, Landgon, Briscoe, Bains, Mills, Storer (Bampton 52), Smith, Robinson (Heggs 52), Thorpe (Williams 56), Sheldon
Subs: Edwards, Donaghey

Redditch United
Lewis, Clarke M (Walker 70), Taylor, Rea, Geoghagon, Deakin, Cowley (Murphy 82), Downes, Ball, Edwards D, Foriton (Softley 75)
Subs: Johnson, Whitcombe

Yellow Cards: Geohagon 29, Cowley 36, Taylor 38, Bains 51, Briscoe 81, Heggs 86, Langdon 90

Referee: Mr S.M. Hutchinson (Bingham, Notts)

Att: 561

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures