Search results to follow...

Single goal means defeat for The Lambs

FT: Tamworth 0    1 Northwich Victoria

03 April 2007

Tamworth welcomed Northwich Victoria to The Lamb but and Gary Mills made three changes to the side that lost to Dagenham. Adie Smith sat out the first of a two game ban and Emmet Friars was rested along with while Taiwo Atieno after picking up a knock at the weekend. In came Matt Williams – back from injury and there was a home debut for Coventry City defender Ryan Lynch.
The Lambs started the game in the drop zone just one point behind The Vics in Mills’ squads on going quest for Conference survival.

The game started quickly with both sides obviously fired up for task in hand.
John McGrath saw his early run towards the box halted by the visiting defence and Jake Edwards won a freekick on the left on 5 minutes which John McGrath fired into the box but Matt Williams was forced to take two touches in his attempt to strike for goal and the Vics defence cleared.
Edwards chased a long punt forward by Kyle Storer but Senior was first to the ball and cleared but only as far as Simon Heslop who tried to lob him from 35 yards. Senior recovered to catch the ball back peddling at the post on 9.
Michael Carr sprinted onto a good ball through the heart of the Lambs defence on 15 only to be thwarted by Jose Veiga after a good first touch by the Northwich midfielder
Darryl Taylor was brought down en-route ot goal by Keiran Charnock who escaped a booking and from the free kick, 25 yards on the right McGrath’s deadball deflected off Michael Carr over the bar for a corner. That was deflected away again for a corner on the opposite side on 17 and a defensive header cannoned off Edwards straight into the arms of Senior.
Veiga denied James Dean with a low blocking dive on 20 as the Vics forward burst through and looked odds on to open the scoring
Sustained pressure on the Meadow Street goal came from Tamworth around 22 but Northwich did enough to block shots from Williams and Taylor.
Edwards got a shot away under pressure on 26 but struck wide and high on the turn 8 yards out on the left of the goal and Heslop tried to blast the ball in from the right on 30 but it came off a Vics defender for a corner.
Northwich won a free kick on the right on 31 after a nothing foul by Matt Williams which Mike Byrne fired into the danger area only for The Lambs to clear easily.
There was a lengthy stoppage for treatment to Byrne on 35 after a clash in the air with Edwards and he had to leave the field to receive treatment to what appeared to be a head injury and a new shirt.
Gareth Griffiths escaped a card following a crunching challenge on Heslop on 41 and there was no doubting either side’s commitment.
Taylor fell under a challenge on 43 and could not continue – being replaced by Ludovic Quistin

HT: 0-0

The Lambs started out of the blocks the quickest at the start of the second half and Heslop tried his luck from distance on 46 but screwed his shot well wide of the mark.
Northwich then countered and found a rare gap in the back of the Lambs defence on 50 minutes. Mike Byrne turned his marker on the edge of the area and placed a low shot past Veiga in at the near post to give his side the lead. (0-1)
The visitors won a corner on 55 which Veiga punched out but only as far as a Carr and it looked like his header would make it 2-0 but McGrath raced back to head the ball off the line and away.
Edwards sprinted onto a through ball from Heslop on 58 and was impeded as he strode into the box by Charnock who saw his name taken by the referee. The Lamsb lineup the freekick 5 yards out and although the set piece came to nothing, Quistin won a corner which was cleared.
There was high amusement on 68 when Veiga met his match as a black and white cat sprinted into his box but back in the game Tamworth were struggling to create in the final third of the field.A close call at the clubhouse end
Simon Weaver made a welcome return to the Lambs side on 72 after injury had kept him out and Mills switched the side to three at the back allowing Law and Lynch to move into wing positions.
Edwards forced a corner with a close range shot on the turn on 78 but the ref spotted an infringement and pulled play back.
As The Lambs looked for a way back into the game, on 82 Weaver fed the ball through the back of the Vics defence but McGrath just failed to connect and Senior gathered at his feet.
With a number of stoppages and substitutions in the second half, five minutes added time was shown.
Jon Stevenson hit a tame shot on the half volley on 94 at Senior and Quistin did the same from distance shortly after and Veiga moved into attack in the final seconds but there was no late strike for The Lambs.


Edwards, Williams (Stevenson 56)
McGrath, Storer (Weaver 72), Heslop, Taylor (Quistin 43)

Lynch, Bains, Briscoe, Law

Subs: Bampton, Friars

Northwich Victoria
Towson (Brayson 83), Dead
Smart, Carr, Byrne, Mayman, Battersby
Charnock, Griffiths, Roberts

Subs: Connett, Shaw, Roca, Smith

Yellow Cards: Charnock 58
Red Cards:

Goals: Byrne 50

Referee: Ollie Langford (Darlaston)

Att: 1006

MOM: As chosen by match sponsors: Briers, SR Tomson and Son, Touch FM: Jose Veiga, Jake Edwards and John McGrath

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures