Search results to follow...

Much improved show but Welling hit two in second half to take victory.

FT: Tamworth 1    2 Welling United

30 January 2007

With Gravesend’s Stonebridge Road as the back drop for their FA Trophy 2nd round replay, Gary Mills and Darron Gee took charge with the prospect of a home tie against Worcester City scheduled on Saturday afternoon for the winners.
Only four subs could be realistically named due to injury with Adie Smith and Jamie Price coming into the side from Saturday’s defeat against Crawley at the expense of an injured John McGrath and Ryan Laight.

The sun crashes on Stonebridge Road on Tuesday nightTamworth kicked off, but within 30 seconds Welling had broken through the defence and Che Stadhart should have done better with a right footed shot which cleared Jose Veiga’s bar from inside the area.
A right wing cross from Stadhart was met with a deft touch from Steve Harper on 5 inside the area and Veiga, once again, had to produce the goods to deny the ‘home side’ an opener.
United won a corner on 6 when Graeme Law cut out another right wing cross from The Wings who had exposed the Lambs defence.
Tamworth enjoyed a spell of possession after that but Welling soon came back at them with Steve Perkins firing over the bar from 15 yards following another corner on 12.
Simon Weaver cleared with a boot away from the danger area after another mazy run from Stadhart saw him cross low in from the right and then the first real shot at goal for Tamworth came via Edwards.
However, Welling once again cut through the Lambs left defensive frailties to force another corner on 18 only for Perkins to head over the flag kick.
Persistence from Jon Stevenson won his side a free kick on 19 allowing Jamie Price a free strike at goal from 30 yards and his terrific shot cannoned back of the bar and was cleared to safety.
On 20 an obviously disappointed Tom Kemp then had to be swapped for Ryan Laight, the youngster struggling with a muscle pull in his leg.
Tamworth immediately pushed forward again, forcing a corner kick on 21 and Taiwo Atieno brought an easy save out of Mark Goodfellow after cutting inside the last defender past the far post.
Harper should have put his side ahead on 30 when Veiga mis-punched a high ball (under ‘pressure’ from his own defence) and it screwed down to his feet 6 yards out on the left of the goal but thankfully for Mills and Gee, who hadn’t stopped shouting instructions and encouragement to their players all half, the Welling forward missed the target with a few yards to spare. And Harper missed again on 33 with a curling right footed effort after good build up play from Ellis Green.
Adie Smith dropped like a stone and had to receive treatment following an elbow in the face from Danny Kedwell on 37 but the Welling player escaped any punishment from Mr Scott, the referee. From the free kick and after some decent build up play Stevenson managed to get a shot away but it was always going wide of the mark.
Towards the end of the first half, Tamworth pressed once again but despite prolonged period of possession the forward line lacked that little bit of foresight to second guess where the ball would go ‘if and when’.
All the hard work then paid off in first half stoppage time when Jake Edwards received the ball on the edge of the area, turned and rolled it in at the far post to give Tamworth the lead. (1-0)

Welling came out fighting at the start of the second period and Stadhart headed they best chance of the opening 10 minutes over the bar from a freekick on 53.
A low shot from Edwards from 20 yards did little to trouble Hyde in the home goal on 59 as Tamworth started once again to find their feet and position but still Welling searched for an equalizer and gave as good as they got.
The home side won a disputed corner on 64 but Leon Soloman wasted any chance of a goal by blasting a cross / shot miles off target.
Good movement from Jamie Price gave Edwards a chance of a rifle at goal on 66 but his shot from the left of the area skimmed wide of the far post.
Matt Williams came on for Stevenson, who – along with the rest of the side - looked enthusiastic and committed to the cause, with just under 20 to go and added an element of urgency but also calmness to the midfield / forward line
Then on 76 Welling bagged an equalizer via Jamie Day who shot home from the edge of the area after numerous tackles went in but the last one just didn’t connect and Day had time to shape and shoot.(1-1)
Matt Williams headed against the bar on 79 after excellent close range play from Atieno brought a flapping save from Hyde which Williams followed in only to see his looping effort come back off the woodwork.
And after looking strong for so long The Lambs conceded another on 79 from the head of substitute Andrew Sam to make it 2-1 to Welling. A corner was floated in and Perkins knocked the ball back into the danger area for Sam to nod home through a crowed six yard box.
Four minutes added time saw Welling defend and not allow The Lambs a chance of netting an equalizer so it’s off to York City on Saturday.

Edwards, Atieno
Price, Storer (Burton 87), Heslop, Stevenson (Williams 72)
Law, Kemp (Laight 20), Weaver, Smith

Subs: Belford (4 only)

Welling United:
Hyde, Goodfellow, Soloman, Perkins, Moore, Carthy (Sam 71), Green (Boateng 48), Kedwell, Stadhart, Harper, Day.

Subs: Rowland, Clarke, Homles

Yellow Cards: Storer 81
Red Cards: none

Att: 331

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures