Search results to follow...

Last minute winner from Stevenson sends Lambs to Round 2

FT: Burton Albion 1    2 Tamworth

11 November 2006

Tamworth made the short journey up the A5 and A38 to face local rivals Burton Albion in the first round of the FA Cup, at the Pirelli Stadium.

Lambs' boss Mark Cooper made two enforced changes to the side that had suffered an embarrassing defeat at Southport the previous Saturday – with Gavin McAllum returning to Yeovil and his team mate being recalled despite still being on loan at The Lamb, Ryan Laight and Jon Stevenson came into the side.
In the first half, Tamworth found themselves up against the play, and Andy Ducros hit the bar after just 8 minutes and then shot over the bar from outside the area a few minutes later.
Keith Gilroy saw his shot palmed away by Jose Veiga on 18 and just before the half hour mark, Paul Carden struck only for Veiga to deny again.
As the first half drew to a close, Darryl Clare tried his luck but shot wide of the far post.

HT: 0-0

The second half, after a first half dominated by the home side, swung Tamworth’s way, but it was Clare who opened the scoring for Burton on 50 minutes. Andy Ducros shot at the near post across the face of goal decieved Veiga and Clare converted from three yards out at the far post to give the home side the lead (0-1).
But The Lambs equalized shortly after through a bizarre own goal by the Brewers' ‘keeper Kevin Poole. Poole collected John McGrath’s corner apparently fairly comfortably, but spilled it and it bounced over the line to level the tie. (1-1)
Both sides then threatened to win the game in normal time with Clare shooting wide and Matty Williams firing past the post and over the bar.
The home side then shouted strongly when they were denied a penalty when Keith Gilroy was brought down by Graeme Law. Gilroy picked up a yellow card for his protestations, and Tamworth escaped by conceding a corner for Law’s tackle.
Veiga then denied Burton after good forward play by the home and McGrath did well, but curled his right footed effort wide of the post.
But with just one of the five minutes of stoppage time shown by the fourth official gone, Jon Stevenson struck the Lambs' winning goal.
The ball span off Burton’s Ryan Austin and fell to Stevenson who smashed a right footed curler from 20 yards into the far post and past Poole to secure Tamworth’s place in the second round.


Atieno (Burton 74), Stevenson
Williams, McGrath, Smith, Taylor (Storer 88)
Kendrick, Kemp, Weaver, Laight (Law 66)

Subs: Belford, Cooper

Burton Albion:

Ducros, Clare
Gilroy, Carden, Stride, Fowler (Harrad 90)
Corbett, Austin (Shaw 90), Tinson, Rowett

Subs: Taylor, Brayford, Holmes

Yellow Cards: Austin 24, Smith A 35, Laight 49, Gilroy,
Red Cards: none

Att: 4160

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures