Search results to follow...

Lambs fail to take chances

FT: Stevenage Borough 3    0 Tamworth

14 April 2007

The Lambs made the journey to

Broadhall Way
to face the FA Trophy finalists Stevenage Borough looking to record a much needed victory at a place Tamworth sides had previously failed.
Ludovic Quistin started the first of a three match ban which would rule him out for the rest of the season, while Jon Stevenson was on the injured list after a clattering against St Albans on Bank Holiday Monday.
Boss Gary Mills knew a win was a big task but only three points would do in the Lambs bid to have any hope get out of the relegation places.
He made two changes to the starting eleven from Monday with Michael Tuohy coming in for Emmett Friars who took a place on the bench alongside boss Gary Mills and Simon Heslop coming in for Simon Weaver.

With glorious sunshine beating down an early chance fell to Steve Morison inside the Lambs penalty area after Tamworth failed to clear the danger but the Boro striker hit the side netting from a tight angle.
Jake Edwards then repeated Morison’s shot at the other end after good work from Taiwo Atieno on the right wing brought the ball back into the six yard box.
Michael Briscoe blocked a right footed shot on the turn from Morison on 6 for the game’s first corner which Edwards cleared with a long drive forward.
Tuohy got his boot to a ball great into the box on 11 but failed to beat Julian as his effort whistled past the far post but Stevenage broke to the other end from the resultant goal kick. Mitchell Cole received the ball and burst through the midfield to shot into the far corner from the left of the area to give the home side the lead. (0-1)
Tamworth tried to get back into the game quickly and Atieno’s shot at Julian on 16 was fumbled by the home ‘keeper but the Lambs striker was too far out of goal to capitalise on the ‘keepers mistake.
Stevenage won a corner on 19 following good football from Morison and Adam Miller and although Marcio Gaia hit the bar with his header referee Mr Lewis had already spotted an infringement in the build up.
Jose Veiga denied Mark Beard with a point blank save on 22 as Tuohy moved into a more forward role alongside Edwards and Atieno at the other end.
Edwards almost capitalised on a through ball on 24 but Boro captain Ronnie Henry beat him to the ball as Julian rushed out to clear and took a knock to his left knee.
Edwards forced a good save on 29, out muscling Henry en route to goal but Darryl Taylor was a yard the wrong wide of the all from the rebound and from the corner Tuohy tried his luck only to be foiled by the home defence.
Steve Morison placed a header wide on 32 and the home side won another corner on 35 which Veiga had to tip behind the far post for another flag kick on the opposite side.Morison put the ball in the net from a right wing cross but found himself at the wrong end of the linesman’s flag and the goal was ruled out for offside.
Another corner came for Boro shortly after which Atieno headed behind allowing Dobson another chance to fire the ball into the danger area from the flag but Tamworth cleared their lines.
Tuohy forced a block from Julian on 39 after beating his marker on the right wing before Dobson almost found Morison with a similar ball in at the other end as the home side broke away.
Briscoe found space to head at Julian from a McGrath freekick on 41 only to find the home ‘keeper exactly the right place to collect easily
Hardworking Tuohy was lucky to escape with a yellow card following a hard challenge on Julian on 43 as both rushed out to meet the ball on the right of the area which left the home custodian requiring treatment and brought loud boos from the home faithful when the ref showed the card.
Atieno’s run brought a corner for Tamworth on 45 as two minutes added time was shown.
Adie Smith blocked Cole’s shot from the edge of the area at the end of the first half following Miller’s cross into the danger area just prior to the half time whistleHT: 0-1Tamworth started the seon hrough Miller, Dobson and Morison only for the latter to pass back to Veiga with an easy shot from distanceTaylor struck a low shot wide on 48 from Atieno ’s cut back from the left as Mills enjoyed the rare luxury being able to coach his side from the touchline as he warmed up as a sub.
On 55 The Lambs defence failed to deal with a high ball into the box from the right allowing Boro to take the advantage through Luke Oliver’s close range tap in. (2-0)
Morison shot wide when well placed on 65 and again on 68 and it seemed inevitable that the home side would extend their lead even further but substitute Matt Williams was proving tricky for the Stevenage defence.
Beard struck easily for Veiga on 72 and the Lambs ‘keeper denied Stuart Lewis on 73 but Morison got his name on the scoresheet with 10 remaining when Lewis fed Oliver on the left who in turn squared the ball back to Morison to side foot home from about a yard out. (3-0)

With the game over as a contest Tamworth found some gaps appearing in the Boro’ defence. Firstly Williams struck a freekick at Julian only to see his effort parried away and Taylor struck the far post with a curling shot from the left wing with 4 minutes remaining but there was no way back.


Edwards, Atieno

Taylor, Tuohy (Williams 59), McGrath, Heslop

Law (Weaver 69), Bains, Briscoe, Smith


Subs: Friars, Storer, Mills

Stevenage Borough

Morison (Hakim 82), Oliver
Cole (Guppy 81), Beard, Miller, Dobson (Lewis 57)
Nutter, Santos Gaia, Henry, Fuller

Subs: Potter, Nurse

Yellow Cards: Tuohy 43, Smith 67, Bains 78
Red Cards: none

Goals: Cole 11, Oliver 55, Morison 80

Referee: Mr G Lewis

Att: 2202

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures