Search results to follow...

First half trio send Lambs through

FT: Tamworth 3    1 Evesham United

03 October 2020Under a blanket of rain amidst a downpour over the Midlands, The Lambs welcomed Evesham United to a very wet CR MOT Community Stadium for their Emirates Second Qualifying Round match with £3,375 prize money on offer to the winners, and £1,125 in the pot for the losers.
The only previous time that Tamworth faced Evesham United in the FA Cup was in August 1994 and The Lambs ran out 3-1 winners so were hopeful of a similar outcome against their opponents from the Southern Football League Division One South. Evesham got the game underway with The Lambs attaching the Meadow Street end and with just 83 seconds on the clock, McDonald received a cross field ball from O’Connor, cut back and picked his spot from 30 yards, squeezing the ball inside the left hand upright to open the scoring (1-0, 2 mins)
Gough slid the ball out of the feet of Franklin on the Evesham right wing on 7 but a freekick was awarded and the visitors put the ball into the box, and it fell for Horrell 30 yards out who struck at Singh who batted the ball away.
On 15 Gough was called upon to overhead kick the ball away, Beswick’s ball out of the defence sent O’Connor over the half way line but he was upended by Williams who picked up a booking for his troubles.
After a good move upfield by the home side, Yafai made it 2-0 on 21 with a strike from the left of the box inside the near post (2-0, 21 mins) and McDonald nearly made it 3 shortly after but was pushed wide and could only shoot past Clayton and into the side netting.
Evesham forced The Lambs defence to work hard and clear the ball from danger on 28, but it was 3-0 on 31 when Gordon received the ball in the Lambs half, broke over the halfway line and pushed forwards, taking it past his marker before driving low under Clayton into the far corner from the edge of the box (3-0, 31 mins)
O’Connor forced Clayton into a save with his feet on 35 after cutting back into the box and put the ball into the net on 41 after a great turn and strike from Yafai brought a save from Clayton. And then on 45, Tonks spotted the keeper off his line and lobbed him but it bounced wide of the mark.
McDonald then cleared the target with a right footed strike from 12 yards as the Lambs ended the half as they had started it, on top

HT: Tamworth 3    1 Evesham United

The Lambs got the game back underway but it was the visitors who tried to strike first, forcing a corner on the right which Rowe-Turner cleared.
Evesham continued to push Tamworth back and Singh had to take a long range shot on 51 before his defence were forced to continue to be on their guard against a freekick and a dangerous throw from the left.
On 55, Tonks brought down Hunt in the box after the Evesham player looked like he had advance from an offside position but the referee pointed to the spot and Horrell despatched it past Singh to reduce the arrears (3-1, 56 mins)
On the hour Gough was sent off for a rash challenge on Dinsley and The Lambs made a quick change at the back before play resumed with 10 men.
Paddock was booked for a challenge on Tonks which left the Lambs defender needing treatment on the field before returning to the play.
Tait replaced Yafai on 79 to bring fresh legs onto the field for the final ten minutes and added stoppage time.
The visitors flashed a header at Singh on 84 and at the other end Graham rolled a host just wide of the right hand post with Clayton flatfooted but probably able to have stopped it.
Ten (10) minutes added time was shown at the end of the game and both sides continued to work hard in the rain. An Evesham corner on the left saw a header flash wide of the mark on 99 and the final whistle eventually blew to put The Lambs into the 3rd Qualifying Round on Tuesday 13 October.

Tamworth Team:
Singh, Tonks, Gough, Beswick (c.), Magunda, Rowe-Turner, McDonald (Wilder 63), Meikle, Yafai (Tait 79), O’Connor, Gordon (Graham 68)
Subs: Samuels, Shaw
RC: Gough 60

Evesham United Team:
Clayton, Staten, Mace, Williams, Paddock, Sheehan, Franklin, Dinsley (Lucas 64), Hunt, Horrell, Lymn
Subs: Tustin, Clarke, Johnson, Hayes, Heywood, Rogers
YC: Williams 16, Horrell 25

Attendance: 496

Man of the Match: Footsteps Treatment Clinic chose McDonald

Referee: Mr. Gareth Davis

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures