Search results to follow...

Church inflict first defeat

FT: Alvechurch 1    0 Tamworth

10 October 2020

On the back of The Lambs comeback at Victoria Road, Bromsgrove on Tuesday night to keep the unbeaten run going, Tamworth returned to the area to take Alvechurch on, on their own turf at Lye Meadow who had enjoyed a couple of very good results in their last two run outs. The weather was completely undecided as to what it wanted to do though as rain was followed by sunshine to be quickly followed by rain again before the teams emerged.

Alvechurch got the game underway and tried their luck from the left wing with a high floating shot which signalled their intentions, but completely missed the target.
In the third minute Tilt’s ball from the right wing was flicked on by Meikle into the side netting and then the home side forced a corner on the left which came back out to Brown-Hill whose whipped in cross flashed out past the far post.
Advancing down the left, Wilder was sent up in the air by Cassidy on 6 and Beswick set up the deadball but the home defence cleared their lines.
Tamworth kept the pressure up and McDonagh forced a corner with a blocked cross on the left on 7 and then Hart found Forde whose cross was put behind for another flagkick on 8 which Wilde headed wide of the mark.
McDonald was sent up in the air trying to go past Hull who picked up a booking on 10 and Beswick’s freekick was pushed away and then fired out of play from the rebound.
Beswick looked for the run of McDonald over the halfway line on 13 but Alvechurch cut it out and then The Lambs conceded a corner when Chamberlain got the better of Wilder but the corner was too long and high for Monteiro to get to.
There were shouts for a foul on Hull in the Lambs area on 19 but the referee was having none of it.
A foul out of the Lambs midfield on 22 saw a booking for Brown-Hall on 21, and although Maher punched it away, Tamworth continued to keep the pressure on with Tilt, Meikle and Wilder forcing a left sided corner which McDonald got his head onto but couldn’t keep it down.
Another flowing move out of midfield resulted in another corner on 27 when Brown-Hill booted the ball off the Lambs toes in the box from Wilder’s low cross.
McDonald cut back into the box from the left on 28 but miscued his shot past the far post and Meikle smashed his shot from the edge of the area into a Church defender on 30 as the heavens opened again.
McDonald found McDonagh in the box on 36 but the latter was quickly surrounded before the ball was rattled away from him and cleared.
Brown-Hill was tripped and the freekick smothered by Singh, and then a move into the box by the home side heard shouts for a penalty but there was no movement by the referee for a second time in the game.
Alvechurch took the lead a minute later though in added time when Monteiro sprinted through the left channel and delicately chipped home over Singh who did his best to slide out and prevent him from giving his side the lead at the break (0-1, 45 mins)

HT: Alvechurch 1    0 Tamworth

Tamworth made a change before restarting proceedings and The Lambs tried to keep te ball in the final third of the pitch as much as possible in the opening exchanges.
Alvechurch did break through on 50 though, and it took a combination of Singh and the covering defenders to deny the home side three attempts at a second with the ball eventually being smothered on the line.
Birch’s shot from the edge of the box took a deflection off Forde for a corner on 53 and from it Tamworth broke forward with Forde, Gordon and Tilt combining but Gordon’s shot from inside the box was off target.
Chamberlain was allowed time to set up a tame strike on 58 which was cleared but only as far as Chamberlain on the right and his cross forced Singh to tip the ball over his bar for a corner which was dealt with by the Lambs defence.
Rowe-Turner was booked for pulling Marsella back as he tried to go over the half way line and a teasing ball in from Willets was cleared.
Alvechurch broke through again on 67 with Marselia chasing a loose ball but he stumbled in the box and couldn’t continue.
At the other end Forde’s ball looked to be destined onto the head of Gordon on 70 but it was headed away by the Alvechurch back line.
Tonks and O’Connor came into he fray on 71 and the former got involved straight away but there was no call by the officials for what looked like a high boot on the edge of the area.
Cassidy was booked for time wasting before a throw in on 75 and The Lambs tried to get things going as play entered the final stages of the match.
A long Tonks throw on 82 fell to McDonald but his shot was blocked and the Forde was unable to get through so rolled it to O’Connor but his shot was off target.
Another Tonks torpedo caused Alvechurch to clear their lines on 85 and again on 87 all but three players packed the box but when it fell to Forde he sliced his shot wide of the mark.
A deep ball into the area as 90 minutes ticked around resulted in a need for the physios following an innocuous clash in the box and four minutes was shown. Beswick denied a cross from Wakeling causing problems on 93 and Tamworth countered but Tonk’s ball onto the head of Wilder did not force a save from Maher as the header went high over the target.
And the whistle blew on a first defeat of the season for the season for The Lambs ahead of FA Cup action on Tuesday night.

Tamworth Team:

Singh, Hart (Tonks 71), Wilder, Beswick, Cullinane-Liburd, Rowe-Turner, McDonald, Forde, McDonagh (Gordon HT), Meikle (O’Connor 71), Tilt
Subs: Howkins, Armitage

YC: Rowe-Turner 65

Alvechurch Team:

Maher, Cassidy, Sephton, Brown-Hill, Hull, Willets, Birch (Wakeling 85), Chamberlain (McLean 76), Lloyd, Marselia (Cook 68), Monteiro
Subs: Hill, Hamilton

YC: Hull 10, Brown-Hall 21, Cassidy 75

Attendance: 461

Referee: Mr. N. Pratt

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures