Search results to follow...

Beswick Penalty separates the sides

FT: Romulus 0    1 Tamworth

29 August 2020

The Lambs travelled the short distance to the Castle Vale stadium for the next pre-season run out. Liam Bateman made his first appearance since signing during the lockdown, and with the fixtures having been announced 24 hours prior to the game all the players now had a target of a starting place v Peterborough Sports in their targets.
Tamworth got the game underway, attacking the end of the ground that backs onto the land that eventually meets the motorway.
On 4 a freekick was headed down at the far post by Magunda and put out for a right sided corner which Beswick eventually fired into the box after the referee had sorted out some pushing and shoving in the box.
His dead ball was headed away from danger from under the bar by the home captain.
On 11 the home no. 7 threaded the ball through to the number 9 and beat the offside trap but the latter was unable to take control of the ball and Singh was spared a one on one 8 yards out.
There were a couple of shouts for fouls in the area on Bateman around the 15 minute mark but nether were really clear goalscoring chances as the ball bounced on the 3G surface in front of The Lambs number 7 and the Romulus defender.
Beswick’s deadball from the right was punched away powerfully by the keeper on 18 and he was called into action again on 20 when O’Connor’s snap shot from 18 yards needed to be dealt with.
Yafai found a little space on 21 but saw his shot blocked by a Roms defender More attacking play saw Yafai go down in the D under a hefty challenge on 25 and Beswick stepped up in a central position to strike the deadball but it struck the top of the wall and forced the keeper to punch the ball away as it dropped towards goal.
Another right sided corner came on 28 and Beswick nearly found Yafai and Wilder but neither could get their head onto the dropping ball which went out by the corner flag, for a goal kick.
Bateman whipped the ball in on 31 but it was headed behind for another flag kick on the right which skipped past everyone and out of play.
Wilder linked up with O’Connor to set the latter up with a shot from 25 yards on 33, and the keeper was equal to the angled drive.
A rare move forward by the home side then saw the number 10 strike for goal from 25 yards but his shot lifted his over the target and failed to trouble Singh.
The ball whipped into and through the opposition box without anyone getting a telling touch again on 35 and with 5 to play in the first half Waite replaced O’Connor.
Wilder set up Waite with a golden opportunity within 30 seconds, but Waite missed his finish from 12 yards when well placed. At the other end, a left sided in swinging cross was taken at height by Singh on 43 and then The Lambs number 9 curled a shot from the left just past the far post, with the home keeper seemingly beaten in the final action of the first half.

HT: Romulus 0    0 Tamworth

Romulus got the game back underway with The Lambs having made three changes.
Tamworth’s number 9 made a strong run into the box and forced a corner with his angled shot from the left on 46 but Forde’s left sided corner was headed away.
Gough then tried to drill the ball into the path of Waite for another corner and when it came back in Gough was brought down from a great height for a penalty which Beswick slotted home from the spot (1-0, 49 mins)
Another left sided corner caused problems on 51 and the home side made four changes at the next break.
Tamworth conceded a foul on the Rom right wing on 57 and all but Waite came back to defend the deadball but the Roms number 2 sneaked through and nearly prodded it home.
Forde controlled the ball on the right and pushed it through to the number 9 on the hour, but he was unable to take it first time and The Lambs made changes when the ball ran out of play.
Walters made an immediate impact with a run down the left wing and was upended so Beswick fired the freekick into area and Rowe-Turner met it but he couldn’t direct his header.
More trickiness from Walters forced a left sided corner on 64 which he received back from Beswick and forced another but it ultimately came to nothing.
Waite was brought down on the right of the on 67 setting Beswick up for another deadball chance.
His freekick took a sllght deflection and wrong footed the keeper but he managed to change direction and push it away one handed.
Singh was called into action in the next move and pushed a shot from a Roms substitute over the bar, and his defence coped well enough with the corner.
The second half was not as one sided as the first had been with the home side forcing another corner on 76.
This seemed to be a bit of a wake up call for Tamworth who started to push on with more intent to get into the final third as the minutes ticked on.
Waite struck low from long range on 81 and the Roms keeper smothered it and he then pushed a freekick from the trialist over the bar.
Romulus made a couple of forays forwards with a substitute curling a shot wide, and the home captain headed straight at Singh on 87.
Miekle was brought down under a sliding challenge on 89 giving Waite the freekick 20 yards out and a yellow card for the home number 11.
Waite was unable to keep his freekick down though and the home keeper was not troubled.
From the goal kick, Rowe-Turner was to hold strong to deny the run of the home substitute and Singh took the corner as the final whistle blew.

Tamworth Team:
Singh, Cullinane-Liburd, Wilder (Gough HT), Beswick, Magunda (Fry 62), Rowe-Turner, Bateman (Tonks HT), Forde (Walters 62), trialist (trialist 62), O’Connor (Waite HT), Yafai (Meikle HT)
Subs: (all used)

Romulus Team:

Attendance: 100

Referee: Mr. B Watkiss

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures