Search results to follow...

Grove progress on penalties

FT: Tamworth 1    1 Kidsgrove Athletic

11 February 2020The Lambs took a break from league action to welcome Kidsgrove Athletic to the CR MOT Community Stadium after two attempts to play the Staffordshire Senior Cup tie at Hollinwood Road had had to be postponed due to the weather (frozen pitch and then waterlogged pitch).
Kick off was delayed by 15 minutes due to traffic problems and Tamworth fielding a much changed side that featured a mix of youth and first team, got the game underway attacking the Meadow Street End.
But it was the visitors who had the first chance, a cross from the right from France and a header from Malbon at the back of the box that rattled the cross bar inside the first minute.
Clement was bundled over on the edge of the area on 10, and Hoenes curled the freekick over the bar. Clement struck a shot from the right channel on 12 which Harrison parried away for a throw in on the left, and on 15 Wilder’s cross from the left was met by Little past the far post but went out before it got near the target.
Samuels did well to stop the shot of Thompson on 27 after the Athletic player squeezed into the box and struck right footed form 8 yards out on the right of the area.
Kidsgrove took the lead on 34 when Malbon’s shot from 18 yards looked to be going wide but before Bath managed to stick out a boot and divert it past Samuels from 8 yards out Dryden got there before him for an unfortunate debut own goal (0-1, 34 mins)
At the other end on 38 Little’s ball into the box from the right was met by Hoenes and fell to Dryden who forced Thompson into a good stop at the near post to deny the equaliser.
A minimum of one minute added time was shown at the end of the first half.

HT: Tamworth 0    1 Kidsgrove Athletic

Athletic restarted proceedings, after Kelly had replaced Wilder, and both sides got out of the blocks quickly and purposefully.
After Dryden was upended 25 yards out, Clement struck the outside of the left hand post from the left channel with the deadball.
Clement was involved again on the hour after good work from Waite kept the ball in play and set him up with a strike from the edge of the box on the left of the D but he lifted it over the target.
Bath struck a rasping drive from distance on 65 which saw Samuels in full flight as the ball cleared the crossbar by a short distance.
On 75, After strong work by Dryden in the box to get the ball back to Clement, the resulting strike for goal appeared to strike the raised hand of a ‘Grove defender but the referee pointed to his head and play continued.
Lambs playing coach Robinson came on for Sibanda on 77, the former’s last appearance coming in January 2008 under Gary Mills.
On 83, Walton and Adu-Gyamfi were both shown straight red cards after a bit of shoving on the half way line off the ball resulted in raised hands / arms giving the referee no real option but to send them both for an early bath.
Kidsgrove put nine men behind the ball as minutes ticked away and put the ball into the back of the net after Samuels had blocked Bath’s shot at the far post but the linesman ruled it out for offside.
The Lambs broke down the other end and an inch perfect cross from the left was headed home powerfully underpressure by Robinson, his first goal in 12 years.
The final whistle then blew and took the game straight into penalties

Tait's strike was saved by Harrison (0-0)
Williamson stepped up and Samuels got to it but it went past him to his left (0-1)

Clement fired home powerfully (1-1)
Thompson then blasted it home too to keep the advantage (1-2)

Dryden stepped up and Harrison saved to his left (1-2)
Duffy then sent Samuels the wrong way (1-3)

Hoenes needed to score but his tame chip was easily punched away and Kidsgrove progressed to the next round of the Staffordshire Senior Cup 3-1 on penalty kicks to face Stoke City at Hollinwood Road.

Tamworth Team:
Samuels, Little, Wilder (Kelly HT), Sibanda (Robinson 77), Frances, Walton, Dryden, Tait, Pegg (Waite 55), Clement, Hoenes
Subs: Smith, Reid

Kidsgrove Athletic Team:

Harrison, Thompson, Morris, Hall, Jepson, Butler, France, Blake, Adu-Gyamfi, Malbon (Williamson 81), Bath
Subs (three only): Austin

YC: Thompson 30

Attendance: 144

Referee: Mr. Bradley Tonks

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures