Search results to follow...

Trinity progress at Lambs expense

FT: Tamworth 3    5 Gainsborough Trinity

09 November 2019

After going top of the league a week previously, The Lambs turned their attentions to the FA Trophy and welcomed Gainsborough Trinity, second from bottom in the Northern Premier League, to the CR MOT Community Stadium with £3,000 prize money on offer to the winners, and £1,000 going to the losers.
Trinity featured two former Lambs in their ranks with Simon Russell as captain and Shane Clark on the bench, and also Martin Foster as assistant manager.

The visitors started proceedings and the first real chance fell after 6 minutes with Hannah’s shot going behind for a corner on 7.
The resultant flag kick was half cleared and fell to Litchfield who rifled home his shot off the far post (0-1, 7 mins)
Trinity doubled their advantage within 90 seconds when Morrison fired home from the right of the box over the top of an exposed Singh and into the roof of the net to leave The Lambs faithful well and truly stunned (0-2, 9 mins)
On 17, Clement threaded the ball through to Hoenes and the keeper pulled him down as he went through for a stonewall penalty. Allinson escaped with a booking and Hoenes fired the penalty home to reduce the arrears. (1-2, 17 mins)
Trinity then forced a brace of corners around the 20 minute mark which forced The Lambs to defend strongly.
Hannah was booked for a high challenge on Creaney on 28 and the freekick found Creaney in the area but there was no one on hand to attack the loose ball.
Russell struck a shot over the target on the half hour and five minutes later Gainsborough added another. Frances was then beaten down the Trinity left and the ball cut back past Singh into the box for Morrison to fire home his second of the afternoon (1-3, 35 mins)
Waite forced a low stop from Allinson with a drive from the left of the box on 38 and on 41 the referee waited until the ball went out of play to show Middleton a card for a late and high challenge on Clement on the half way line.
Hoenes sprinted into the box twice in the final five minutes of the first half and despite going down under what seemed like heavy pressure, the referee waved away calls for penalties both time and a claim for a penalty at the other end was also waved away before the half time whistle blew.

HT: Tamworth 1    3 Gainsborough Trinity

As the temperature dropped, the rain continued to fall as it had in the first half and Frances was replaced by Little at left back before the second half got underway.
Thornton climbed over Creaney on the halfway line for a Lambs freekick on 48 and Yafai picked it up on the left and fired a low shot into the side netting that Allinson was happy to leave alone.
Hannah upended Hoenes just short of the half way line on 52 but he escaped a second card of the afternoon, the deep freekick was nodded on by Creaney, but Allinson was quickest to the loose ball.
Kaziboni replace Clement a few minutes before the hour mark and Little was booked for kicking the ball away on 58.
A deep corner from Yafai was taken confidently by Allinson on 63 and on 64 Chadwick was booked for a clumsy challenge on Wilder in front of the Shed.
Wilder put a teasing cross into the box on 65 and Yafai met it with a delicate but directed header that looked like it had gone wide, so it took a while for the partisan crowd to realise it had sneaked in to reduce the arrears (2-3, 65 mins)
Hannah struck his shot from the left of the box into the 3G surface and it ballooned up and over Singh and onto the top of the bar before going out of play on 70.
He made it count a minute later though, glancing his header from a Clark cross on the right past Singh and into the far corner.
Obeng replaced Waite for the final 17 minutes and Tamworth forced a corner on the left but it was too long for Wilder to do anything with at the back of the box.
Russell then finished a move down the left and into the box with a considered placed right footed finish into the bottom right on 75 to give Trinity their fifth of the afternoon (2-5, 76 mins)
But on 78 Creaney reduced the advantage with a right footed volley off a right sided Kaziboni cross into the danger area. (3-5, 78 mins)
Another freekick gave The Lambs another chance on 80 and Creaney headed straight at Allinson and a handball by Williamson earned him a booking but Yafai’s header was wide of the mark from the resulting deadball.
Gainsborough surged forwards in the 88th minute and Hannah tried his luck from distance but missed the target by a few feet.
At the other end, in added time Hoenes set up Kaziboni but his shot from the edge of the area was blocked and the same player fired a right sided cross into the area which Creaney met but it was also blocked for a corner.
Litchfield went through but was denied by Singh on 93 and despite some last ditch pressing from The Lambs in the final minute or two the FA Trophy journey ended with Gainsborough in possession of the ball, and a place in the next round.

Tamworth Team:

Singh, Frances (Little 45), Wilder, Yafai, Magunda (c.), Rowe-Turner, Waite (Obeng 73), Fry, Creaney, Clement (Kaziboni 57), Hoenes
Unused: Gough, Walton, James

YC: Little 58

Gainsborough Trinity Team:

Allinson, James, Green, Middleton, Williamson, Thornton, Morrison (Horton 87), Chadwick (Clark 68), Hannah, Russell (c.), Litchfield
Subs (4 only): Maguire, Hotte

YC: Allinson , Hannah, 28, Middleton 41, Chadwick 64

Attendance: 515

Man of the Match: Buildbase Tamworth chose Hoenes

Referee: Mr. J. Neild

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures