Search results to follow...

9 men Lambs Trophy run ends in East London

FT: Dagenham & Redbridge 3    0 Tamworth

07 February 2006

Tamworth travelled to East London for their FA Trophy replay against Dagenham and Redbridge and made four changes to the side that ground out a uninspiring 0-0 draw at The Lamb on Saturday.

Boss Mark Cooper, Danny Davidson (back from suspension), Scott Stamps, and Peter Folkes (returning from a niggly injury) all came into the starting eleven with just four substitutes named, including youth team star Shaun Ridgway. Adie Smith (tight hamstring) and Graham Ward (bug) both sat out, while Carl Heggs took one of the places on the bench and Steve Melton, the other player missing from Saturday’s draw, had returned to Boston after his loan period.

At a drizzly rain soaked Glyn Hopkin Stadium, Daggers forced a corner after just 3 minutes with Bampton putting the ball behind from Glenn Southam’s centre but the home side couldn’t force Mark Gayle, struggling with a dead leg(??) obtained in the pre-match warm-up, into a meaningful save from the flag kick.
Chris Moore then missed a guilt edged chance after Gayle failed to clear a long range ball through and Moore cleared the cross bar with his effort from 8 yards.
The game was a lot livelier than the 90 minutes at the Lamb on Saturday, with the home side looking the hungrier of the two sides in the opening exchanges opting for the quick break.
Sam Saunders fired in a good free kick on 16 but Gayle was equal to the effort.
But The Lambs weren’t doing themselves any favours when a free kick was conceded on the edge of the area on 18 which allowed Moore a shot on goal past a struggling Gayle to make it 0-1 to the Daggers. Gayle couldn’t continue from that point and sub defender Jimmy Turner came on as sub ‘keeper.
Turner did well to establish himself as a makeshift ‘keeper with two well taken, but relatively easy, stops from shots at goal as the Lambs looked to forge a way back into the tie.
Disaster struck when
Michael Tuohy had to be stretchered off (suspected broken ankle) after a tame challenge on 36 forcing the second Tamworth substitute of the evening bringing Carl Heggs into the fray adding yet more woe to an already bad night for Cooper’s men.
To their credit, Tamworth defended strongly and looked for a quick surge out towards Tony Roberts goal, but found the home defence more than happy to sit back and clear as required.
A first corner for Tamworth came in first half stoppage time but Matt Redmile was beaten to the near post header and Craig Mackail-Smith’s run from deep in his own half cleared any danger as the whistle blew.

HT: 0-1

70 seconds into the second half, Carl Heggs received his marching orders for a second yellow card after a 'nothing' challenge on Southam to see the Lambs go for the remaining 43 minutes with 10 men.
Dagenham with a man advantage and a goal to the good pushed forward trying to test Turner, but the youngster was rarely troubled thanks to the combined efforts of The Lambs defence. And when the ball did squeeze through he did well to protect his goal.
Tamworth, obviously frustrated by this time, conceded a number of free kicks but the home side wasted their set pieces.
Until the 64th minutes when another free kick taken by Moore 10 yards further out than his first, curled over the top of the wall and past Turner. (0-2)
A third, and killer, goal came on 66 after Turner had made a great diving save but the ball came back in and Southam finished from close range to put the tie beyond the Lambs reach. (0-3)
With the whole situation now favouring the home side, small gaps started to appear - Matt Williams made a run into the box and forced Roberts into a close range block on 72 with Tamworth’s first real effort on target but the ball was cleared from danger.
Williams had a go with a fierce shot and then a chip by Alan Nielson almost pulled one back on 78 but Roberts tipped the effort over the bar and the corner was cleared easily.
Turner got down excellently to Southam’s low drive into the left hand corner to deny a fourth goal on 80 minutes and his opposing number Roberts was again called into action on 84 when James Francis’ cross nearly sneaked under the crossbar.
As if to add insult to injury, a
last minute scuffle ultimately involving most of the 21 players on the park ended with red cards for Neilson and Saunders.

FT: 0-3
Jackson, Davidson
Williams, Stamps, Cooper (Francis 52), Neilson,
Tuohy (Heggs 37), Folkes, Redmile, Bampton
Gayle (Turner 20)

Subs: Ridgway, (4 subs only)

Mackail-Smith (Schoburgh 89), Moore
Southam, Saunders, Leberl, Vickers, Foster,
Uddin, Cole, Blackett

Subs: Hogan, Goodwin, Francis, Clark

Yellow Cards: Heggs 43, Heggs 47, Stamps 50,
Jackson 90, Turner 90
Red Cards: (Heggs 47), Neilson 90, Saunders 90

Goals: Moore 18, Moore 64, Southam 66
Att: 922

Match Reports

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Snapchat 


Fixtures to follow shortly...
View all Fixtures